Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 43,364 times

Advertisements

I say the west side is the badd side of town. Anywhere by Lanier/ Fox tech high school from zarzamora/poplar all the way down to Merida. I grew up by the Casiano Courts. And it was pretty badd. I just think people who grow up there are so used to it they don't realize they live in the ghetto. I moved a little bit more North past fredricksburg/Zarzamora or Edison highschool area and noticed a world of difference. I felt the difference bigtime. Or maybe its just that I grew up there in the late eighties early ninties. But I remember alot of drivebys and killings growing up. I remember seeing a dead man in front of my yard as a kid. I got plenty of horror stories I could write forever. From my dad getting stabbed on numerous occasions, to drive bys at my house intended for gang members. Whenever I talk to old friends from the hood we always reminis of all the badd things we remember seeing growing up. My sister is in prison, and my brother is a junkie. Heroin seems to be making a comback there I think. When I would visit my sister in jail I would see the whole neighbrohood there. It doesn't seem as bad anymore when I go back home but than again I don't live there. My dad who still lives there is constantly having his home broken into. My sister who was a junkie before she got caught broke into alot of homes to get her drugs. Her and her friends would steal from rich homes and rob rich people. So I believe thats the reason why crime is evenly dispersed throughout the city. But theres alot of good people there. Been there for generations. They got that "never leave the Westside" mentality. They are probably the most proud people of their neighborhoods. I know alot of people who have gotten good paying jobs and make good money who refuse to move. It is definitely a tight community. I know I am writing alot. Just takin a stroll down memory lane I guess. I moved to the Edison High school area and its much better. But I have lived away from San Antonio for years now in Army communities and notice the difference in those neighborhoods from even that neighborhood. Most people I know would consider that area Ghetto. Alot of people don't even know San Antonio has projects. Because theres nothing to do around those areas anyway. All the nice places are in Downtown or the outerside of San Antonio. With all that said San Antonio is a great town. I have been to alot of cities and never feared being in them. Ironically I have been more nervous in smaller hillbilly towns. But I'm hispanic so I'm sure people feel the same way when they are in predominantly hispanic neighborhoods. After being in Fallujah I guess I'll never look at another "hood" the same way again. Anywayzzzzzzzz..... I wrote alot but take it easy . God bless . West side pride!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,306,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmex83 View Post
I say the west side is the badd side of town. Anywhere by Lanier/ Fox tech high school from zarzamora/poplar all the way down to Merida. I grew up by the Casiano Courts. And it was pretty badd. I just think people who grow up there are so used to it they don't realize they live in the ghetto. I moved a little bit more North past fredricksburg/Zarzamora or Edison highschool area and noticed a world of difference. I felt the difference bigtime. Or maybe its just that I grew up there in the late eighties early ninties. But I remember alot of drivebys and killings growing up. I remember seeing a dead man in front of my yard as a kid. I got plenty of horror stories I could write forever. From my dad getting stabbed on numerous occasions, to drive bys at my house intended for gang members. Whenever I talk to old friends from the hood we always reminis of all the badd things we remember seeing growing up. My sister is in prison, and my brother is a junkie. Heroin seems to be making a comback there I think. When I would visit my sister in jail I would see the whole neighbrohood there. It doesn't seem as bad anymore when I go back home but than again I don't live there. My dad who still lives there is constantly having his home broken into. My sister who was a junkie before she got caught broke into alot of homes to get her drugs. Her and her friends would steal from rich homes and rob rich people. So I believe thats the reason why crime is evenly dispersed throughout the city. But theres alot of good people there. Been there for generations. They got that "never leave the Westside" mentality. They are probably the most proud people of their neighborhoods. I know alot of people who have gotten good paying jobs and make good money who refuse to move. It is definitely a tight community. I know I am writing alot. Just takin a stroll down memory lane I guess. I moved to the Edison High school area and its much better. But I have lived away from San Antonio for years now in Army communities and notice the difference in those neighborhoods from even that neighborhood. Most people I know would consider that area Ghetto. Alot of people don't even know San Antonio has projects. Because theres nothing to do around those areas anyway. All the nice places are in Downtown or the outerside of San Antonio. With all that said San Antonio is a great town. I have been to alot of cities and never feared being in them. Ironically I have been more nervous in smaller hillbilly towns. But I'm hispanic so I'm sure people feel the same way when they are in predominantly hispanic neighborhoods. After being in Fallujah I guess I'll never look at another "hood" the same way again. Anywayzzzzzzzz..... I wrote alot but take it easy . God bless . West side pride!!!!!!!
I'm looking at a 91 year old house for sale on Monterey near Elmendorf, south of Buena Vista, west of S. Zarzamora, North of Guadalupe, in "Prospect Hill".

Would you consider this ghetto?

Would you consider the South Side safer?

Just asking since you grew up over there.... thought you might know. We are having a hell of time finding something we can afford that isn't in a neighborhood that is "questionable".

Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 PM

27 posts, read 127,412 times
Depends on your definition of bad. I would say the nuveau riche, white trash, new money mentality and attitudes of people in far north San Antonio is the worst.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM

898 posts, read 2,565,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL IV View Post
Depends on your definition of bad. I would say the nuveau riche, white trash, new money mentality and attitudes of people in far north San Antonio is the worst.
At least you wont have to dodge bullets up there

Old 03-04-2007, 12:21 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,449,008 times
Nope just leased lexi, and coke heads

Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 AM

898 posts, read 2,565,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Nope just leased lexi, and coke heads
haha thats better to me

Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 PM

531 posts, read 2,076,043 times
Default Tobin Hill

What are your opinon(s) on Tobin Hill & Beacon Hill ( closer to Monte Vista not other side of the train)

Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,609,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would say the areas surrounding the downtown area. Central west. Central south. Central east. Central north.
Think you have that a bit wrong North Central is a good area

Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 108,495 times
I have been in the "ghetto" of south SA for 4 years. We thought we made a good decision when we picked our home location...but, I've been stuck in the middle of a shooting 1/2 mile from my home, and I have been robbed on the SE side. I live in the Roosevelt Ave. and Military Dr. area. If you watch the news, there are crime spurts all over SA, but on the south side, it is reoccurant, and a lot is not televised if it's not big time crime. Prostitution is high along Presa and Roosevelt going toward downtown, and with that, we all know comes drug activity, robbery, etc. There is graffiti every where. There are homeless people who sleep under a bridge not far from my home. Everytime we leave our home, it is no shock for us to see police speeding up the street following another patrol unit to who knows where, and at the rate of speed they're going, it most likely isn't to the What A Burger for a bite to eat. I personally want out of SA, it is too big and crime riddled for this country girl. But to at least get out of the south side will make me happier. If someone wants to check out the crime activity for SA, go to the Bexar County Sheriff website and look at their jail activity log-it's free-and it shows all persons booked into the Bexar County jail and for what.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM

351 posts, read 1,586,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL IV View Post
This sounds racist to me as I am a white person who spent his entire life on the Northside.

I nor any of my Hispanic friends would put up with an attitude like yours.

Your attitude does not belong here

crazedchef in Baghdad
Supporting our troops so people like you can spout off hatred for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio