Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM

31 posts, read 76,915 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for a good AAS cabinet making/woodworking program. Palomar seems to have a good one.

I live in Texas at the moment, but am of East Indian descent. I don't like Texas too much. After awhile the country feel does grow on you, the pickup trucks, the bars, but I feel a place like CA would be much better for me in many ways - including a deeper racial naturalization and acceptance. Texans arn't racist (or haven't been to me, in any case), but with the heavy christian fundamentalist thing going on and the conservative tendencies, I don't feel very naturalized.

I visited SF on two separate occasions a few years apart, and imemdiately clicked with the culture and the city in general. Granted, this isnt SF, but its urban CA, and the weather seems like it is great - which is a big plus for me as I don't really like weather extremes.

Somebody told me this, however, "San Diego county, especially North County, is difficult for new comers. It has to do with the marine base and navy bases.As I said, North (San Diego) County is a rough place to become accepted as a member of the community." Is it really so?

I look for a fairly liberal but not bleeding heart community. More relaxed than fast paced but not a community of rasta stoners either. A good interracial dating pool would be a plus.

There are a few colleges for AAS in woodworking, Cerritos in LA included. I am trying to choose one, and the community life criterion is something I want to address a little.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
I can't speak to the community itself, but I do teach English classes at Palomar. The school itself is quite diverse. With one of my classes this past semester, fully one-third of my students were international students. Seven were Japanese nationals, one was from Kenya and another was from Belgium. The remaining students were also ethnically diverse.

These students live from Oceanside to Escondido so there is definitely ethnic diversity in the area. I've had multiple classes where fewer than half of my students were white. I would think that you'd have no problem finding a community/individuals who you could make acquaintances/friends/significant others with.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
"San Diego county, especially North County, is difficult for new comers. It has to do with the marine base and navy bases."

Military types are only a small part of the population and they are tightly concentrated near their respective bases and in designated military housing. If you're concerned about this, don't settle within 5 miles from Camp Pendleton.

There are lots and lots of Indians in North County. My only concern would be that you may not be able to afford to live where they do.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM

Well, I'm not looking for Indians. I am not looking to avoid them, I'm not looking for one culture over another.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
I'm just saying that there are many parts of the county where indians are accepted.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 PM

204 posts, read 641,971 times
I've actually heard great things about the woodworking dept at Palomar.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:21 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijabhaava View Post
Granted, this isnt SF, but its urban CA, and the weather seems like it is great - which is a big plus for me as I don't really like weather extremes.
I wouldn't call Northern San Diego County urban - definitely suburban, with some rural, but very little urban. San Marcos, the town Palomar is located in, is very much suburban, with some rural parts, but no urban downtown. I love the area, but if you want the urban experience, it will mean driving down to San Diego - that's what the locals do - so you'll be in good company!

As for the weather, when I was growing up they used to call Vista, the city next door, a Climate Wonderland - because it had more days per year that were 70 degrees than any other place in the United States. San Marcos is slightly more inland, so it's a little warmer in the summer, but not much.

Quote:
Somebody told me this, however, "San Diego county, especially North County, is difficult for new comers. It has to do with the marine base and navy bases.As I said, North (San Diego) County is a rough place to become accepted as a member of the community." Is it really so?
The military bases are there, yes, but they don't have much impact on most people who live in San Diego. I'm a fifth generation Californian, and grew up in Vista, and spent most of the last decade in Fallbrook - and I attended Palomar - and I have a wide circle of friends - but never anyone who was in the military. It's a big area, with a big population, and no one group dominates.

That said, if you wanted friends who are in the military, you could make that happen, but if you don't go looking for it, it probably won't have an impact on your life here.

Quote:
There are a few colleges for AAS in woodworking, Cerritos in LA included. I am trying to choose one, and the community life criterion is something I want to address a little.
In community college you get a wider range of people, and many of them are busy with lives outside of school, unlike a four-year college, where most are primarily focussed on school. So you may have to make a little more effort to make friends... but that's true of all community colleges in Southern California, not just Palomar.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I wouldn't call Northern San Diego County urban - definitely suburban, with some rural, but very little urban. San Marcos, the town Palomar is located in, is very much suburban, with some rural parts, but no urban downtown. I love the area, but if you want the urban experience, it will mean driving down to San Diego - that's what the locals do - so you'll be in good company!

As for the weather, when I was growing up they used to call Vista, the city next door, a Climate Wonderland - because it had more days per year that were 70 degrees than any other place in the United States. San Marcos is slightly more inland, so it's a little warmer in the summer, but not much.

The military bases are there, yes, but they don't have much impact on most people who live in San Diego. I'm a fifth generation Californian, and grew up in Vista, and spent most of the last decade in Fallbrook - and I attended Palomar - and I have a wide circle of friends - but never anyone who was in the military. It's a big area, with a big population, and no one group dominates.

That said, if you wanted friends who are in the military, you could make that happen, but if you don't go looking for it, it probably won't have an impact on your life here.

In community college you get a wider range of people, and many of them are busy with lives outside of school, unlike a four-year college, where most are primarily focussed on school. So you may have to make a little more effort to make friends... but that's true of all community colleges in Southern California, not just Palomar.
Thanks for the response. Yes, a 4 year college would probably more outrightly social - but not many 4 year colleges have degree woodworking programs. Also, I'm 22, and would not fit in most likely with most 4 year college crowd. At a CC there are more likely to be some older folk of different ages attending, and I will live off campus so can visit the local college bar scenes and such.

My other option is Seattle CCC in Seattle. Trying to make a choice between these. I feel like I might like the culture a little more in Seattle - but the weather is a big put off

Old 12-26-2010, 01:17 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
I feel like I might like the culture a little more in Seattle - but the weather is a big put off
It's smart to consider the weather. Seattle is difficult for some people because of the grey skies - it's just sort of dreary a lot of the time - and if you're into that, or don't mind it, then Seattle is great! But if you're not into it, the grey-ness can get to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego