Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
In the lated 50's we used to leave the Flame drive in (Later Jim's Frontier) and go down Pleasanton Rd. or 281 South to FM2537. There was a straight, flat 1500 feet in the middle, but you had to be careful of the RR tracks about half way down. Since there were three ways out (back to Pleasanton rd, back to 281 or you could cut up the Martinez road that ran along side the tracks back to Pleasanton rd.) we never worried much about the Sheriff. He did catch a few of us, but we got tickets for disturbing the peace and illegal exhausts. It's all built up now, so you'd never be able to do anything like that any more.
What kinda machine were you runnin Boss??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
They were just north of the Brake and Clutch shop.. Russell marine was on the other side of the road

Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post

Oh yes How could I forget Krumms Cycles on Bandera!
Krumm's sold Nortons and later Triumphs as well.
His brother had a dealership on the outskirts of Austin.

Here's a couple you left off your list......

Pierce Bros on St Mary's right there by Central Catholic.
Sold Triumphs and BSAs.
I bought a new 750 Triumph BonneVille Twin from Skinny in 77.

Bill Walters sold Triumphs on Commerce (close to Pine I think it was).

I bought a new Triumph 650 at San Pedro and Fresno in 66.
Don't remember the dealers name at the moment.

Harley Davidson was at the corner of Broadway and Grayson in the early 60s
Bought a year old 64 XLCH there in 65.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
Mudpuddle ---I am happy to see that you still read this stuff

Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM

237 posts, read 851,429 times
Default Goliad Road & Loop 13

[quote=Boss Rider;12974429]Here's the Flame/Frontier as it is today. Chinese take-out. The horror, the horror.

No mistaking that long carport as anything but the old Frontier alright. That was a must stop place while cruising Goliad Road & Loop 13 from the Rigsby Pig Stand to Capn' Jim's at Roosevelt and beyond occasionally, back in the day. Boss would you mind mentioning your current location? later, Bud

Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 PM

136 posts, read 331,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
What kinda machine were you runnin Boss??
I drove a black '49 Plymouth to school all week. My 'weekend' car was a blue '55 Ford with a '56 Merc 312 cu. engine. 4 bbl, Hearst 3 speed stick on the floor, a lightly tweaked cam, and Lake headers. Also had a half turn cut off the front springs and reversed spring perches on the rear to get the nose down an inch and a half. Not a killer, but it would hold it's own. Biggest problem was tires back then. Unless you had street slicks, which were expensive, illegal and very noticeable, it was hard to keep from burning up the rear tires. Trick was a bump to get her rolling, and then lay in the power smoothly. Beat a bunch of kids with Dad's new car because they just floored it on takeoff and got sideways.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
BR thanks for all the great stories, have enjoyed reading them.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM

136 posts, read 331,977 times
[quote=BudB;12975245]
Quote:
Here's the Flame/Frontier as it is today. Chinese take-out. The horror, the horror.

No mistaking that long carport as anything but the old Frontier alright. That was a must stop place while cruising Goliad Road & Loop 13 from the Rigsby Pig Stand to Capn' Jim's at Roosevelt and beyond occasionally, back in the day. Boss would you mind mentioning your current location? later, Bud
Our next watering hole from there was the Running Bear on the Loop where, depending on who was around and the time of night, there might be a Lone Star or two available to special friends.

Although I am at times embarrassed to admit it, my present location is about 30 miles south of Boston.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
Quote:
Here's the Flame/Frontier as it is today. Chinese take-out. The horror, the horror.

P1010060.JPG
That's a picture of the Frontier on Goliad and Lasses. The Flame was on Military Drive and was owned by the Keller family. We used to race cars a lot when they were building IH37 south but it wasn't complete. This was just south of Military Dr.

And Joe Harrison Honda orginally was on S. New Braunfels in the Denver Heights/Highland Park area. And there was a Yamaha dealer on S.W.W. White near Rigsby.

Last edited by RGJ; 02-19-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I drove a black '49 Plymouth to school all week. My 'weekend' car was a blue '55 Ford with a '56 Merc 312 cu. engine. 4 bbl, Hearst 3 speed stick on the floor, a lightly tweaked cam, and Lake headers. Also had a half turn cut off the front springs and reversed spring perches on the rear to get the nose down an inch and a half. Not a killer, but it would hold it's own. Biggest problem was tires back then. Unless you had street slicks, which were expensive, illegal and very noticeable, it was hard to keep from burning up the rear tires. Trick was a bump to get her rolling, and then lay in the power smoothly. Beat a bunch of kids with Dad's new car because they just floored it on takeoff and got sideways.
the good old daze Boss.

that 55 sounds like a real fine machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Mudpuddle ---I am happy to see that you still read this stuff
yessir thank you.

here's a couple more sickle shops as I can remember them.......

Graham's Cycle Shop was on Blanco Rd. corner of El Monte, I do believe.
Sold Mustangs, Thoroughbreds, Stallions and Ponys.

The Cycle Center on SW Military.
sold everything from Mopeds to the big Monster HDs.

SIKK had a Chopper Shop on Broadway close to Playland Park.
After Hours there the game was on and a trip to the moon was not out of the realm of possibilities.

There was a shop out Hwy 87 right around Sayers I think it was.
If you looked out the back door there was a little cliff.
Down at the bottom was a huge pile of two wheelers.
They just pushed the wore out machines through the back door to forever rest in peace/pieces.

And I knew I could remember the name of the Triumph dealer on San Pedro, if I went through my photo archives.

San Pedro Honda Triumph. They only lasted about a year or so....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio