Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 PM

263 posts, read 480,335 times

Advertisements

If you had wood shop,you had Mr.Menn,he had a whole different style of teaching, but I learned alot.Mr.Shreck was my Drafting teacher.Do u rember who was always being p/u in a metallic green InterNational pu Truck.?I still see that nice truck from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Yeah - that was the Gerfers family....they lived on El Verde at the time.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM

U probably know this,but the Eckert estate is now surronded by an apt.complex where Huebner and Eckert meet.Its a darn shame because the place is emaclate.I hope they put it to good use just as they did with the Frost family estate on the east corner of Fredsg.Rd and Wurzbach Rd.where I lived in the Spanish Oaks Trailer Park till I got Married in '75.Actually I lived on the Marshall side of the boundry,but all my freinds that across the street were goin to Holmes,so Ms Menn on buss 42 p/u in front of the Frost family estate which is ,now also to is surronded by apts.When it was vacant at the time,my freinds and I snuk in at night,it cold damp and very scary.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 PM

265 posts, read 534,697 times
Was that the same Menn family that lived almost across from Marshall on Eckhert? I remember the tall one named John. He was like 6'9. Ran into him at SA International Airport last year.

Also... speaking of scenic locations... did anyone ever party off of what was then the dead end White Fawn near 1604 & Babcock? There was an old water tower there that has since been relocated off of Oak Grove. At the top of the trail was a huge mesa that had a spectular view of the city.... heck darn near anyplace looking south on White Fawn north of 1604 had a great view, but this mesa was the sh*t. I seem to remember one of the exit trails leading out to Kyle Seale Pkwy-an exit we took when the Sheriff's office tried to bust our beer bashes.

I looked at google maps and see that the area (no surprise) has seen a lot of development, but there is still a lot of undeveloped property.

Another place for 'parking' was a place called 'b*tch hill.' Specatular view.It was in or near Helotes on a path mapped as 'Spur Clip.' The statutes have since changed, but I could have gotten in big trouble there back in the day.... and as previously noted, the steep incline was a test for the brakes or transmission, so you had to be on your game.

Last but not least on the list of party and parking locales, this time diametrically opposed on the opposite side of the county was off of Jim Terrell Road and Jolly Rd, off of 1604. KVDA TV 60 has their broadcast tower there and if you wound your way through the sprawling subdivision, you made your way through what is now "City View Estates.' This area looks over Calaveras lake in towards downtown, with another breath taking view. Technically in Wilson County, the Sheriff's deputy would physically have to travel up Sulphur Springs Road to 1604 to get back to you. Now days, there has also been plenty of development and backroads which connect the back of city view to Sulphur Springs Rd.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 PM

J911 ,you mentioned 1604 and Babcock Rd.,back then it was part gravel and asphalt.Did you ever hear about the stone bull,at the end of Babcock?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Northside Little League-Team Joe Strauss 1967

The baseball diamond was located what now is the pond in front of U.S.A.A..I'am hopeing to find someone that might 've played for this team or another.Our biggest Rival was Red Land Worth at the time.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM

AS- I vaguely remember hearing about it, it kinda had the lore about it like the donkey lady, though. Had not even had a fleeting thought about the stone bull in 30 years. I really didn't venture out Babcock past Camp Bullis Rd as that crazy police Chief from Grey Forest liked to claim that area as his.... and the roads were already asphalt out there (early to mid 80's)

Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM

J911;The first thing I heard about when moving from the east side to the north,was the urban legand of the Donkey Lady.I was listening to a late night talk show on the radio when a young lady was reporting that she and some friends had seen her on Abner Rd.,I think Huebner Rd Babcock is what she ment.Being twelve yrs. old this peaked my intrest on the legand.I've never seen her,but from what a state trooper who had reported seeing her,said she was actualy a woman who live Helotes,worked at the Mansion on Wurzbach(Algo Differente Resort) as a maid and was disfigured in a fire which destoyed much of the Resort.Being taken to the only medical burn facility in town,being B.A.M.C. in the late 40's.there wasn't much hope of her to fully recover as to how she once appeared.She became depressed,admitted to S.A.S.H. and later escaped and went back to the ruins she once knew and this became her home.She couldn't go back to her origal home to face ridicule.This why I heard so many stories of people looking for at this Mansion and coming back horrified,and having herad of their vehicles being damaged with winsheilds shattered,doors dented in and nearly escaping with their lives.This is what the trooper had explained to me.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,559 times
see if this link works...........
explosion.jpg (image)

Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
J911;The first thing I heard about when moving from the east side to the north,was the urban legand of the Donkey Lady.I was listening to a late night talk show on the radio when a young lady was reporting that she and some friends had seen her on Abner Rd.,I think Huebner Rd Babcock is what she ment.Being twelve yrs. old this peaked my intrest on the legand.I've never seen her,but from what a state trooper who had reported seeing her,said she was actualy a woman who live Helotes,worked at the Mansion on Wurzbach(Algo Differente Resort) as a maid and was disfigured in a fire which destoyed much of the Resort.Being taken to the only medical burn facility in town,being B.A.M.C. in the late 40's.there wasn't much hope of her to fully recover as to how she once appeared.She became depressed,admitted to S.A.S.H. and later escaped and went back to the ruins she once knew and this became her home.She couldn't go back to her origal home to face ridicule.This why I heard so many stories of people looking for at this Mansion and coming back horrified,and having herad of their vehicles being damaged with winsheilds shattered,doors dented in and nearly escaping with their lives.This is what the trooper had explained to me.
AS: Interesting rendition of the Donkey Lady. Being a lifelong resident of the south side, I had always understood the Donkey Lady to frequent the area of Old Applewhite Rd and the Medina River (the old one-lane bridge which still exists despite New Applewhite being improved and detoured in response to Toyota development)

Your rendition could possibly be spun to conclude that she escaped SASH and went a little further south and called the Medina her home.... makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio