Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
lcw lcw started this thread

118 posts, read 669,449 times

Advertisements

I am a lifelong resident of SA and grew up on the northside. Just last week I saw the "Roaring 20's", now an old, run down place that looks like it used to be some type of party hall. It is located just North of Wurzbach Parkway on Blanco Road behind a brightly colored mexican restaurant.

Anybody know the history of this place?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
I had a good friend who managed the place around '99, right before it closed down for good. He told me that it was a gangster-ish speakeasy back in the day, that it dated back to the 30's or so, etc. That's all I can recall. It became a hipster hangout of sorts for a short time (98-99) during that whole lounge/swing revival (remember "swingers?"), then was abruptly shut down by city inspectors, apparently for electrical issues. A real shame, it was a cool joint.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,740 times
Was this a swingers club?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Was this a swingers club?
No, no, ha ha ha, the MOVIE "Swingers." It was that whole Rat Pack/Exotica/Kitsch movement that never really quite made it to San Antonio.

From Wikipedia: "The film Swingers was set in the "Lounge Nation" scene in Los Angeles and the Soundtrack to Swingers featured some newer acts like Love Jones, Joey Altruda and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy as well as legendary performers like Dean Martin, Louis Jordan and Tony Bennett."

Although we DO have a couple of the OTHER "swingers" clubs!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,051 times
Hawk, people on this board keep teasing us about these "swinger" clubs, but no one ever reveals or even hints at a location. What is this? The info on these clubs is tighter than the Masons. Do you have join before you are allowed in on the secret? Is there like initiations? Deviant rituals?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM

159 posts, read 784,696 times
Default and we were Swingin...........SWINGIN

Hawk is always asking if something is a "Swingers" spot. Im sure he just asking as a joke, if he isn't.....Im always laughing when I read it. I posted a thread about old gents clubs but it didnt take off, I see all secrets are being kept. I dont know about back in the day, but the only swing or swap spot I know of now in SA is a place called The Palyers Club or TX Players Club. Not sure which name is correct, but its located near UTSA. Its $50 for single men, $20 couple and ladies free. I think ladies do pay on Sat night. They have a web site with all there info. I have a friend who keeps asking me to go with her. She says she just wants to see what its like........I dont want to go if I cant get crazy, so I keep putting it off. There was another place called Baraccaus (sp) it was located where the old Long John Silvers use to be near the old Galaxy movie theater. I think its a used car lot now.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:01 PM

78 posts, read 407,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I had a good friend who managed the place around '99, right before it closed down for good. He told me that it was a gangster-ish speakeasy back in the day, that it dated back to the 30's or so, etc. That's all I can recall. It became a hipster hangout of sorts for a short time (98-99) during that whole lounge/swing revival (remember "swingers?"), then was abruptly shut down by city inspectors, apparently for electrical issues. A real shame, it was a cool joint.
The Express News ran an article about the history of the place right before it closed(Fall of '98?). I saw guitar genius Dick Dale kick out some serious jams to a packed house on what might've been the last night. His amps overloaded the electrical system and the power went out twice! It looked like the place was really something else back in its heyday when that area was far out of town.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Ya know Hawk all ya need to do is a google search for swinger clubs in Sa and you might be surprised what ya find but most have a thing with no single guys..

Good luck in those endevours

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicajun View Post
I saw guitar genius Dick Dale kick out some serious jams to a packed house on what might've been the last night. His amps overloaded the electrical system and the power went out twice! It looked like the place was really something else back in its heyday when that area was far out of town.
Hey, I was there too, amazing show. My friends in the now-defunct local surf/swing band Soda Pop Spys opened for Dale that night. I really dug that place. Damn shame it closed.

Oh yeah, my buddy who managed the 20's went on to open the Hootenanny on St. Mary's soon after the closure (he wanted to take over the 20's, but it was a huge mess, ancient wiring, plumbing, hell, ancient everything - it would've cost a fortune to bring up to code), booked the same type bands, tried to retain the retro vibe, but it didn't last long, now the building is home to HARDBODIES !

Old 04-02-2007, 03:59 PM

486 posts, read 1,113,777 times
all i have to say having seen it and taken pictures of how it is now, does anyone have/know where to get pictures of what it looked like originally? I have tried the san antonio news archive with no luck, maybe im searching using the wrong words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio