Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM

11 posts, read 15,521 times

Advertisements

yes. Black jack, paigow, baccarat, various carnival games. This is my last resort. I would like not to go this route until I weight my options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,131,949 times
I would think an entry level accounting position might be hard to find. Many people with degrees in the field compete for those......but one never knows.

good luck with your planning. =)

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What do you call "budget housing"? If you're referring to the Section 8 program, there's a 7-10 year waiting list. The Head Start schools probably also have waiting lists.

Do you have a job lined up already? Do you have a large savings to hold you until you find work? How much do you think you can afford to pay in rent? What about day care for your son if you can't get into a Head Start school? Day care is expensive.

These are questions that need to be answered before you can even think of moving.

These are the questions I am tying to figure out right now.
I know I can get my son to free child care. I already called and talked to representatives. Section 8 has different programs. One of them is when the government pays portion of your rent to private land lords. But there are also low budget appartments and they are avaiable. They run from $400 to $1000 per month. But I don't know how safe they are, and it was one of my questions

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchak67 View Post
These are the questions I am tying to figure out right now.
I know I can get my son to free child care. I already called and talked to representatives. Section 8 has different programs. One of them is when the government pays portion of your rent to private land lords. But there are also low budget appartments and they are avaiable. They run from $400 to $1000 per month. But I don't know how safe they are, and it was one of my questions

If you're 100% positive about the free child care, that's going to take a huge financial burden off your shoulders as preschool/day care is typically in the $900/$1,000 per month range which would take up 50% of your stated monthly budget.

That's great news if you're sure about that and the free child care.

I don't know anything at all about Section 8 or low budget apartments so I can't help you there. But probably best to budget for worst case scenarios and at the higher end of the price ranges you are seeing.

You mentioned that the child's healthcare is covered. Is yours? Obviously your goal will be to find a job where you will get full medical coverage but until then, you'll probably have to be getting private coverage? Just make sure you're planning on all expenses.

I understand the rationale for wanting to be closer to the father. Is he providing financial assistance? If he is providing adequate child support, of course that makes s big difference as well. When you posted $2,000 a month does that really INCLUDE the child support already?

If you are close to an accounting degree than obviously you're not going to have any problems figuring out how much goes out and how much comes in each month. But I would be very conservative and make sure your spreadsheet includes everything. (Examples below

-Mortgage or Rent
- Property taxes if you own
-Phone (Land line and Cell phone, blackberry, etc)
- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)
- HOA fees (if you own vs. rent)
- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)
- Car payments
- Car insurance
- Auto Fuel each month for each car
- Registration fees for your car each year
- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes
- Home/rental insurance for your property
- Life insurance
- Health insurance premiums
- Dental insurance premiums
- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)
- Prescription medications
- School expenses for kids (tuition, stuff for school, ballet classes, etc)
- Babysitter expenses
- Clothes for kids and yourself
- Toys for kids
- Dry Cleaning
- Health club / gym
- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)
- Extracurricular activities dues/fees
- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, Seaworld, Zoo, concerts, sporting events, etc --- TONS of stuff to do with kids here)
- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions
- Dining out at restaurants
- Grocery budget
- Retirement savings contributions
- Kids college fund savings contributions
- Charity/donations
- Travel / vacation expenses
- Federal/State/local income taxes
- Any revolving debt payments you might have
- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc --- this doesn't apply to me but it does for many people)
- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues
- Non reimbursed office/work expenses and supplies

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
If you're 100% positive about the free child care, that's going to take a huge financial burden off your shoulders as preschool/day care is typically in the $900/$1,000 per month range which would take up 50% of your stated monthly budget.

That's great news if you're sure about that and the free child care.

I don't know anything at all about Section 8 or low budget apartments so I can't help you there. But probably best to budget for worst case scenarios and at the higher end of the price ranges you are seeing.

You mentioned that the child's healthcare is covered. Is yours? Obviously your goal will be to find a job where you will get full medical coverage but until then, you'll probably have to be getting private coverage? Just make sure you're planning on all expenses.

I understand the rationale for wanting to be closer to the father. Is he providing financial assistance? If he is providing adequate child support, of course that makes s big difference as well. When you posted $2,000 a month does that really INCLUDE the child support already?

If you are close to an accounting degree than obviously you're not going to have any problems figuring out how much goes out and how much comes in each month. But I would be very conservative and make sure your spreadsheet includes everything. (Examples below

-Mortgage or Rent
- Property taxes if you own
-Phone (Land line and Cell phone, blackberry, etc)
- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)
- HOA fees (if you own vs. rent)
- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)
- Car payments
- Car insurance
- Auto Fuel each month for each car
- Registration fees for your car each year
- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes
- Home/rental insurance for your property
- Life insurance
- Health insurance premiums
- Dental insurance premiums
- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)
- Prescription medications
- School expenses for kids (tuition, stuff for school, ballet classes, etc)
- Babysitter expenses
- Clothes for kids and yourself
- Toys for kids
- Dry Cleaning
- Health club / gym
- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)
- Extracurricular activities dues/fees
- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, Seaworld, Zoo, concerts, sporting events, etc --- TONS of stuff to do with kids here)
- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions
- Dining out at restaurants
- Grocery budget
- Retirement savings contributions
- Kids college fund savings contributions
- Charity/donations
- Travel / vacation expenses
- Federal/State/local income taxes
- Any revolving debt payments you might have
- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc --- this doesn't apply to me but it does for many people)
- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues
- Non reimbursed office/work expenses and supplies

Good luck.
I already know my budget. If I get my last job back, my monthly paychecks will be $2000 - $2300. The boy will be covered by his father's insurance, and the father will be paying $400 in child support. This will be enough to survive in Temecula, but because of my moderate income I won't receive any government assistance (which means no free childcare and no low budget apartment). Also, I won't be able to start my career in accounting.

What I am trying to figure out if I can be on federal assistance until I pass my CPA exams. I will still work, but instead of making $25 dollars an hour, I will be making only $10 as an entry level accountant. Being a low income single mother in San Diego means free child care and low budget apartments. So, it’s the same for me. I can either make 40k or struggle financially because I don’t qualify for any sort of government assistance. Or I can make 20 k a year, still struggle financially and let the government pay for childcare and provide me with a cheap place to live.

I am trying to figure out how I can survive on making 10 dollars an hour and that’s why I came here. I can stay with my friends for free until I settle everything.

I know I can cut on car expenses ($400 a month) if I live in downtown San Diego. But what would be a safe area , which is connected by public transportation?
Are San Diego buses safe?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Still trying to explain myself here))

If I decide on the "low income" route, my total income (including child support) will be $2000 ( this is the worst scenario)

It looks like that all I can afford is $800-900 for a one bedroom apartment and $200 for utilities. Another $1000 will be spent on food, clothes and miscellaneous expenses. Childcare will be taken care of and there will be no car expenses.

I know that $900 won’t get me the safest place, but that’s why I am trying to research. If I know safe areas that are connected by public transportation, I will look things up on craigslist or research low budget apartment in these areas.

Please help

Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,361,461 times
You can get a one bedroom apartment in the city for $800-$900 per month. A bus pass will cost you $72 per month, and that's unlimited bus and trolley riding.

I don't know what type of low budget apartments you're thinking of, but you won't be able to get on Section 8. Like I said in another post, there's a waiting list for it, and you can't just arrive and get it immediately, even with a child. The Housing Commission website says that it's a 5-8 year wait.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,131,949 times
In terms of safety which you mention many times in your posts, it's hard to estimate. I have been here a year and while trolleys and buses appear safe there are some who don't feel that way. Predictors of violent crime are:

Being around people who use drugs or alcohol. This would include living near bars.
Traveling between the hours of 11pm to 5am.
Carrying cash.

I would contact a school here. Tell them your career goals and see if financial assistance could potentially pay your tuition and repay the loan after graduation, assist with childcare and housing. Many people in school share homes. In so doing you can further your career goals. You sound like a strong person and one who deserves help as you help yourself....that said you lack a plan so far. Just arriving with your child can be risky. I encourage you to align your work goals and your schooling first and let the other assistance stem from that. Millions of people travel the world and show up and some find work, some don't.

The smart money is on the person with a plan.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Looks like you have it all figured out!
Low income housing is hard to come by in the city of San Diego.
Most of the low income housing at or near downtown imo is NOT SAFE!
Look for places that are near san diego city limits and still close to downtown via bus or trolley.
National City
Chula Vista
La Mesa
El cajon
Spring Valley
Lakeside
Imperial Beach
All should have low income housing programs.

Here are some places to call in La mesa:
Murray Manor 5700 Cowles Mtn. Blvd. (619) 460-9600
Campina Court Apts. 9000 Campina Drive (619) 698-6440
Alterra/Pravada 8735 Fletcher Parkway (619) 464-9500

With a small child i would eventually think about getting a Used car.
Public transportation in San Diego sucks ( even living in downtown)

If You have a semi emergency you may be stuck taking 2 buses and the trolley just to get to the doctor or baby sitter.
Keep That in mind!
Just do your homework like you have been doing and you will be fine

Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Looks like you have it all figured out!
Low income housing is hard to come by in the city of San Diego.
Most of the low income housing at or near downtown imo is NOT SAFE!
Look for places that are near san diego city limits and still close to downtown via bus or trolley.
National City
Chula Vista
La Mesa
El cajon
Spring Valley
Lakeside
Imperial Beach
All should have low income housing programs.

Here are some places to call in La mesa:
Murray Manor 5700 Cowles Mtn. Blvd. (619) 460-9600
Campina Court Apts. 9000 Campina Drive (619) 698-6440
Alterra/Pravada 8735 Fletcher Parkway (619) 464-9500

With a small child i would eventually think about getting a Used car.
Public transportation in San Diego sucks ( even living in downtown)

If You have a semi emergency you may be stuck taking 2 buses and the trolley just to get to the doctor or baby sitter.
Keep That in mind!
Just do your homework like you have been doing and you will be fine

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego