Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:07 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

Are you all as happy as I am that the heat is finally gone? 8 straight days of upper 90 degree temps (2 of them over 100 degrees) was enough for me to wish for June Gloom again.

It won't be long before the dry Santa Ana days arrive so that our lips crack and bleed, our skin starts to flake, our eyes turn red and itchy, and seeing the hills on fire will be a daily occurence - Gee, I can't wait.

At least this time it will be a dry heat, I guess.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 09-06-2007 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 AM

213 posts, read 823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Are you all as happy as I am that the heat is finally gone? 8 straight days of upper 90 degree temps (2 of them over 100 degrees) was enough for me to wish for June Gloom again.
Yeah, I'm REALLY happy that it's starting to cool down. I still wore regular summer clothes today (shirt, shorts, flip-flops) and was in downtown tonight, surprisingly feeling cold. I was just really used to the hot, humid, mucky weather where any slightest movement will cause you to get hot and sweat.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

It won't be long before the dry Santa Ana days arrive so that our lips crack and bleed, our skin starts to flake, our eyes turn red and itchy, and seeing the hills on fire will be a daily occurence - Gee, I can't wait.

At least this time it will be a dry heat, I guess.
Thank god my house has central air. I spent labor day weekend laid out with a fan blowing in my face.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
^^Lucky you. No central air here, only a portable one that cooled one room and barely kept up with the heat. It was not fun when it was still in the mid 80's at 10:00pm

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,844 times
Default San Diego is not humid

You people who say San Diego is normaly humid, although not as humid as the southeast or midwest, have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously are not from here, or never took the time to look up at the sky if you are. I've lived here 31 years and the last 3 are unprecedented. San Diego has never been the least bit humid. It was always either overcast/cool, clear/warm, or rain from the north, which were cool rain clouds comming in from the north. We have never had muggy weather (monsoon) shooting up from the south. I'm not saying it's global warming, but it ain't the same. The only humidity we would have was when the marine layer (overcast) would be around, but it would then burn off and become dry. It was like a nutural air conditioner. But whenever there was a cloud here, it was COOL. Not now.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,844 times
You people who say San Diego is normaly humid, although not as humid as the southeast or midwest, have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously are not from here or never took the time to look up at the sky if you are. I've lived here 31 years and the last 3 are unprecedented. San Diego has never been the least bit humid. It was always either overcast/cool, clear/warm, or rain from the north, which were cool rain clouds comming in from the north. We have never had muggy weather (monsoon) shooting up from the south. I'm not saying it's global warming, but it ain't the same. The only humidity we would have was when the marine layer (overcast) would be around, but it would then burn off and become dry. It was like a natural air conditioner. Key point, wheneve there was a cloud in the sky here, it was COOL. Not now.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:55 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I can tell it's changing just by the fish we get up here now. The last 5 years we have caught(on a regular basis) Dorado, Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna. Usually we caught Dorado only occasionally and for a short amount of time that the water was warm enough for them. It starts earlier every year and lasts longer.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:21 AM

225 posts, read 716,285 times
Default No way

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
It's been really hot to me the past few weeks here in San Diego - I'm actually breaking a sweat when I walk outside! Maybe I've just grown used to the mild weather the last few months, but it feels like there is a lot of humidity in the air and that it is making it feel a lot hotter than what the temperature says - the heat I'm feeling reminds me of the South and its humidity. Step in the shade and you still feel warm.

How long does this heat and humidity last? Til mid-October or so? Is it always this humid? I'm about 15 miles inland for work, though I live on the coast, but I'm not there during the day.

Which leads me to what is probably a stupid question, but what is the winter like here? It's still humid, right, so does it feel cold in the winter? Like when the temperature goes to the 50s or 40s? What is the rain like in the winter? I'm curious as to what to expect. I've been here since mid-March. Should I expect anything drastic from October-February? More clouds? Much cooler? More rain?
Humidity! your kidding me right. I lived there for 5 years and never had air conditioning. Move to the south if you wanna sweat like a pig. From May to right now it's muggy that if your working outside you will need a shower and a couple of changes of clothes.

Last edited by bmd51; 08-31-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-31-2008, 09:26 AM

225 posts, read 716,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Generally, San Diego is humid. Makes sense, with the water there. People don't think of it as humid, as there is little very hot weather. People tend to relate humid to 90 with high humidity -- muggy Midwestern days -- which are rare here.

To me, 55 in San Diego in winter is colder than 40-45 in Denver, yet the humidity makes breathing easier and allergies far more tolerable.

Most of the time, houses run humid -- 50-60% indoor humidity is common. 40% is about ideal. Rarely does our humidity drop between 40%, although it did for about two weeks last "winter".
Where do you lived, Move to the south. your kidding me right

Old 08-31-2008, 10:40 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by style1 View Post
You people who say San Diego is normaly humid, although not as humid as the southeast or midwest, have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously are not from here or never took the time to look up at the sky if you are. I've lived here 31 years and the last 3 are unprecedented. San Diego has never been the least bit humid. It was always either overcast/cool, clear/warm, or rain from the north, which were cool rain clouds comming in from the north. We have never had muggy weather (monsoon) shooting up from the south. I'm not saying it's global warming, but it ain't the same. The only humidity we would have was when the marine layer (overcast) would be around, but it would then burn off and become dry. It was like a natural air conditioner. Key point, wheneve there was a cloud in the sky here, it was COOL. Not now.
All of which may be true, but saying San Diego is humid to people who are originally from the Northeast or the South would be like saying San Diego is cold in the winter to people who are originally from Minnesota and North Dakota. San Diego is still the best place to live in the US if you want to get away from humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego