Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:04 AM

7 posts, read 9,283 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I'm a European thinking of moving to San Diego due to a job opportunity. This assignment will last between one and two years, so I'll be renting instead of buying.

I've been reading A LOT about San Diego's districts, and I'd love to get some feedback from you guys

This is what I'm searching for:

1) I'm not a suburbs fellow, so I'd be looking to move somewhere downtown, well connected, lively and social, but not necessarily around clubbing/bars. I'm more into cultural, cafe scene, cute restaurants, food markets, etc.

2) I'm looking for a 1000'ish sq feet condo/loft/apartment. Looking to spend around $2,500/month rental fully equipped and furnished. Probably one of those fully-serviced apartment complexes.

3) It needs to be a safe area, safe to walk at night, gang free, etc.

I've been reading that in GasLamp and East Village there are many homeless, drunk youngsters, urine smell, etc, so I'm not sure I'd like that type of vibe to be honest. Therefore, I was considering the Little Italy, Core-Columbia and Cortez districts.

Anyway, would you guys be kind enough to share some pointers with this San Diego newbie?

Thank you very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,927,836 times
You can probably rent a town house in Scripps for that. Yes, it is a suburb but a very nice one and centrally located.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:46 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,597,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You can probably rent a town house in Scripps for that. Yes, it is a suburb but a very nice one and centrally located.
To me, centrally located means anything South of the 52 and North of the 94 or around the 94. I would not call Scripps Centrally located, that's North County in my book. But at least your giving him/her more options T4Y, more bang for their buck.

For $2500 and 1000 SQ Feet, you could easily get a 2 bedroom condo in Little Italy. Look in Little Italy and you can be right downtown away from the craziness of the Gaslamp Quarters and the seediness of the East Village.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 PM
OHW

102 posts, read 148,107 times
I don't want to clog up the board with a lot of threads, so I'll ask my question in here. Is the East Village pretty sketchy?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,033,030 times
Not to poop on Scripps Ranch, because it is a very nice area, but it is completely opposite from what the Op is looking for.

I think you will do well in Little Italy as stated above. Also try Hillcrest, Banker's Hills, and Mission Hills. The 6th Avenue corridor form Downtown to Hillcrest is nice. But you will be across the street from the park. Parks equal homeless in central San Diego.

East Village is sketchy, due mostly in part to the homeless shelters in the area, thanks Father Joe.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
I don't want to clog up the board with a lot of threads, so I'll ask my question in here. Is the East Village pretty sketchy?
I lived in East Village for 3 years from 2003 to 2006 along 12th Street. I lived there when Petco Park opened, the last few Street Scenes in Downtown SD occurred (I watched 311 and Cypress Hill with a group of other people from the top of Union Bank on 11th), and I watched several old buildings come down and high-rises go up in their place. It has come such a long way from what it was and I loved every minute that I lived there. I still visit from time to time, as a matter of fact we were just there a couple of times for the opening of the Central Library a few weeks ago and of course for ball games.

That being said, the far East Village from 14th to 17th is still the "homeless capital of San Diego" and very sketchy even though there are some brand new condos here and there. From 8th to about 13th street has pretty much been re gentrified and there are apartment, condo, office buildings all over. Now, it is still kind of sketchy even on the better side. I have witnessed many street drug deals go down along the trolley line and while I lived there I was offered a couple of times my self. Bums ask you for cigarettes all the time (I used to smoke) but I never felt like my life was in danger or anything like that. I guess that's just life in the East Village and Downtown SD.

Last edited by malcorub16; 10-25-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 PM

15,138 posts, read 32,428,163 times
I lived in the East Village from 2002 - 2008, and never had a problem. I was living there when the finishing touches were put on Petco Park, and before the Albertson's existed, it was still Yellow Cab. I lived at 14th & Market, worked nights, and was never bothered.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I lived in the East Village from 2002 - 2008, and never had a problem. I was living there when the finishing touches were put on Petco Park, and before the Albertson's existed, it was still Yellow Cab. I lived at 14th & Market, worked nights, and was never bothered.
Yep, that Albertson's came after I moved out, its only 3 streets up from where I used to stay. When I lived their Ralph's was the only grocery chain downtown and they were way to expensive for me in those days and walking from 4th to 12th with groceries was a pain. Bread and milk was about all I bought from there, otherwise I was taking the trolley to Mission Valley Hazard Center Food 4 Less to do my shopping in those days.

I was never "bothered" and never felt threatened AT ALL while in East Village, but I have to be honest, East Village is sketchy and I realized some would be turned off by it.... yet still I liked living that "city life."

Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,362,784 times
I don't know if anyone has searched for a 1000 sq foot apartment lately. I have, specifically been looking for 2 bedrooms or loft. $2500 will most definitley get you something decent but it doesn't go as far as you would think. $2300 seems to be the divider in my research between basic and VERY nice (for that size of course it went get you much of a 3 bedroom).

the FURNISHED part is what I think you will have a hard time finding for that price. You can get a great apartment for 2500. But not furnished.

If you go to Oceanside (which does have a downtown) they built some very cool live/work lofts there -- for reference those are STARTING around 2500 and those are in Oceanside (but they do include all utilities and cable, internet, etc.)

Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I don't know if anyone has searched for a 1000 sq foot apartment lately. I have, specifically been looking for 2 bedrooms or loft. $2500 will most definitley get you something decent but it doesn't go as far as you would think. $2300 seems to be the divider in my research between basic and VERY nice (for that size of course it went get you much of a 3 bedroom).

the FURNISHED part is what I think you will have a hard time finding for that price. You can get a great apartment for 2500. But not furnished.

If you go to Oceanside (which does have a downtown) they built some very cool live/work lofts there -- for reference those are STARTING around 2500 and those are in Oceanside (but they do include all utilities and cable, internet, etc.)
I found a few 1-2 bedrooms condo/apts in Little Italy before responding, but you are right, I missed the FURNISHED part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego