Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,225,412 times

Advertisements

Spectrum internet has been very solid for me all over Austin and San Antonio.

The thing is that when you unbundle, they jack the price of internet only way up.

So its a constant battle with them over price.

There is a major CON with ATT. If you do not bundle with them, you can not get unlimited internet. They cap it, and charge you fees if you exceed the cap.

So currently we pay 45 per month for Spectrum 100/10 internet and 34.99 for DirecTV now app on roku.

We can not get good antenna reception so there are few other options for local channels and a few cable channels.

I may negotiate with Spectrum and bundle their internet with their Spectrum tv app to play on my roku, but haven't called yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:25 PM

109 posts, read 116,654 times
As expected there is no one size fits all solution at a reasonable price. Whether or not you have fiber optic and how your services are bundled seem to be key issues.
Is U-verse clearly better than Spectrum? There is no clear answer it seems.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:16 AM

173 posts, read 291,191 times
Default Decent internet providers?

Does anyone know of a decent internet provider in San Antonio?

I have tried both Spectrum and AT&T, but they are both terrible and expensive. Does anyone have suggestions?

Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,178,759 times
To get anything but those two, you have to live in an area served by another provider.

Grande Internet and Google Fiber each serve a small portion of the city. Entering your address or the address of a place you might move to on their web sites is a good way to start the process of switching. Important to note that Google Fiber only serves single-family homes... no apartment complexes yet.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 PM

4,360 posts, read 7,276,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
To get anything but those two, you have to live in an area served by another provider.

Grande Internet and Google Fiber each serve a small portion of the city. Entering your address or the address of a place you might move to on their web sites is a good way to start the process of switching. Important to note that Google Fiber only serves single-family homes... no apartment complexes yet.

Yes, AT&T and Spectrum are the only two widely available providers in the San Antonio market, at this time.

Grande entered the San Antonio market about 20 years ago, IIRC. But their build-out stalled a few years later. Grande service area is mostly inside Loop 410 across the north side, between IH10 West, and IH35. They also serve a few neighborhoods along the 281 corridor just north of the airport.

Google is in the process of building out a fiber network in San Antonio, but has only rolled out the service to a few neighborhoods so far. Google's only offering in San Antonio is their 1 gigabit fiber internet @ $55 monthly, which is significantly undercutting competitors' pricing for comparable speeds, and is even less expensive than competitors' lower speed tiers, in some cases. Google is not offering bundled services in this market. Google will supposedly be widely available in San Antonio proper, upon completion of the build-out, but they apparently don't disclose their rollout schedule in advance.

I know there are people in my neighborhood who can't wait for Google to become available, often expressing dissatisfaction with the service from the three current providers we have available to us. They are lured by Google's attractive pricing, and the presumption that their customer service and reliability of the network will be superior to those other three providers.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I know there are people in my neighborhood who can't wait for Google to become available, often expressing dissatisfaction with the service from the three current providers we have available to us. They are lured by Google's attractive pricing, and the presumption that their customer service and reliability of the network will be superior to those other three providers.
So, you're in a neighborhood with Grande service and people there are dissatisfied with that option?

Old 11-11-2018, 06:40 AM

4,360 posts, read 7,276,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
So, you're in a neighborhood with Grande service and people there are dissatisfied with that option?
We are in Grande's service area, and based on Nextdoor posts, there is general dissatisfaction with Grande, as well as AT&T and Spectrum.

Any time there is an outage in the neighborhood (be it widespread or isolated), I'll see posts from neighbors griping about the service, and asking when is Google ever going to get here.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
We are in Grande's service area, and based on Nextdoor posts, there is general dissatisfaction with Grande, as well as AT&T and Spectrum.

Any time there is an outage in the neighborhood (be it widespread or isolated), I'll see posts from neighbors griping about the service, and asking when is Google ever going to get here.
I have a Facebook friend who used to post over and over again how wonderful it was to have Grande for his cable provider. This was a few years back when it was the only provider in town offering the NFL Network. I haven't seen him mention it lately, so perhaps it isn't as good as it used to be.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM

1,514 posts, read 895,444 times
Default Google Fiber and other internet options for zip 78254 (Helotes/San Antonio)?

I am moving into the 78254 area code of San Antonio in December 2018. My home will be finished.

Anyone in this zip code get Google fiber?
If not, what are the current internet providers?

Im currently with Spectrum and only get the lowest speed internet with no TV or other services. With just that, my bill still comes to about $70 per month

Old 11-28-2018, 01:44 PM

779 posts, read 1,664,099 times
If I'm not mistaken I think it's just AT&T and Spectrum out there.
I pay $65/mo. for only internet and it's the 100 mb/s speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio