Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

I remember the Night Hawk or Night Hawk's .... Steak and Ale's and of course Chelsea Street Pub. South park Mall had a Chelsea Street Pub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
I think the Night Hawk had planters with Ivy growing in them around the booths. Classy! The Winns with the wooden floors was close by. Danny's Pool Hall, The Clover leaf lounge. A Head Shop called US. A weird book store. Don't remember the name. Gatsby's sandwich shop. L&M book Store with directions to the North Pole on the brick wall out side. Quarter House further down. (Beer, Burgers and 25 cent pool tables--honest!) A Natural Food Restaurant. Can't remember that name either. Oh yes! San Pedro Highschool also known as San Antonio College.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:14 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The only other steakhouse I reacall hearing about, Big John Hamilton's, was actually on Harry Wurzbach near Austin Highway. See the article below:
Paula Allen: Kids in beer ads fairly common - San Antonio Express-News

The Steak and Ale was actually about where Advance Auto Parts and ExpressLube are now. It was demolished in the early 1980s to make way for the new HEB, that was replacing a smaller location in Terrell Plaza. That HEB (where Goodwill and the chinese buffet are now) would later move into an even larger facility across Austin Highway.
That's it, Big John Hamilton's, thank-you! I remember when the HEB you referred to opened around '84. This larger store replaced the one at Terrell Plaza, as you mentioned, as well as the HEB on Walzem that was next door to Woolco. Does anyone remember when Handy Andy was the dominate supermarket chain in San Antonio?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Does anyone remember when Handy Andy was the dominate supermarket chain in San Antonio?
Heck yeah! When I was a teen I proudly donned my brown corduroy pants, white dress shirt and red tie! Good times.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Heck yeah! When I was a teen I proudly donned my brown corduroy pants, white dress shirt and red tie! Good times.
We used to frequent the Handy Andy on Austin Highway. The area has come full circle as it is now the new HEB mentioned earlier. We also went to the Handy Andy on Walzem. Most of them had a San Antonio Savings inside the store. Sold many an empty soda bottles at the courtesy booth back in the day.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM

216 posts, read 398,968 times
I didn't think there were any Handy Andys left but I was out on Commerce St a few weeks ago (I think it was Commerce, it may make a name change around Our Lady of the Lake ), just a couple of blocks before 410 there was a Handy Andy I had to go and check it out. It is so nice to go into a grocery store and just see groceries. They had great produce, good prices I wish it wasn't so far I would do all my shopping there. They just built one of those horrific HEB monstrosities here in Boerne it opened Thanksgiving week. I have been in there one time, I went in wanting some fried chicken I was informed at the "Deli" they no longer make fried chicken, you can get Teriaki chicken of honey baked chicken or marinated chicken strips with bean sprouts but no fried chicken, I have not been back since and don't intend to either. I will drive to the HEB at Leon Springs it's a lot easier to get around and find what I need, but I still wish that Handy Andy wasn't so far.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Uh...Handy Andy's aren't what they used to be. Their prices are way off the chart. More like a pricier convenience store nowadays. Sadly there's one closer to me than several nearby HEB's.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
We used to frequent the Handy Andy on Austin Highway. The area has come full circle as it is now the new HEB mentioned earlier. We also went to the Handy Andy on Walzem. Most of them had a San Antonio Savings inside the store. Sold many an empty soda bottles at the courtesy booth back in the day.
I remember going to the Handy Andy at Colonies, San Pedro, and Fred Rd. I always thought they were better than HEB as a kid, sadly how they slowly died.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
I didn't think there were any Handy Andys left but I was out on Commerce St a few weeks ago (I think it was Commerce, it may make a name change around Our Lady of the Lake ), just a couple of blocks before 410 there was a Handy Andy I had to go and check it out. It is so nice to go into a grocery store and just see groceries. They had great produce, good prices I wish it wasn't so far I would do all my shopping there. They just built one of those horrific HEB monstrosities here in Boerne it opened Thanksgiving week. I have been in there one time, I went in wanting some fried chicken I was informed at the "Deli" they no longer make fried chicken, you can get Teriaki chicken of honey baked chicken or marinated chicken strips with bean sprouts but no fried chicken, I have not been back since and don't intend to either. I will drive to the HEB at Leon Springs it's a lot easier to get around and find what I need, but I still wish that Handy Andy wasn't so far.
Funny I went to the Handy Andy on Commerce and Zarzamora within a few weeks, its a nice long drive but good to see people in the produce and meat market that want to help. The produce did last longer than HEB's

Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Handy Andy was a class act when former mayor Charles Becker owned it. After he sold out, the quality seemed to go down dramatically.

I remember Handy Andy gave Top Value trading stamps. HEB gave Texas Gold, and Piggly Wiggly gave S&H Green stamps.

I remember when I was a 4th grader, one of my favorite jokes was "Did you hear Piggly Wiggly, and HEB are going to merge? The stores will be renamed Wiggly Butt".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio