Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times

Advertisements

Ok well I think maybe I answered my own question. I guess you can go to this website, click on road closures, and you get a map that's updated every 5 minutes. I'm seeing 281 all colored in orange meaning construction.

TransGuide: Traffic Conditions (http://www.transguide.dot.state.tx.us/Traffic/index.php - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
I was watching WOAI and they're painting the UIW sky walk.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
they're painting the UIW sky walk.
Guess they're going to paint it a bright sunny yellow to lift the spirits of the dispirited motorists of 281.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Mrs. Bowie made trips downtown Saturday morning and afternoon while this was happening. She avoided it by taking some combination of I-10 and I-35. She also saw the 2-mile backup northbound when traveling southbound and couldn't understand how so many people had missed the warning about the closure, which was on every Transguide sign downtown.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 PM

124 posts, read 253,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Mrs. Bowie made trips downtown Saturday morning and afternoon while this was happening. She avoided it by taking some combination of I-10 and I-35. She also saw the 2-mile backup northbound when traveling southbound and couldn't understand how so many people had missed the warning about the closure, which was on every Transguide sign downtown.
Yes - good point but NOT on the Transguide just before the Quarry -- I checked it on the way home. It was turned off - I kid you not! The first sign was posted just above Basse road - using one of those mobile signee thingamagigs - saying "US 281 Closed ahead" Well that was a teeny bit late... we were already in the Chaos.

It should have said... "US 281 Closed ahead.. Got You... Ha Ha Ha" in an Dr. Evil voice.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM

What is a TransGuide sign, is it that electronic sign that can change messages and also flash Amber Alerts? But there's another question too, is TransGuide linked to an internet site that are synchronized with real time information on lane closures? Because I was wondering if we can log on the internet before traveling and find out what to avoid? I'm not sure if that website I found is the right resource.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM

422 posts, read 757,083 times
I took I-10 south to catch 37 south smooth sailing down that route, really you guys need to avoid areas like that, san antonio is notorious for this ####

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I even knew about this and I do not live in the area nor did I have any plans on going in that area. Not sure how long the OP has lived in SA, but it is always a good idea to look at what projects are going on each weekend because there is almost always something going on and you will be screwed if you get stuck in it. It's even worse if you know about it, but forget about it. I totally forgot about a 410 closure when I came home from Wyoming and ended up parked on 410 for over an hour stewing mad at myself

Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
1. The work could have been done at night.

2. No warning of work. I purposely drove on 410 to see if there were warning signs of the 281 closure.-NONE

3. TXDOT may work for a local, a person passing through has no warning.

4. With the single lane forcedown cones starting after Jones Maltsberger there was no means of escape.

5. With all traffic being exited on Hildebrand, normal traffic light times continued. Why weren't SA's finest called upon to direct traffic and keep the exited cars moving?

6. Police cars were seen sitting on the closed portions with light flashing and window rolled up and, of course, air conditioners on.

All in all, a poorly though out and equally poorly executed operation. The removal of the primary north/south artery should have been coordinated between TXDOT and the city of San Antonio. It shows contempt on how the taxpayers are viewed and treated.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
is TransGuide linked to an internet site that are synchronized with real time information on lane closures? Because I was wondering if we can log on the internet before traveling and find out what to avoid? I'm not sure if that website I found is the right resource.
Some of what you're looking for is available. You can see what's displayed on the signs from this page (http://www.transguide.dot.state.tx.us/Traffic/equip.php - broken link). You can see a map depicting real-time construction and congestion for highways from this page (http://www.transguide.dot.state.tx.us/Traffic/inmap.php - broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio