Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,803,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It's one of the only original stores from when Huebner Oaks left. Bed Bath and Beynd, Old Navy, Ross, Claire's, Yankee Candle (is that still there?), Victoria's Secret, Chico's and Anne Taylor (is that still there?) are the only ones left. At least the last time i was there they were there.
Yankee Candle is still there.

It is a slow process that never stops but it seems as if businesses that cater to middle class to uppper middle class families are moving further out. A case of "white flight" if you want to call it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 AM

262 posts, read 434,341 times
Thanks all. That is a great point about the lack of drive-thru. Interestingly, what made the Huebner Oaks location an appealing place to hang out, was its relatively peaceful, intimate setting (that it would not have had in a more car-friendly location).

Old 01-14-2020, 07:16 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,867,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Yankee Candle is still there.

It is a slow process that never stops but it seems as if businesses that cater to middle class to uppper middle class families are moving further out. A case of "white flight" if you want to call it that.
So - you're saying that whites are leaving the area, and therefor stores are, as well? Interesting - I tend to think it's more of an issue of evolving tastes/business models. And some locations simply don't do well for any number of reasons, access, traffic volume, etc - because other stores in that area who meet their customer's needs continue to do well.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,746,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
So - you're saying that whites are leaving the area, and therefor stores are, as well? Interesting - I tend to think it's more of an issue of evolving tastes/business models. And some locations simply don't do well for any number of reasons, access, traffic volume, etc - because other stores in that area who meet their customer's needs continue to do well.
More like Mexican nationals are going to other places and not Huebner oaks. I remember going there over Easter and Christmas in high school and being the only Texas license plate in a sea of Mexican license plates. I don’t think I saw one Mexican license plate the last time I went over the holidays last year when I went to Ulta.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
More like Mexican nationals are going to other places and not Huebner oaks. I remember going there over Easter and Christmas in high school and being the only Texas license plate in a sea of Mexican license plates. I don’t think I saw one Mexican license plate the last time I went over the holidays last year when I went to Ulta.
Hmmmm.....doesn't quite seem like "white flight" then......lol I never understood the allure of that place anyway, to be honest. It always felt cramped and "choppy".

Old 01-15-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm.....doesn't quite seem like "white flight" then......lol I never understood the allure of that place anyway, to be honest. It always felt cramped and "choppy".
It was/is easy to get to living at 10/de Zavala. It’s a good inside 1604 but outside 410 shopping center. La cantera just gets so crowded.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
It was/is easy to get to living at 10/de Zavala. It’s a good inside 1604 but outside 410 shopping center. La cantera just gets so crowded.
And that's the thing - it's a question of meeting a need. If enough folks feel it does, the businesses there will do well. It didn't "do it" for me - but I'm not a shopper anyway - plus I tend to be somewhat claustrophobic, and something about that area just put me on edge. Having said that - I would never wish a business ill - I want 'em all to do well.....but it's ultimately their customers that decide that.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I put it in quotes for a reason. Don't read too much into it.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
How often do you shop at Huebner Oaks now that you reside in Austin? I was there last month to pick up a birthday present for a relative and there was quite a few Mexican plated vehicles in the lot. The Target at Crossroads is the same way so I am used to it.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
How often do you shop at Huebner Oaks now that you reside in Austin? I was there last month to pick up a birthday present for a relative and there was quite a few Mexican plated vehicles in the lot. The Target at Crossroads is the same way so I am used to it.
Last time I was there was post Christmas 2018. That was just my experience, I may be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio