Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 11:53 AM

237 posts, read 851,036 times

Advertisements

Here's the 1946 wedding reception foto I mentioned previously, taken inside the old Kit Kast Klub on Fredericksberg Rd. It must have been a pretty swank place once upon a time but this is the closest we'll ever get. Bud
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-kit-kat-1946.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Here's the 1946 wedding reception foto I mentioned previously, taken inside the old Kit Kast Klub on Fredericksberg Rd. It must have been a pretty swank place once upon a time but this is the closest we'll ever get. Bud
Attachment 42981
Bud...that photo is priceless! I can picture Ricky Ricardo there in his white suit and black tie singing Babbaloo! Those rattan zebra covered chairs would be worth a small fortune right now in some markets....and there are ton of them! Amazing! Super super neat photo! Thanks for sharing it!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Glad you dig the Kit Kat Klub shot Cat and you're on target with Ricky R bustin' the bongos on stage had he been in SA then. This was a large wedding party for some San Antonio Chinese American friends of my family who got hitched right after WW II at First Baptist Church downtown then partied at the Kit Kat afterward and are still together 63 later.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question for someone does anybody remember all the locations of the san antonio savings and travis savings and loan branches? Wondering if anyone has a directory from the early 80's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Will, I have a 1976 Polk's directory.

4 or 5 listings for Travis

20 some for SAS

mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Mud do you think you can scan those whenever you have time? would appriciate it if you can.

Here ya go Will..........

What are you working on??

Travis Savings....... 5 1/4 interest...
Gerald Ford was President.
He's gone, but we haven't forgotten him biting into a tamale with the shuck still wrapped..

Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times
Well looks like the ol timers are out on CD on a Saturday night!!! lmao!!! Gotta love this new tech. chit!!!

First off to Melanie, 3 pages back..........I remember Mr. Naturals. Got a really cool "Granny sun dress" there around 1976. Mr. N and other "head shops" have been written about somewhere, just have to hit the "search" button.

Marbles??? I remember marbles!!! My back yard in my marble playing days was part of the "golden miles" between Jone Maltz./McCullough/410 across from Spartan Atlantic and Kidy City. A dry caliche field with nothin' but giant red ants, horny toads, dry tall grass and a few Mesquite trees. Yeppers, I lost a few marbles there!!! lmao

Whopper, I remember the Ize Box on Broadway & Austin Hwy. A few of my friends actually scored beer there when we were in H.S. Ah good times!!!

Bud & Mud, I remember Travis S & L., but more importantly San Antonio Savings. LOL!!! When I was trying to be a little hippie chick wife & mom, living in A.H. We got a notice from them saying we had $200.00 in a "mystery" acct. Well cashed that sucker right in, and used the money for.............????

Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Hi Mud thanks for the scan I am trying and i mean trying to pinpoint what is located today at some old businesses of sa's past. It is a work in progress.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Still looking for stories or pics from LA SEMANA ALEGRE shows, and group lineups from certain years. If you have some, please reply on the "It isn't Fiesta without.." thread here in the C-D SA forums or at Rock In Texas - MamasFallenAngels.com

Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Regarding the SASA locations, it seems that most Handy-Andy's had a branch if that's the right word. But what popped into my head first was that all those years back in elementary school we had a "bank day" each week and could put spare change or whatever into an account. The teacher kept the book as it were and somehow deposited the funds, maybe thru the principal's office, in each student's name. It added up and at some point we got a small SASA savings book to keep ourselves which I did for a few years then later closed the account with a tidy sum of a couple hundred bucks if memory serves. That money went toward a summer vacation in Wash. DC following freshman year college.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Yes Bud most handy andy's had a branch, looking at mud's scan most were in-store.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM

I'm not sure what the original interest in SASA was here, but Mud's scan reminds us that its president was long time San Antonio mayor Walter J. McAllister, Jr. He was also head honcho of the old Good Government League, S A's last big time political machine. That bunch of movers and shakers included all the financial and big business heavy hitters in town who got their ways more often than not over twenty years at least for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio