Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,704 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I moved to San Diego about one year ago from the Bay area. I GREATLY regret it. It is way over rated and most of the city is so economically divided it should be called "land of the haves and the have nots." Honestly, it is a tourist attraction at best and a retirement community at worst. The jobs here are just as divided as the housing...you either make $80K + or you make $25K serving up burgers at Applebees - this includes your tips. How anyone can make it in this city is way beyond my comprehension. This makes the Bay Area and Los Angeles look like cheap places to live. Why? Because you can actually earn a living in these other areas of Ca. I originally grew up in the Inland Empire of southern California and lived in Los Angeles for nine years. My salaries in each place were quite high. Here in San Diego I'm luck to get $40K a year. You have to be in biotech, tech, medical, law, or work for the gov't. What can I say, I'm trying to stay a Cali girl! But the price of living here is driving me crazy and bankrupt!

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating to another state and San Antonio, TX is on our list. Can I please get some honest opinions about the city. The homes, neighborhods, diversity, job market, etc.?

Thanks for your time.

Jaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,545 times
Jaded, I can answer you on this one because my parents lived in San Diego, well Escondido, but that is real close, and now live in San Antonio and I can say it is MUCH better in San Antonio! Yes San Diego has one great zoo but there is only so many times you want to do that and then it gets boring. How many times can you see Shamoo anyhow!
San Antonio is way cheaper to live and there is so much to do. It isn't crowded like San Diego either and I got upset that every freaking time I went down to the ocean there were some scary guys around stalking you or people asking for money and getting mad at you if you didn't give them some. I think it is over rated too. The ocean is pretty and the weather more mild in San Diego, but Id pick San Antonio over SD anyday. San Antonio has hot summers but the winters are nice. It is a great excuse in summer with the heat to go to a lake or even down to the ocean down in Corpus too. Oh and NO earthquakes! I love that!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,704 times
Thank you LUVNM.

Would you mind telling me what part of San Antonio your parents live in? What areas are good and somewhat progressive?

I'd like to relocate before 2008 and hope to purchase a home there.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,057 times
My husband and I are also planning on moving from San Diego to San Antonio. I was in San Antonio last week and it solidified in my mind that this move is going to be good for us & our future.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:38 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded
Thank you LUVNM.

Would you mind telling me what part of San Antonio your parents live in? What areas are good and somewhat progressive?

I'd like to relocate before 2008 and hope to purchase a home there.
San Antonio is not a progressive town and is much more conservative than San Diego. If you want a more liberal town, try Austin. Although Austin is not as liberal as so many in Texas claim it is.

Anyway, San Antonio is a unique town (I grew up there), but I would visit there first before you make a move. Make sure to visit places outside of the Riverwalk area, because unfortunately no one lives down there. If you are looking for an urban atmosphere, you are not going to really get much of it in SA, at least as compared to the Bay Area. If you want an older neighborhood with a little history and character, I would try the King William area or Alamo Heights. Both are closer to downtown and have cultural areas. Outside of that you are going to run into suburb city, complete with strip malls, fast food/chain restaurants, and miles of highways

Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,867 times
San Antonio isn't that conservative if at all.

Maybe San Antonio historically but not now.

Heck, our current Mayor Phil Hardberger, who is probably one of the most popular in SA history atleast tied with Henry Cisneros, is a Democratic and is anything but "conservative.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin
Make sure to visit places outside of the Riverwalk area, because unfortunately no one lives down there.
Not true at all.

Quote:
If you are looking for an urban atmosphere, you are not going to really get much of it in SA, at least as compared to the Bay Area.
Compared to the Bay Area, true. But San Antonio isn't lacking in being urban in its downtown.

Quote:
If you want an older neighborhood with a little history and character, I would try the King William area or Alamo Heights.
Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Terell Hills, SoFlo, Uptown Broadway.

Quote:
Outside of that you are going to run into suburb city, complete with strip malls, fast food/chain restaurants, and miles of highways
Pretty much what you'd find in most other metropolitain areas.

However, most can't give you the beautiful scenery SA can.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
San Antonio isn't that conservative if at all.

Maybe San Antonio historically but not now.

Heck, our current Mayor Phil Hardberger, who is probably one of the most popular in SA history atleast tied with Henry Cisneros, is a Democratic and is anything but "conservative.
A Democratic in Texas would probably be a Republican almost anywhere else, at least outside the South. Just like a Republican in Massachusetts would be labeled a “liberal” if he came down to Texas.

Politics in Texas is so far to the right this affects the relative progressiveness and conservativeness of places around the state. So, certainly someone coming from California will have a different frame of reference when judging whether a place is “progressive.”

Old 08-02-2006, 03:25 PM

210-

Very few people live downtown in San Antonio…very few. I was just there a week ago and know numerous people that live there and even compared to the rest of the state (which has sparse downtown options), San Antonio lacks urban living.

For San Antonio’s size, its urban downtown area is small. What, San Antonio is the 6th biggest city in the country now? Places like Hartford, CT and Charlotte, NC have bigger downtowns. Look where the new companies are opening up. They are not moving downtown but building office complexes in the burbs. WAMU is a perfect example.

And as far as suburb sprawl, San Antonio has most places beat (maybe apart from LA, Houston, or Phoenix).

Old 08-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin
A Democratic in Texas would probably be a Republican almost anywhere else, at least outside the South. Just like a Republican in Massachusetts would be labeled a “liberal” if he came down to Texas.

Politics in Texas is so far to the right this affects the relative progressiveness and conservativeness of places around the state. So, certainly someone coming from California will have a different frame of reference when judging whether a place is “progressive.”
And our current Mayor who is again, one of the most popular Mayors in the history of SA is extremely progressive.

This isn't 1990 San Antonio anymore.

And the only ones with that same mind frame of San Antonio are former San Antonians not living here anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio