Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I left too. Upwardly mobile, white-collar, stable-family, productive postgraduates.

But...

We can't wait to come back!!

We'll take all of California's faults over those of the rest USA. Right now we're stuck in Boston. If you think LA/SF/SD are backwards societies, you should see this place! I have never--not travelling to, and living in, 30+ other countries seen such a ridiculously upside-down society.

The Midwest is no better, nor the Southeast, and even NYC sucks compared to LA. As for the WSJ; it's laughable that anyone who writes for the WSJ would dare to suggest OTHERS are "out of touch" for fear of being crushed by a hypocritical avalanche of very black pots.

Here's some gems from this particular article: Oracle who? Twitter is a major tech company SINCE WHEN?! eBygone? Right. Next this guy is going to suggest we divest ourselves of google stock and buy RIM.

So that's why we drove to Chicago every chance we got? Oh, but the SS guy in the editors office won't let you mention Chi-town as being part of the vaunted Midwest, though--in truth--it's perhaps the one bright spot.

Oh dread. All those state beaches (anyone is legally entitled to access anywhere below the mean high tide line!), nature preserves, and lack of toxins make California such a terrible place to live. Try living in a state where the EPA is a absent as the WSJ'ers wish it were (I have) and see how long you are willing to tolerate the carcinogens. For us it was at least T-9 months to having kids. We were the lucky ones; wealthy enough at least to leave even if we weren't WS bottled-water filtered-air bubble wealthy.

Well, there's much more in this article to take issue with, but I've got better things to do--like planning a return to CA. For those of you that left/are leaving; thanks for clearing a space for us. Be happy in whatever crappy state you end up in.

For those staying; smart choice. CA has tons of problems and it might not be the best place in the world, but it's still pretty darn great.
Why do I have the sense that this is being written in Boston's traffic nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Interesting piece and agreed with parts of it and disagreed with other parts of it.

Although housing IS expensive here, the author is wrong when he says things like, " 'Basically, if you don't own a piece of Facebook or Google and you haven't robbed a bank and don't have rich parents, then your chances of being able to buy a house or raise a family in the Bay Area or in most of coastal California is pretty weak," says Mr. Kotkin ' ".

This isn't the case. The vast majority of the people so far that I've met in San Diego that own houses here aren't what I'd say the type that got wealthy from stocks, trust funds or robbed a bank. They are very hardworking folks that in many cases are dual income families where both spouses are working. Very responsible people that live within their means. I realize he is being a bit sarcastic in his writing but I still think it gives the wrong idea.

Definitely I'm not saying it's easy to buy here but drive around in all kinds of areas and you will see the vast majority of people that bought here aren't what I'd consider wealthy at all. Granted many people that own in San Diego bought when real estate prices were much lower, but still the bias he has with writing something like the above I don't agree with.

Many people that own in San Diego own due to very hard work, sacrifice and living within their means for many years.

Absolutely I agree that California has it's fair share of problems but I definitely disagree with comments like, "California sucks in every way besides the weather". The weather is absolutely incredible here but I think the overall quality of life here is as well. It's a very safe city for it's size and people are friendly.

Yeah, I agree the taxes here are very high. I did enjoy living in Texas (Dallas) and not paying ANY State income tax, like Alaska. But let me tell you something. Alaska and Texas are NOT California and the overall quality of life is nowhere near as good as it is in California. I didn't enjoy the entire summer when it was mostly over 100 degrees and I had $600 a month electricity bills. Or the 2%+ property tax bills each year.

I've heard from many people that are disenchanted with California or the USA in general. But let me tell you, things are pretty good here and at least here you can see real benefit for your tax dollars.

Most major cities have reasonably good roads, parks, police, firemen, etc. I lived abroad in other countries for 8 years and in many countries the taxes are also very high yet you see almost NO benefit to your tax dollars at work.

We have it very very good here in California compared to other places around the world and the country. No city is perfect and you can probably complain about many cities around the country.

There is a reason why some places are dirt cheap because they are in the middle of nowhere, the weather is absolutely horrible, tornados go through all the time, or a multitude of other reasons. 90%+ of people out there would never have any desire to live in Alaska.

Yeah, the cost of living is higher here, especially when you factor in housing...however I've found it's totally worth it and the quality of life here is much much much higher than anywhere else I've lived.

Don't get me wrong..I do think the taxes here in California are too high and many inefficiencies but I think the same can be said for a lot of other cities too.

San Diego is as close to paradise for my family and I than other places. But if I owned a big company, I'd NEVER base it in California. Even companies that are "based" here many have offshore structures that help them legally achieve maximum tax efficiency or they are starting to open up satellite offices overseas. Definitely I think you will see more of that for good reason.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 04-24-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Oh Paleeez!

All this P$$$ing and Moaning! Life is too short to live someplace that gives you so much distress!

California is my home state and yes it has gotten worse over the years due to citizens that want the services but didn't want to pay for it and mismanagement by elected officials.

I agree with ER, this state is a long way from perfect and it has a lot of faults; but it's my imperfect state and I'll take it any day of the week over where I am now. Texas doesn't have State Income Tax, but it has every other tax you can think of and don't want to acknowledge. When we're driving in this state and we go over one of the Freeway "Flyovers," you can see damn near to Oklahoma, not a mountain in sight. Jeez! Texas is not for me, but it is just right for many others - and that is okay!

When we lived in Guam, Philippines, Japan, Indonesia and Malaysia, each territory or country had it wonders and beauty, but none of them compared to the US and California in particular. I don't understand why folks are so free with complaints and criticism and less willing to work towards making things that aren't right better!

As I stated earlier, stop all the whining and just move to where you want to be. California and Californian accepts ya when you come and will Love ya when you leave (A Mary Kay saying)!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Well since I think everyone can speak their own mind, I don't think we benefit from the "whine label" due respect to ya Aloha.

The difference is this. The government in many locations and countries leaves the person alone. In Arizona I felt similarly to Alaska that a person has innate rights not to be disturbed and to be treated like an adult. Try that with the typical CHP here....

From taxes to darkened windows on cars this state embodies the worst of the "nanny states". Out of money and dysfunctional they pursue ordinary citizens who are law abiding. Entire families are in prison for trying to make money from marijuana and the for profit prison systems are lapping up the profits. In Alaska you can reach the Attorney General's office and talk with his office manager with one phone call. No phone tree.

Try telling people in Alaska that the water from the tap is being recycled from the toilet. Try telling them they can't carry a weapon to protect themselves from the deviates and criminals that roam all cities. You feel welcome in those places, from Alaska to France to the Navajo I simply feel better there than here. Sure it's cold, and the weather here is better no doubt. But I don't have to worry about being caught up in a broken brutal and simply crazy system for simply driving down the road and minding my own business. The authorities here act as if they have some right to tell me how to live. Other places that does not fly. Simple as that. Now granted my rant comes after another meeting with the nazis in the FTB. Shame on them. Did I win? You bet. After sitting on the other side of bulletproof plexiglass and speaking English to people who barely could who clearly felt that I was simply another checkmark.

It sucks.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
I would love to visit Alaska, it sounds wonderful. One of my best friend's parents lived half the year there and the other half in Hawaii. It appears that the type of folks attracted to Alaska have similarities to what I remember in my family and friends in California; a free and adventurous spirit.

For the past several years we have lived all over the U.S. and in a few Foreign Countries, I have missed my home state and I'm very excited to return in less than 40 days. I've enjoyed the people of Texas, I loved living in Maryland and Virginia and consider Hawaii my second home. But I will not put off any longer living where I want to and that's California.

I know I've told the story before of an acquiantance who was an executive in the Hotel industry working in the DC area and wanting to live in Costa Rica. One morning while traveling to work, a truck filled with lumber toppled off the overpass and crushed him in his car. I always remember my last meeting with him and his longing to move to Costa Rica - life is just too short and as they say each day is a Present!!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Here's the problem with your analogy with Alaska.

The whole state, all 600K square miles of it, has 700K people. That is half the population of one city in California, San Diego.

Yes, my sister can leave the doors unlocked on her house. The only reason why their door is locked is because the dogs will get out.

But her entire town has 900 people in it. There are more people living here in my apartment complex. She and her husband know everyone in her town, not just by face, but by name. When they got married, every single person in the town showed up at the reception.

I don't know everyone in my apartment complex. And of the people who I do know, it's very unlikely any of them will be inviting me to their wedding.

Law enforcement for my sister is pretty much non-existent. I call 911 and the cops are here in five minutes. She calls 911 and they might be there in half an hour, if she's lucky.

And most importantly, Alaska gets back $1.84 for every dollar it sends in to Uncle Sam. We get back $0.78 for every buck we send in.

You give us that $0.22 per dollar we send in back and Jerry Brown could fly a helicopter from Sacramento to the Mexican border tossing out $100 bills and still have some money left.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
This ain't Alaska

It's an urban nightmare in the world's most paradisical setting.

It's nice but in the words of Bill Joel it's getting very hard to stay for a lot of regular people. If that keeps up it's going to look like Brazil.

Good article, harsh truth, we'll see if we can turn it around, it's not looking good. If you don't think there's a big problem at this point, you're swimming in the river...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If that keeps up it's going to look like Brazil.

As crazy as it sounds.... San Diego is cheaper than the big metropolitan cities of Brazil. I co-own an apartment in Rio and been to Rio almost 30 times in the past decade. I was recently in Sao Paulo on business and a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area was going for over $300,000 US. Hard to believe it's so expensive there but their economy has been booming but I'd never want to live there full-time.

Brazil has gotten super expensive and crime is pretty bad.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 AM

182 posts, read 323,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
As I have posted before California sucks in every way except the weather. I just finished two meetings with the infamous FTB over back payments which were made (have posted checks) for which they are trying to get it again. Whopping state income taxes, sales tax, gas tax all force people to be at odds with the state. If my family were not here now, I would not be.

As a comparison Alaska has no state income tax. None. If you earn 100K you keep the 8% = $8000.00 that you would pay here in California. There is no sales tax. If you buy a vehicle for the same price you don't pay sales tax. My 2007 Toyota would be $400.00 to register here for 1 year. Alaska? $140.00 for two years....and on and on.

While I have grown to like it a bit more here, I can't wait to leave again. In Alaska one feels as a citizen should, respected by the government. Here? Forgetaboutit.

Rant Button to OFF.
Yes, and then you "get" to live in Alaska. I for one would be miserable in a place that's dark for days at a time, bone chilling cold, and highly conservative. For me Alaska would be like a prison sentence.

People whine far too much about California. We have everything; Entertainment options, varied and diverse natural beauty, a multiculteral population, diverse economic landscape, DIRT cheap higher education, and the list goes on.

Do you pay for that? Of course. However, I got a ridiculously cheap education here, and I make more money than the national average for my profession. They take more, but they pay more here too.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
The Great California Exodus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego