Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times

Advertisements

I remember the dirt bike track!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:30 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Anyone remember the big slide and 6-wheel ATV buggy track over at Wonderland?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
I remember the 6 wheel ATV track off I-35 north. I've forgotten exact location.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,588 times
It seems like,from reading this Blog, the most nostalgic parts of San Antonio are around Macreless Mall and Colonies North. When I was growing up those places were kinda on the outskirts and I spent my childhood growing up further in. Houston st. and New Braunfels and Fred.road at Vance Jackson. I wish more people would write about areas even further in like Allena village or Jefferson village, The Monticello Grocery, the woodlawn theater, I guess they have all been covered rather well. This thread is a monster but that is the part of town I like hearing about. I had a friend who used to call the area from Wonderland to West Ave. at 410. West Ave. to Fred road and Fred road back to wonderland "The Chalupa Trangle". No offence please..I grew up in that area!

Last edited by Dwangle; 01-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: A little more info

Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Anyone remember the big slide and 6-wheel ATV buggy track over at Wonderland?
I am very familar with the Dellview/Wonderland area, and I have no idea what you are talking about? Where exactly was this? What time frame?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I am very familar with the Dellview/Wonderland area, and I have no idea what you are talking about? Where exactly was this? What time frame?
This was back in the 60's (mid to late, IIRC), on the strip of land to the east of where the theatre was, alongside the I-10 access road, in the area where the Dave & Busters parking lot is now.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
I love this thread!

I lived in San Antonio from mid 1950's to 1980 and then again from 1995 to 1998. Reading these posts have brought back many, many good memories.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Speaking of Marshall - I remember when Texas Star Inn was considered "out in the country" (or at least "further out" ... remember that!?) and the other thing about Marshall is, no matter how much the area has changed - Around The Bend is still there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Texas Star Inn - I should say - knew old man Klein back when he owned the place!(my folks owned the Oasis Liquor Store just down the road).

I grew up on the south side, but my dad was one of the first builders in Braun Station East so I got to spend a LOT of my summers and weekends out in this area.

The burgers at the Texas Star Inn were pretty good, but there was a little joint on the corner of Eckhert rd that had the best flame broiled burgers. Great smokey flavor.

It was a different area back in those days. No homes or businesses out there. Braun Station was 5 miles from the nearest restaurant in Leon Valley. There was a great little BBQ joint on the south side of Helotes, sawdust on the floor and a wall of post office boxes. I drove Hwy 16 out to Helotes a year or so ago and couldn't even identify which strip center it used to be in. So many new stores and subdivisions in the area now.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
There was a great little BBQ joint on the south side of Helotes, sawdust on the floor and a wall of post office boxes. I drove Hwy 16 out to Helotes a year or so ago and couldn't even identify which strip center it used to be in. So many new stores and subdivisions in the area now.
That was probably Hickory Hut, it had been there for ages. It's now "Shorty's" just a few stores down from Floore Country Store.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I grew up on the south side, but my dad was one of the first builders in Braun Station East so I got to spend a LOT of my summers and weekends out in this area.

The burgers at the Texas Star Inn were pretty good, but there was a little joint on the corner of Eckhert rd that had the best flame broiled burgers. Great smokey flavor.

It was a different area back in those days. No homes or businesses out there. Braun Station was 5 miles from the nearest restaurant in Leon Valley. There was a great little BBQ joint on the south side of Helotes, sawdust on the floor and a wall of post office boxes. I drove Hwy 16 out to Helotes a year or so ago and couldn't even identify which strip center it used to be in. So many new stores and subdivisions in the area now.
ummm....you forget ol' Frenchie at the Shamrock station across from what was then KBAT, just north of the creek there?

Just up the road from TX Star was our liquor store (until the mid-70's) and Hardware store (until the mid-70's). T&L Ice House in beautiful downtown Leon Valley....Paula's Cafe next to our hardware store, Meiske's Gas Station...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio