Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM

23 posts, read 68,113 times

Advertisements

I know of an artist who is asking this question . . . can anyone help?

Does any body remember the "Walters Drug store" on Commerce @ Cibolo? would you have a photo of its exterior??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 38,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post
I know of an artist who is asking this question . . . can anyone help?

Does any body remember the "Walters Drug store" on Commerce @ Cibolo? would you have a photo of its exterior??
Sure do remember the drug store, I remember having fountain drinks and ice cream, but I don't have any pictures just memories.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM

11 posts, read 31,140 times
There is one thing on Austin Hwy that has puzzled me, but probably has already been answered. There currently is a small area right around where Wal-Mart is built, and across the street, there is a train that stands on a pole; probably for some restaurant that was once there. I have not been able to find out what stood there before. Anyone have any info on this?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissatx75 View Post
There is one thing on Austin Hwy that has puzzled me, but probably has already been answered. There currently is a small area right around where Wal-Mart is built, and across the street, there is a train that stands on a pole; probably for some restaurant that was once there. I have not been able to find out what stood there before. Anyone have any info on this?
It was Shakey's Pizza, if you're talking about the building that has the black wrought iron fence in front.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
And wasn't that one of the pubs in the seventies? Rook, Knave, etc.? I think it's still owned by the guy that owned those Pubs as well as the bar that was known as the Spurs(I, think it was) in the nearby strip center.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
And wasn't that one of the pubs in the seventies? Rook, Knave, etc.? I think it's still owned by the guy that owned those Pubs as well as the bar that was known as the Spurs(I, think it was) in the nearby strip center.
Whatever is in the building that used to house Shakey's isn't open to/accessible by the general public.

The Knave was a 70s-era place that was located in the end of the strip center on the NE corner of Austin Highway & Rainbow. Rascals is now located in the old Knave space. Shakey's outlasted the Knave by a few years.

I don't remember either the Rook or Spurs.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
Pretty sure that Spurs occupied the same space as the Knave, before it became Rascals.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times
does any one remember an old pit bbq place on zarzamora st past martin st before culebra it was a small brick building

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Pretty sure that Spurs occupied the same space as the Knave, before it became Rascals.
I met my wife at the Knave back in 1978. We are still married. We went to Rascals a few years ago to see a band and it was still much the same. It was kind of strange being back there after all these years.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,657 times
I was in the 5th grade at St. Cecilia's Catholic school at the time when President Kennedy visited S.A. Texas. Our school lines up along Roosevelt St. across from the Roosevelt park and waited for the motorcade to drive by. We had made a sign which read"St. Cecilia's loves President and Mrs Kennedy as the motorcade drove by our location; we held up the sign. The President had the limo slow down and he stood up and waived at us. I figured beacuse of his Catholic upbringing plus the obivious presence of the fully dressed nuns had caught his attention. as we waited for the motorcade to approach, I remember seeing a figure standing on the nearby train trestle holding what looked like a rifle...the sillhouette appeared to be a police officer of some sort...i never verified that though...i wonder if anyone was there at that time or have any photos of that area in 1963 November 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio