Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
i think they told me its like $70 a month...but overall is it worth the money?...not a sports person btw.
It becomes more expensive by the month. they are contantly sneaking increases in the monthly statements. I wish that I had never got it back after not having it for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Same here. One box has the new stuff, but the other box doesn't.
Is one of your boxes the older non-HD models? The update went to my newer HD box, but not the older one that I have not replaced yet.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yep - ain't it amazing....we FINALLY killed off their "cash cow" set-top boxes that required us to pay rent AND have yet another remote to mess with - and now we're forced to have 'em again. They "give" you ONE converter - but you HAVE to rent additional ones for any other sets - and nowadays, who has only one TV in their home???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Sometime in 2011, the Federal requirement for cable systems to offer channels without a set-top box disappears. Don't be surprised if a bunch of channels now available without a set-top box disappear shortly thereafter.
I was just informed by a Time Warner Customer Service representative that digital converter boxes are an additional $7.99/month per box, and that includes the first box on an account. She did tell me that you can pick up a self-install kit in person, and you will not incur an installation fee in that case, but you will stil pay $7.99/month rental.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
IMO...all the cable companies are crooks.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:36 AM

162 posts, read 539,577 times
No more TW complaints here. Just moved from SA to Texarkana & the cable co here (Cable One) sucks!!!!

We're paying more than we did for TW & get MUCH less for the money. Can't even get any HD channels without paying for the most expensive package.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
Time Warner has been notorious for years about raising rates. The "bundle" discounts have redeemed them for a while, but let the bundle expire, and they will nickel and dime you to death.

For excellent TV service, DirecTV is the best way to go. It's not cheap, but it's consistent and a lot better than Time Warner!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
This is just speculation on my part, but I believe Time Warner will continue to chip away at channels that can be received without a set-top box, to the point that most customers who are still receiving their programming without set-top boxes will cave in and get at least one box, just so they can receive all the channels included in their subscribed package on one TV.

DirecTV, Dish Network, and AT&T U-verse all include the first set-top box at no additional charge. Now, in all fairness, it can be argued that you cannot receive any channels through those services without a set-top box. But I think it gives those services a competitive advantage over TW if you can receive all the channels included in your package without forking over another $8/month just to be able to view them all on one TV set with TW.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
DirecTV, Dish Network, and AT&T U-verse all include the first set-top box at no additional charge. Now, in all fairness, it can be argued that you cannot receive any channels through those services without a set-top box. But I think it gives those services a competitive advantage over TW if you can receive all the channels included in your package without forking over another $8/month just to be able to view them all on one TV set with TW.
There is no additional charge for the first set-top box with Time-Warner, either. There used to be a charge for every box. I discovered last year when I was finally ready to pay the $8 for my very first box that there is NO difference in the price between no boxes and 1 box for digital basic. We had been missing out on a lot of channels we had been paying for because I didn't have any set-top boxes!

Last edited by Bo; 07-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: minor edit to 1 sentence

Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Yeah Time Warner gave us hella trouble, but we switched to Grande and didn't have any troubles. We even tried to have our Grande moved but they do not provide service here.

We started out paying 69 for time warner, then it went up to 80, then 99, then got to 150 in no time. I told them come get the their box after that and they were still trying to bill us. They even sent a $400 bill.
I don't know how they would think someone would pay $400 for cable and Internet. That is almost a month of rent

Old 07-17-2010, 07:56 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
I had Grande cable, too. They took away great networks and put them on higher cost digital, also. Grande was WAY better than Time Warner, but DirecTV is even better! I get more stations with DirecTV, instead of losing them on cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio