Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,684 times

Advertisements

We used ATT Uverse last time we were here, but my husband has been looking at Spectrum because of faster internet speeds. Any experience and opinions?
We had DIRECTV in Colorado and I hated them. Sorry in advance for people who love it.

Last edited by elnina; 11-11-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
I had Uverse for years and am thrilled to be cancelling them. They may work in some areas but we constantly had the WiFi go out for no reason. On Nextdoor I learned it was not well supported in my neighborhood. Even when it worked well it was drastically slower than our Spectrum. My kids are no longer screaming about lagging in Fortnight (hallelujah!)

Old 07-15-2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks. That’s what my husband is worried about. I had no issues last time, but it’s 6 years later and we are more northwest.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:15 PM

173 posts, read 290,057 times
I personally hated AT&T. The internet speed would be abysmal and the connection was spotty. I switched to Spectrum and have not had any issues so far, except for the occasional slow connection.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
It should be noted that AT&T has apparently completed fiber-to-the-premises upgrades to much of San Antonio, and is offering 1 gigabit internet. With that, DirecTV is the service they are now bundling for TV.

I'm not sure if their Uverse services are being offered to new customers anymore., where their fiber is available.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It should be noted that AT&T has apparently completed fiber-to-the-premises upgrades to much of San Antonio, and is offering 1 gigabit internet. With that, DirecTV is the service they are now bundling for TV.

I'm not sure if their Uverse services are being offered to new customers anymore., where their fiber is available.
Hmmm. We had fiber the last time. But looking online I see only 25mbps of internet speed.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
I'm on Uverse out by Seaworld. I have optical cable in the back yard. Last year they came by with new equipment, no charge, and swapped everything out. I'm still on what they call Uverse but I think it's a slow version of their optical. Otherwise, I see no point in their replacing all of the equipment which was less than a year old. My download speeds are almost always 28M. I have no cap either, well, that's not exactly true but I never get much over 10% usage and I think I'm on it a lot. I've had no issues with it but I'm a single user, no kids who all want to access it at the same time.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Hmmm. We had fiber the last time. But looking online I see only 25mbps of internet speed.
Fiber doesn't have the distance from the node service limitations that the Uverse fiber/copper service had, which is why they can offer 1 gigabit speeds.

Fiber to the premises can do a lot better than 25mbps. If AT&T doesn't have it there yet, I imagine they will shortly, as they have been trying to beat Google to the finish line, which has already started rolling out their 1 gigabit internet in some areas of San Antonio. Google's sole offering in San Antonio is 1 gigabit internet for $55/month. Google is only offering that one speed tier, and is not offering bundled services in this market.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Fiber doesn't have the distance from the node service limitations that the Uverse fiber/copper service had, which is why they can offer 1 gigabit speeds.

Fiber to the premises can do a lot better than 25mbps. If AT&T doesn't have it there yet, I imagine they will shortly, as they have been trying to beat Google to the finish line, which has already started rolling out their 1 gigabit internet in some areas of San Antonio. Google's sole offering in San Antonio is 1 gigabit internet for $55/month. Google is only offering that one speed tier, and is not offering bundled services in this market.
This is all a little above my understanding level. 😂😂

I do know that we looked up our address and Google isn’t available for my address, yet.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
This is all a little above my understanding level. 😂😂

I do know that we looked up our address and Google isn’t available for my address, yet.
If you call or log onto Spectrum or AT&T, and give them your specific street address, they can tell you what your options are for new internet service at that location.

For example, I recently checked with Spectrum, and was told 400mbps is the only tier available at my address, although I know there are legacy customers still on lower speed tiers/lower cost plans. They just won't do new service connections at those speeds/monthly rates (think of it like being on a grandfathered cell phone plan).

AT&T shows three tiers available at my address: Basic 5mbps (probably the old Uverse), then 100mbps & 1 gigabit, both of which are advertised as fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio