Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM

952 posts, read 1,263,404 times

Advertisements

Say, has anyone gone down to Texas pride BBQ off of Lavernia Road and FM1518 before it hits Loop1604 for their Friday Fish Fry?I was thinking of trying it this Friday, but their menu doesn't list what it is or prices as to the fish fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,280 times
The Monterey, Southtown.

Last night for a late-night bite- Quiet crowd and I ended up sitting inside for the air conditioned atmos. Went with the tried-and-true grilled cheese w/ Benton's bacon and greens. Delicious. Had a quick preview of an upcoming menu item, a monte cristo (with the typical Monty twist). It's going to be a huge winner when it hits.

As always, The Monty delivers on service, a Cheers-like attitude, great rotating menu and relaxed atmosphere. It's quickly become my go-to after 10pm spot. They're open until midnight and it's a welcome change from the typical taco spot.

BN

Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM

487 posts, read 992,948 times
Default Sushi Zushi

Went to SZ in Stone Oak with the family and some friends. Had some apetizers, like edamame, vegetables tempura, fried cheese (forgot the name) and then had sushi and sashimi as entree.

Food was good (like in past visits) not extraordinary, but the consensus of the group was that portions looked smaller than we remembered. Service was very good, our server was quick (w/o being nosy) and knowledgeable and kept the lemonade coming.

Would comeback, but I think I like Sushihanna better.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,076,831 times
I ate at Vida Mia in Stone Oak located behind the firehouse subs. Owners are from Monterrey Mexico and the food is..lets just say A LOT different than your typical Tex Mex place. Prices are affordable and the food is great.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,565,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
I ate at Vida Mia in Stone Oak located behind the firehouse subs. Owners are from Monterrey Mexico and the food is..lets just say A LOT different than your typical Tex Mex place. Prices are affordable and the food is great.
Wow, looking at their website, they look to be authentic Northern Mexican. Except offering Huevos Rancheros with scrambled eggs, drives my husband up a wall. It will be interesting to see how they do so close to Cielito Lindo, who used to be good, until they went more bar than restaurant.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,076,831 times
well sometimes you gotta appeal to what the locals eat. Their breakfast tacos are really good. I never eaten mexican food like this before...it almost feels healthier?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM

268 posts, read 594,657 times
A group of 4 of us went to Goro’s for sushi and stuff today, Thursday. I was here last October but friends had been there recently and wanted to try it again, besides, they mention they had a happy hour sushi which turned out to be a great deal. Went early at 6pm and there was plenty of parking and many open seats.

We started with the miso soup and the little salad with that great ginger sesame dressing really good and traditionally made. We then had the Tempura appetizer (3 shrimp and veggies -- onion ring, sweet potato, et. Al. This was $4.95 and a great deal. Unlike last time, this time it was hot and fresh out of the fryer and was the best I’ve had in awhile. I also had 2 pieces each of whitefish and salmon sushi which were very good and not skimpy as the slice of fish covered the rice completely and was a decent thickness.

Ordered 2 spicy tuna roll orders consisting of a total of 6 pieces which was also very good ($3.50). It did not have that mayo mixed in like many other places have, really don’t like this. It was just finely chopped tuna with that special chili powder they use. These were actually some of the better ones I’ve tasted.

Two of my friends had almost the same; however, they had a Texas Roll instead of the spicy tuna roll. I’m not really keen on these rolls as they are overloaded with ingredients overwhelming the delicate flavors of the fish. The Texas Roll was topped with a sprinkling of capers…. <shakes head>. lol

If you stick to the traditional items, you’ll do well.

The only downside and a minor at that, was that the waiter would bring out the food and proceed to hand over the plates across the table to people on the other side to grab. There was plenty of room for the waiter to go around the whole table so there was no excuse that it would have been a tight squeeze. I would have understood this and would have been more than happy to pass plates for him. OK, I'll stop now.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,685,096 times
Tried Tilted Kilt. Good food, but terrible service...our server seemed clueless. I asked for a small plate for my appetizer pizza, she asked me why I wanted one? wth? She also sat with friends visiting at another table and had to be waved down to refill our drinks several times. These girls needed to be trained by the Hooter's girls for customer service.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,685,096 times
Oh...I also asked the price of a mixed drink on the menu, she replied, "I dunno."

Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM

268 posts, read 594,657 times
BN -- Just looked at the menu offerings and am impressed. A must on my list.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio