Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times

Advertisements

that was actually my original point and I'm glad at least a couple people got it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM

161 posts, read 360,514 times
You just can't argue with logic like that. I'll try with one bit of hypocrisy though:

Quote:
stop involving with other peoples that you dont event know
Which is precisely the argument of those who can't stand taggers. Stop tagging property that doesn't belong to you, or rather "other peoples that you dont even know".

Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM

161 posts, read 330,888 times
Count me in the crowd who's tired of seeing graffiti. Put them in jail for a first time offense, put the parents in jail for the second offense. Someone needs to put a stop to this.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,297 times
Something interesting I saw posted elsewhere some years ago:

Recently on the news there has been talk about making parents directly-accountable for their juvenile childrens’ graffiti on other people’s property, and thus in turn ARRESTING said respective parents too. What do you think about this? Is this draconian, or is it finally about time for something like this now?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 PM

This one too:

Reportedly, a policeman once told a mother (who kept calling them so many times over to her house whenever her unruly children acted up): “It is not our job to be raising your children!”. What do you think about his statement?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:45 PM

161 posts, read 330,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
Something interesting I saw posted elsewhere some years ago:

Recently on the news there has been talk about making parents directly-accountable for their juvenile childrens’ graffiti on other people’s property, and thus in turn ARRESTING said respective parents too. What do you think about this? Is this draconian, or is it finally about time for something like this now?
I love the idea. Making the parents responsible will probably cut down on half of the graffiti in this city. Too many parents not caring what their children do in the wee hours of the night. It's just "little Johnny" being a teen right?! Wrong. It can probably be traced back to questionable parenting and lack of a good ass whipping.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default If a crime is an art form ,

Then the greatest crimes must be masterpieces and the perpetrators geniuses provided they weren't caught, if not they are just criminals ?
DaVinci they ain't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
What makes you say they're not artists? You may not like the painting they did because it was done illegally, but the act of painting will always be an artistic one despite where the painting is. Since the act of painting is always an artistic one, the painter is always an artist. If someone plays music on a street that has banned street performers and gets removed, is that person no longer a musician?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsofa04 View Post
I love the idea. Making the parents responsible will probably cut down on half of the graffiti in this city. Too many parents not caring what their children do in the wee hours of the night. It's just "little Johnny" being a teen right?! Wrong. It can probably be traced back to questionable parenting and lack of a good ass whipping.
Hahaha.......

Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
What makes you say they're not artists? You may not like the painting they did because it was done illegally, but the act of painting will always be an artistic one despite where the painting is. Since the act of painting is always an artistic one, the painter is always an artist. If someone plays music on a street that has banned street performers and gets removed, is that person no longer a musician?
I confess that I do indeed consider SOME pieces to actually truly be considered Real Art, yes.....even whether it was a mutually-consensual agreement between the artist and the property owner OR not.....but then there are some other scrawlings which, to me, are definitely NOT Real Art.....of course, everyone considers Real Art to be this, that, or whatever else, I have noticed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I wish there was something we could do about the suburban sprawl equivalent...billboard adverts and cookie cutter retail/restaurant signage destroying the skyline.
Bingo. Agreed.......

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
I would like to comment on the role of parents. Many of these kids don't have parents in the conventional sense. It's not like you call up Ward and June Cleaver and tell them that the Beaver and Wally have been tagging.

They are the kids of kids. Their moms are only 15 to 16 years older than them and the dads are gone. I recall seeing a young lady I worked with once who had a kid about 16. Then I saw here in a McD's drive through window a year later and she was happy about being pregnant again.

So arguing for parental values and fines are fine with me. I worry about whether they will work and thus are not an excuse for dealing directly with the taggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio