Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,264,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
If I'm not mistaken I think it's just AT&T and Spectrum out there.
Right now, that's probably the case, although the Westover Hills area was the launch area for Google Fiber service in San Antonio about a year ago, and I don't think 78254 is too far from whatever would be considered "Westover Hills area". Since then Google has expanded to the West End Park area on the inner west side, and more recently to the East Terrell Hills area (not to be confused with the city of Terrell Hills) and Wilshire Terrace neighborhoods on the city's east/northeast side.

You may have to check your specific address with each provider to see if service is available, or maybe a neighbor's address, if your new one isn't in the system yet. Internet speed offerings from each provider can vary from one neighborhood to another, and you may currently be on a legacy or grandfathered speed tier that is no longer offered for new connections. For example, I called Spectrum a few months back to check internet and pricing offerings at my residence as a new customer, and I was quoted either $64.99 or $69.99 monthly for their lowest tier standalone internet available at my address, which they said would be 400mbps.

Google Fiber has been offering 1 GBPS as the only speed tier in San Antonio, for a monthly price of $55. They apparently don't disclose which neighborhood is next inline to get their service, until immediately beforehand. Also note that Google might not extend service to addresses not inside the San Antonio city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:30 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,511,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
I am moving into the 78254 area code of San Antonio in December 2018. My home will be finished.

Anyone in this zip code get Google fiber?
If not, what are the current internet providers?

Im currently with Spectrum and only get the lowest speed internet with no TV or other services. With just that, my bill still comes to about $70 per month
Purchase your own modem/modems. Renting those cheap boxes from Spectrum will increase your monthly bill $10. A good modem will pay for itself in a year or so.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Purchase your own modem/modems. Renting those cheap boxes from Spectrum will increase your monthly bill $10. A good modem will pay for itself in a year or so.
I believe Spectrum changed their policy a while back, so they no longer charge extra for using their modem. Of course, you can continue to furnish your own, if you prefer.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:50 PM

173 posts, read 290,822 times
Good luck. Google has been rolling out their service very slowly. The only big providers are AT&T and Spectrum, which both suck. Pick your poison.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:26 PM

1,514 posts, read 893,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
.............Google Fiber has been offering 1 GBPS as the only speed tier in San Antonio, for a monthly price of $55..........
I thought the price you listed might have been a typo so I called Google. Wow! Not a typo. Google offers 1,000 MB/s (1 GBPS) download and 1,000 Mb/s upload for just $55 a month.

I currently have Spectrum internet only with their lowest internet speed option and I am not being charged a "modem fee" plus I have my own wireless router (so no fee there either). For about $70 a month with Spectrum, I am only getting 200 Mb/s download and 20 Mb/s upload.

That means that Google is offering 5 times as fast internet downloading and 50 times as fast internet uploading as Spectrum at about $20 bucks less per month. How can this be? Perhaps I am missing something

Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,066,828 times
You're missing the fact that it's not available in that area as of yet. It could be a week, a year or 10 years...we don't know.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
You're missing the fact that it's not available in that area as of yet. It could be a week, a year or 10 years...we don't know.
I'm old enough to remember when UA Columbia, which became Paragon, then Time Warner, and now Spectrum, was awarded the CATV franchise for San Antonio in the late 1970s. IIRC it took about seven years to complete the build-out for the entire city, with the downtown area being the last to have CATV service available.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
That means that Google is offering 5 times as fast internet downloading and 50 times as fast internet uploading as Spectrum at about $20 bucks less per month. How can this be? Perhaps I am missing something
My nephew lives in Austin, and was paying $70 a month last I heard for his 1 Gigabit Google Fiber service.

But why so much less in San Antonio? I'm not sure if it might cause competitors to become more price-competitive with Google, or if Google will have to raise their prices in the future, after they have completed their local build-out, and snagged a lot of customers away from competitors with their low pricing.

One observer I saw post on Nextdoor a while back surmised that because Google is not investing in a CATV service for San Antonio, that is a lot of infrastructure and head-end equipment for which a significant cost savings can be realized, and they are passing that savings on to local customers. So yes, they can likely maintain a lower pricing model than competitors for standalone service, in that poster's opinion.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,746,561 times
don't get hughsnet they are crooks!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM

73 posts, read 112,608 times
Any updates? Looking for info on when it’s coming to Braun &1604?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio