Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,362,784 times

Advertisements

I've read some horrifying reviews of downtown apartments where the pedicab drivers show up from Eastern Europe in the summer time, sometimes 20 to an apartment...bathing in the hot tub, in the pool, etc. Sounded absoultley terrible. Nice complex too in the marina district.

and there are plenty of college students on a free ride from mom and dad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,982,100 times
You're going to get noise, period. If you live in the East Village, it's going to be the police station, with sirens as the cops respond to emergency situations. Or the fire station. Or the crowds for Petco 81 games a year. In Little Italy, it's airplane noise, the trolley and rail cars, and restaurants and bars.

Just expect it. Because if you don't, you are going to miserable.

As for Yelp, I take those reviews with not just a grain, but a whole mountain of salt. You're talking about dozens of complaints in an apartment complex with hundreds of apartments and you're talking multiple years. Could it be that the people complaining are the outliers?

I've been in Vantage Pointe many times to help take care of a friend's pets, and I've never heard any noise that I'd consider excessive. On top of that, you can always call security if people are being too loud, and they will make whoever is being noisy get quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohPhiPhi View Post
I realize that, no need to state the obvious... what I meant by "street noise" is bars, railways, airport corridor or highways nearby, etc...

Read the reviews on Yelp or many other forums. There are dozens of threads from people renting at complexes like Vantage Pointe and the such complaining that college kids are partying every second night, running around the building corridors, loud music till the wee hour, etc. Literally dozens of people complaining about the same thing, so there's got to be something about it...

Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,362,784 times
reviewers can be taken with a grain of salt unless they are all saying the same thing. The accounts of the pedicab drivers taking over this particular complex seemed too hard to have been made up and many supported it. I look for common threads in complaints. If they are just pissed they didn't get their security deposit back, well welcome to the world

I just signed my lease today (I'm starting out in Carlsbad as I know I need quiet and comfort to start with, maybe I'll move on after a year there to something more exciting, but I work from home). I'm quite excited but the complex didn't get stellar reviews, they are under new ownership though so I take it with a "somewhat" grain of salt and expect some of the things will annoy me as well, but that is also why I decided on a corner, top floor unit.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,982,100 times
I think that Carlsbad is a good place to be if you're looking for quiet. In fact, a lot of the people who I know that live there say that's what they like about it. That's great you found a place you like.

As for the annoying things, anyone who says they've found a place that's perfect is lying. You're going to have something. It can be the need to hop in a car to get anything, which is extremely annoying to me. Or homeless people who smell bad on the same block. Or the street noise. Or people with cars on cinder blocks who you're sure are cooking meth.

Even in La Jolla, you're going to have to put up with a former Presidential candidate who wants to raze his current home, build a new one, and who doesn't feel like you should be able to stop the construction if it obstructs the view of the ocean from your house. And those homes ain't cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
reviewers can be taken with a grain of salt unless they are all saying the same thing. The accounts of the pedicab drivers taking over this particular complex seemed too hard to have been made up and many supported it. I look for common threads in complaints. If they are just pissed they didn't get their security deposit back, well welcome to the world

I just signed my lease today (I'm starting out in Carlsbad as I know I need quiet and comfort to start with, maybe I'll move on after a year there to something more exciting, but I work from home). I'm quite excited but the complex didn't get stellar reviews, they are under new ownership though so I take it with a "somewhat" grain of salt and expect some of the things will annoy me as well, but that is also why I decided on a corner, top floor unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego