Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,248,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Exactly, you'd DRIVE. Try walking next time...BIG difference.
I've walked. I attended St. Philips in 2002 to do my basics. While there I would frequently go to Lindberg Park and just sit and read. I've attended meetings held at St. Philips and then walked from St. Philips to that corner store/grocery store on Commerce and Walters.

I've walked from a friend's family members home on Hudson St. over the Walter St. bridge (that goes over the train depot) to the McDonalds at Walters and 35. I did that when I was 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 05:44 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,889,926 times
I would say the areas surrounding the downtown area. Central west. Central south. Central east. Central north.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:28 AM

545 posts, read 2,285,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would say the areas surrounding the downtown area. Central west. Central south. Central east. Central north.
Really? You'd call Monte Vista a bad part of town? I'd consider that Central North...King William? Isn't that Central South?

Old 02-17-2007, 07:28 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,423,758 times
Oh come on, every city has to have an area where you know you just don't go to at certain times of the day.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:23 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,906,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
ShaneSA

What did you mean about the NW side of town last year, I really want to know where this comes from. Lived around Wurzbach, IH-10 area since the 70's and have not seen too much gang activity. I really want to know because I have been out of the country since '05 and have not kept up. Was your reason because of that isolated incident in Stone Oak? Or have there been a lot of other attacks? Graffitti, gang fights, shootings. My parents have not mentioned anything and I think they would be amazed that there little burb was being labled the "Bad" side of town.
Not being accusitory, just want to know because I have been out of the loop.
Growing up, the "Bad" side was the East side by downtown, & the far West side. I only knew this from my Dad who worked for ADT back in the day and used to go on calls and he told me about where the majority of break ins were.
thanks,

crazedchef
I didn't mean to upset you. sorry. By northwest I meant much further out northwest. I don't have details but I remember epeisodes around Infram Mall. I only remember the incidents becasue a friend lived in the area. It's not a "gang" community. My point was that the crime is everywhere.
My point on the Stone Oak incident is that it is everywhere.
I've never felt unsafe anywhere in the city.
Mostly it's using common sense. Don't flash cash, don't look like a target for the muggers and don't go where it doesn't look "right".
If the robbers and muggers want a victim and you don't look like one, they move on to someone who looks like a target.
It's always worked for me no matter what city or what part of SA I have been.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM

351 posts, read 1,586,514 times
Hello,

Thanks for the info Shane.

You are right about how you carry yourself. I have never felt unsafe in SA. Of course I am 6'3" and 250 lbs.

I spent a little time in Amsterdam and I was always looking over my back in that city, everywhere. Besides the British Hooligans, there are the hard core drug addicts and the general scammers. Everybody wants to take advantage of you in that city. I almost died because someone drugged my drink and instead of going straight to the Hospital, I went straight to the hotel when I started feeling funny. Never did find out who drugged me, someone trying to rob me I am sure.

That is an unsafe city!!

crazedchef

Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 PM

334 posts, read 916,461 times
All these disagreements about where the "bad parts" of SA are, in my opinion, speaks well of the city. A truly bad ghetto is undeniable and agreed upon by just about everyone.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:34 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,251,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
All these disagreements about where the "bad parts" of SA are, in my opinion, speaks well of the city. A truly bad ghetto is undeniable and agreed upon by just about everyone.
That's a wonderful way of putting it

Old 02-18-2007, 07:52 PM

Monte Vista is further north. I really meant the areas immediately surrounding downtown, like the outskirts.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:53 PM

I do remember hearing about a young couple who were attacked in the San Antonio College area sometime in the late 80's. It was a nearby park at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio