Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on living in the Inland Empire California, Inland Empire culture different or similar to Los Angeles, San Diego, Temecula

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM

315 posts, read 349,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine22 View Post
how do you like the preserve at chino??? my husband and me are considering a move there from south orange county...

It's a newer nice community. I am still considering moving there in the near future when I see a good deal. The only issues I have are the dairies have not and do not look like they will be leaving anytime soon. The smell and flies can get bad but fortunately not year round. Also the local elementary has not opened due to lack of enrollment which for me is negative since I have small kids. And today I cam across this little gem in the paper ...City officials said they are concerned about the safety of residents near the
67-year-old prison, which they say is deteriorating structurally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:42 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I kind of hate how all of San Bernadino & Riverside are lumped together as the "IE". SanBerdu is pretty different from south west Riverside county for example. I don't identify with San Bernadino at all...even Riverside is different from the Temecula area.
I agree that any middle class suburb in SoCal is pretty much the same though...if that doesn't contradict what I just said, haha.

So yeah, I grew up in the Temecula area...squeaky clean, white, and pretty much booooring. It has grown a lot in the past 10 years though. Mostly the typical chain restaurants and shopping, but you can find some good local run places if you look for them.
The wine country is very pretty, the sky is still actually blue (unlike most of SoCal) and the spring time makes you appeciate that there are still open fields for the gorgeous wild flowers to grow.

Oldtown Temecula has the longterm plan of becoming like Old Town Pasadena. If that happens, then I may actually like it here, haha. I think it does have the potential to have more culture if the city stops fighting it. It seems like there's more & more young working singles staying in th area, so there is demand for nightlife and things less "family-oriented". Many people who live here came from SD, OC & LA. My family came from LA & we went back a lot growing up.

About the heat...people in SD love to exaggerate the heat here. They act like all of summer is over 100 degrees. It maybe gets over 100 for 2 weeks out of the year, max. Typical summer temps are more like 85-95 range, and of course the nights cool off considerably. The spring and fall are incredibly pleasant. Winter gets cold enough for some frost on the car windsheild in the morning, and we get a rare snow flurry every 10 years. So it's still pretty mild weather, by most people's standards.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
It's a newer nice community. I am still considering moving there in the near future when I see a good deal. The only issues I have are the dairies have not and do not look like they will be leaving anytime soon. The smell and flies can get bad but fortunately not year round. Also the local elementary has not opened due to lack of enrollment which for me is negative since I have small kids. And today I cam across this little gem in the paper ...City officials said they are concerned about the safety of residents near the
67-year-old prison, which they say is deteriorating structurally.
Nice! Bottom Rider, maybe someday we can be neighbors :P.... where abouts do you live now? I'm not too worried about the school or the prison, supposively there's fewer prisoners living there than last year which is good? And, the Chino PD is pretty stringent. In fact, crime rates actually have fallen through the years.

About the school, Chino Valley Unified already took hold of it, and from how many kids/children I see around here, I'm pretty confident it should be able to open next fall... just in time for my little one to go Of course, it'll depend on our State economy and such.

The smells coming from the dairies aren't too bad. Occasionally in the evenings it crops up. But in the most part living by the farms has a certain novelty to it compared to living in a denser area like we did before.

Wow, I'm starting to envy those who are in the position to buy and come out here. I went by the Hidden Hollow Sales center last weekend and was surprised by how many units have sold and closed out of those currently being built. You can get a 2200+ sq/ft 3+ bed/3+ bath house for around $330k... and that was the listing price. Now that interest rates have dropped almost .75 basis points... man... it's so unfair!!

Oh, well, such is life. Since the government took over Fannie and Freddie, it should free up available credit for lending. Also, Oct is coming up when the Cities should start getting the funds to buy up Foreclosures. So, we'll see what's going to happen.

-chuck22b

Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
The smells coming from the dairies aren't too bad.
I would probably say the same thing if I had to live there but, the reality is ...

The smell is TERRIBLE. I have been over there several times and almost took a job in Chino but didn't, in part, because I just wasn't looking forward to cow stink every day.

And let's be honest ... that's what it is ... cow stink. There's just too many dairies around there. The smell permiates everywhere you go.

I'm sure you eventually block it out living there day after day but ... you can't say it's not too bad because it definitely is bad.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:48 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I would probably say the same thing if I had to live there but, the reality is ...

The smell is TERRIBLE. I have been over there several times and almost took a job in Chino but didn't, in part, because I just wasn't looking forward to cow stink every day.

And let's be honest ... that's what it is ... cow stink. There's just too many dairies around there. The smell permiates everywhere you go.

I'm sure you eventually block it out living there day after day but ... you can't say it's not too bad because it definitely is bad.
Yea, I'm probably biased or got used to it... or something but it doesn't really bug me most of the time. I commute to Anaheim, so I'm not immersed in cow smell most of the day... but even when I go home... it doesn't really seem that bad to me. We have visitors come by and most of the time they said it's not that bad (maybe they're just being nice). Occasionally though, yes, it can get bad. Late evenings (i think the ranchers come out or something during that time) and wet/moist days are when they get the worst but if your inside... it doesn't really matter. We are living among ag/farm land after all.

Hey! and the best part is if you... ...... you can say it was the cows .. and besides where else could my daughter see the cows and go moooo! mooo!

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 09-09-2008 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM

24 posts, read 77,337 times
Default IE vs north county

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
For those who live in the I.E., what is it like to live there? I ask because I grew up in North County San Diego and years ago my family was deciding whether to stay in San Diego or move to the I.E. We would visit the I.E. frequently and IMO it was something totally different from San Diego. At the time, Temecula was barely becoming the city that it is today. Is I.E. culture very different from that of L.A., O.C. and S.D.? any young people on this forum who can descibe their experience in the I.E.?

Although Im just curious, this may be informative to anyone considering moving to the Inland Empire.
The IE, although becoming more "white collared" still doesn't nor will it ever comparte to OC or SD. It gets very hot out there in the summer and there's not as much to do as in OC. And parts of the IE get very windy when the Santa Ana winds kick in. The air quality is bad too. The IE people aren't as snobbish as the OC peeps, but they're also not as attractive either. The IE isn't as green as OC, lots of dirt and dust. The good thing about the IE is that it's much cheaper to buy or rent than in OC. You'll get more property for your money in the IE but I'd rather live in a smaller place for the same money in OC. Stick to SD or OC if you can.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman716 View Post
The IE, although becoming more "white collared" still doesn't nor will it ever comparte to OC or SD. It gets very hot out there in the summer and there's not as much to do as in OC. And parts of the IE get very windy when the Santa Ana winds kick in. The air quality is bad too. The IE people aren't as snobbish as the OC peeps, but they're also not as attractive either. The IE isn't as green as OC, lots of dirt and dust. The good thing about the IE is that it's much cheaper to buy or rent than in OC. You'll get more property for your money in the IE but I'd rather live in a smaller place for the same money in OC. Stick to SD or OC if you can.
My observations are that the most apparent differences between LA/OC/SD and the Inland Empire is that the IE has experienced development (and all of its associated benefits and costs) more recently relative to the remainder of the Los Angeles Metro area, including Orange County.

I agree that the IE has less white collar jobs than LA or OC. This is evident by the relatively low number of corporate business headquarters/offices that are located here. But with the growth in population in the IE over that last few years, their financial, medical, and other needs will grow and, in turn, the white collar institutions to serve them will grow as well. It will be only a matter of time for the number of white collar jobs in the IE to equal the number in its Southern California counterparts.

I work in a planning department for a local municipality and I can tell you that the growth in the IE has been explosive in the last few years and was humming along nicely until recently. Land that was vacant about 2 years ago has a nice 50,000 square foot office building sitting on it now. And there's one next to that, and another, and another. White collar opportunities abound if you know where to look. I forward Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Chino, and Fontana as evidence.

I agree it is relatively hotter in the IE during the summer. It is also relatively colder in the winter. The proximity to the desert and the distance from any large body of water to moderate temperature extremes ensures this. Frankly, it is a non-issue for me but then I've lived here all of my life and maybe I'm used to it.

One thing I have observed in the coastal and near-coastal areas is the marine layer fog and haze that develops in the late evenings and will often persist for hours after sunrise. Cool (no pun intended) if it is going to be a hot day but a real bummer when you wake up and want to see the sun. In fairness, that marine layer will occur further inland but, usually, it does not linger.

The winds, specifically the Santa Anas, can be irritating at times but I don't consider that to be something that should 'put-off' potential residents - after all, it is just wind. Toppled big rigs on I-15 are the poster child for the Santa Anas but that is generally the most damage that occurs. Another point that must be made is that wind speed and duration are not uniform throughout the IE; they will vary depending on where you are. The most intense winds will occur along the base foothills of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel mountain ranges, and below passes such as El Cajon.

Interestingly, when the winds come through it helps with the air quality which, I agree, is not very good from time-to-time. Yes, thermal inversions, the topography, and the prevailing winds the normally flow west to east will cause pollutants and particate matter to concentrate here. However, the air quality is substantially better than it was when I was growing up in Pomona about 25 years ago. But that positive change over time is largely the result of stringent air quality regulations that apply to the entire Southern California basin.

Regarding the 'greenness', keep in mind that Southern California does not experience much natural precipitation. If you don't agree with this, then the next time there is a wildfire in SoCal, watch how fast the natural vegetation goes up in smoke. A lot of the nice, green landscaping that you do see is the result of imported water. Imported from Northern California via the State Water Project, from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct, and the Colorado River via the California Aqueduct. So comparing the IE to other SoCal locations is a comparison between relatively undeveloped IE with the other places that have already been developed. If that makes no sense, look at it this way - we water where we live. As the IE becomes more developed, you will see more watered lawns, golf courses, shopping areas, etc. Whether this is sustainable for Southern California as a whole, in the long term, is another thread.

More development would also solve the "dust and dirt" problem. You're going to see a lot of that simply because of the relatively undeveloped conditions here. After all, if nothing is built on a vacant parcel what are you looking at? Dirt! I don't know about everyone else. But that's opportunity right there. Opportunity is a job and a job is money.

Finally, regarding the quality and value for money as it relates to the housing stock in the IE, there are a number of nice communities here. There are also communities that will have you (or me) looking to find the fastest way out of there. That's a characteristic everywhere.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:02 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
The IE is following the path of OC. The IE is currently where OC was in the 1970s. It's in a transition state of white, middle class, blue collar and diverse, lower/middle/upper classes, more white collar. The OC in the 1970s was not the end all be all today. The IE will develop nicely as population center, just like the OC. Already, the IE had the largest gains in total number of people moving here with a 4 year degree.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:32 AM

315 posts, read 349,789 times
That's interesting about the growth of 4 year degrees in the IE. Where do you get those statistics? I have been out here for over 10 years and wife and I have a degree but the majority of our neighbors have just a HS or a few years of comm. college education. Mostly blue collar jobs.. RE, construction, retail, etc..

Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
That's interesting about the growth of 4 year degrees in the IE. Where do you get those statistics? I have been out here for over 10 years and wife and I have a degree but the majority of our neighbors have just a HS or a few years of comm. college education. Mostly blue collar jobs.. RE, construction, retail, etc..
That was my experience as well. I'm sure the number of people with four year degrees is increasing but, overall, it's still probably a very small percentage of the overall population ... at least from what I saw.

Although that may change as the IE grows. It is the future growth area of the state so hopefully that would include college educated residents as well.

I've always debated whether the IE is the future OC or not. In a lot of ways it could be. On the other hand ... a lot of the business expansion seems to be blue collar related ... not white collar like what you see in Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties