Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 50,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinleyBear View Post
In your opinion, does this sound like a good opportunity?
As others have said the rental price of $800 is low and it's definitely below the going market rate. And so I wonder if it's a little bigger than an old school pre-cell phone telephone booth. The word "opportunity" has a broad meaning but if in your case if you're referring to location then I would say you have picked out or lucked into a great area and street to live on for your first SD home. The crime rate is very low and the ambiance is very, very good, though that doesn't mean you should go out at night without personal protection like pepper spray, etc, etc. I agree with the other person who said you may not ever want to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 11,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERLESBIAN View Post
I wonder if it's a little bigger than an old school pre-cell phone telephone booth. The word "opportunity" has a broad meaning but if in your case if you're referring to location then I would say you have picked out or lucked into a great area and street to live on for your first SD home.
I don't think the apartment itself is anything to get excited about. I believe it is tiny and not very pretty.

I am feeling a little concerned about jobs though. But then again, when I check Craigslist there seems to be jobs out there, even if they are not the greatest. I really don't think we would have to make a whole more than $300/week each. Obviously more would be better. But as said, we lead a quite lifestyle. We love great restaurants but I also love to cook so we don't really go out much. I think we would be content walking, biking, hiking, and working 20+ hours a week to pay for groceries and gas and phone...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
and taxes, car insurance/registration, electricity, phone, cable, etc etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
and taxes, car insurance/registration, electricity, phone, cable, etc etc.
We won't register our car, we pay our insurance in advance, no need for cable. What taxes? Obviously sales tax and such. But we will be renting so no property tax. Phone was on my list. No heat or a/c! That's a lot cheaper than NY where our heat bill is $150/month for 6 months...

Does anyone have any opinions on that specific area? What is it like?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
According to the California DMV, if you work here you live here. And you have 30 days to register your car. I'm just sayin' ....

Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
and you will pay income taxes. Thinking long term, you will need heat in the winter...this isn't Florida.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I agree. Whatever job you get will be taking out state income taxes, in addition to federal. It can get cold in the winter. Whether you use heat or not depends on how warm blooded you are. I grew up in the DC area, lived there most of my life, and I'm extremely cold blooded. I do use heat, because I get cold.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
and you will pay income taxes. Thinking long term, you will need heat in the winter...this isn't Florida.
Is the heat in most apartments electric? Is electric expensive in CA? Right now it is 9pm and 55 degrees and I have my doors open (am sitting with a blanket over my legs). Does it get a lot colder than that?

NY state is very expensive when it comes to taxes. Is CA comparable? We pay a lot in state and income tax and our property taxes are astronomical. I guess when I think of living somewhere for 6 months I don't think of taxes since I have been paying taxes all my life. Is that a simplistic view? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks everyone for you input! I really do want to hear all this! It makes me think....

Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Quote:
Never turned the heat on this winter downtown....

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
As far as craigslist, for every $ 10 hour an hour job there are 300 applicants.same goes for many professional jobs. I have heard this first hand from enough local hiring people to know that it is probably true. not to mention experiencing first hand how hard it was to get a professional job. the saddest thing was they pitch the apps of anyone from out or the area or that have been here less than a year. I was told that this was bc SD can be small town with regard to references and connections and employers have been burned too many times from people moving here poorly prepared and not able to make it financially and or emotionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego