Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times

Advertisements

Speaking of politics in the 70's, does anyone remember the dairy scandal that involved John Connally, John Mitchell (yes of Watergate)....and local dairy associations in San Antonio? Someone went to jail over it....not a biggie name. But I think it went as far as involving Prez Nixon himself. I was too young to comprehend any of it, but I've been told about it. Apparently is was a dairy association that extended from Texas to Wisconsin....price gouging and other insider regulating that was costing consumers big time. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Speaking of politics in the 70's, does anyone remember the dairy scandal that involved John Connally, John Mitchell (yes of Watergate)....and local dairy associations in San Antonio? Someone went to jail over it....not a biggie name. But I think it went as far as involving Prez Nixon himself. I was too young to comprehend any of it, but I've been told about it. Apparently is was a dairy association that extended from Texas to Wisconsin....price gouging and other insider regulating that was costing consumers big time. Just curious.
I do !! Remember Billie Sol Estes in the 60's???

Billie Sol Estes

Last edited by SATX56; 06-10-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 38,375 times
Default Milk stoppers

I just remember leaning a milk top on edge of the building and everyone that was playing had to stand a few feet away. The object was knock over the milk top and what ever tops were played you would keep. This would get very exciting when you would have a game going with 3-4 kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibolo Rider View Post
I played marbles all the time when I was kid. The regular game where you drew a circle and tried to shoot your opponents marbles out of it. If you were playing keepsies you got to keep the ones you shot out of the circle. Also we would dig a shallow hole in the dirt and then from a standing position drop 4 or 5 marbles in it and see how many would stay in the hole. I don't remember the point of that one. Because I played keepsies too much I don't have any marbles left (as those that know me can attest).
I do remember some kind of game using milk stoppers but can't recall the details. If anyone knows how the game was played I would be interested.

Does anyone remember the small cups of ice cream that had a picture of different movie stars on the inside of the lid?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,559 times

Anyone remember Willow Way??

long gone.

......but not forgotten??

mud

Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post

long gone.

mud

Give us some "hints"!

Person, place, or thing???

Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post

long gone.

mud

Sounds Familiar I'm thinking street!! Maybe the street O'Neil Ford lived on behind San Jose Mission?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 PM

I am the man!!

O'Neil Ford

Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I am the man!!

O'Neil Ford
Yes, you are "the man" Tx.!!!

Very interesting story, my friend!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Yes, you are "the man" Tx.!!!

Very interesting story, my friend!!!
I was just reading about that not too long ago. It was in the book about Oneill Ford. The pictures in the book did not do it much justice. I'm wondering if there are better pictures anywhere.

Mud...what do you know about it? Is it totally gone?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 AM

6 posts, read 25,579 times
I lived in south east SA off Goliad Road, in Highland Hills, from about '57 through '92 and have many memories of what used to be. Off Goliad Road on the left, just before you got to the SouthCross/Clark intersection was an outdoor theatre called the Goliad Theatre. I don't remember how many screens were there, but we saw many good shows there. That was way back in the '50's/'60's timeframe. Then off Goliad near Military Drive was Spartans Dept. Store. Piggly Wiggly grocery store was on Goliad and Pecan Valley, and across from them on the other side of Pecan Valley Drive was Model Market (another grocery store). Then there was Winn's off Goliad, across from where the Goliad Bolling Alley and Dairy Queen were. I remember it all, but most if not all those places are gone now. I understand Floyd's Dairy Bar is still there, and perhaps El Tipico Mexican Restaraunt. I read where McCreless Mall is gone. What a shame!!

Back in the 60's a bunch of us little kids would all be taken to the swimming pool in the summer usually out at Brooks Air Force Base, then one of the mamma's would take us to Floyd's Dairy Bar for a hamburger, fries and drink before going home to play games, etc. It was all fun, fun, fun. At night sometimes we'd go to either the Goliad Theatre, Mission Outdoor Theatre, or Trail Drive-in Theatre which was off Military Drive.

Those things are mostly all gone now but definitely not forgotten. Have they ever opened back up the Mission Drive-In? I read where they had closed it for a while due to vandalism. What a shame.

Does anyone remember Playland Park near the Mission Drive-In? We used to go there to ride the rides and I'd sometimes ride the ponies that a man would either walk around a ring or later the ponies were tethered to an automatic walker where we'd go round and round in a large circle. Much fun!.

I haven't been to SA in a few years, as I now live in Southern Oklahoma, but I'll never, never forget my early years there and all the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio