Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 PM

20 posts, read 56,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What exactly are you looking for? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the places that CatWarmer has posted. If you want luxury, try La Jolla.

I appreciate all the info as I said. You may not think there is anything wrong with the places Catwarmer provided links to, but I would not live in a place that has bars on the storm door or windows.

I was looking for information. I had no idea how expensive it is there , obviously.

There is a happy medium between luxury and a dump.

There's no call for sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
I've looked around a lot at 3 bedroom houses with the same kind of criteria and it isn't easy but there are plenty of delightful neighborhoods that offer what you're looking for (including the escape from Chicago weather - my 10 year goal)! I agree that the yard will be the biggest issue. Other potential areas not immediately downtown include Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Bay Ho, and University City (UTC). In all cases, the exact block may make a difference but all of these neighborhoods plus the ones in post #5 would fit your requirements. I checked Craigslist for 1 bedrooms under $1500 and there are several choices but do include cottages, condos, duplexes, etc. Not nice little suburban houses, unfortunately. Here are a few that are currently listed as examples just to show you what kind of housing is in your price range: Ocean Beach Cottage - Great location, 3 blocks to beach 1 Bedroom Cozy House with parking house with garage Live in Craftsman Vintage Charm South Ocean Beach House, Garage and Parking http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4539235480.html http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4546266806.html http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4543943571.html http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4517352262.html

Here's a guide to San Diego communities to give you an idea where they are and what they're like: Discover San Diego Cities, Neighborhoods & Communities | Official Ca. Travel Destination And this is one of the neighborhood threads mentioned above: Neighborhoods in Greater SD
Thanks very much. I really appreciate the time you took to get all this info.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM

441 posts, read 534,186 times
It's certainly an expensive area! We're trying to relocate but would be buying a 3 bedroom house, so we've looked into all of those neighborhoods; we also rented a couple of different places via VRBO for a couple of months in 2012. If you wanted an apartment, you could find nicer options. Just for fun I looked at Craigslist in Chicago, and there would be no way to find "a nice, small house in a good, safe, walkable neighborhood" for $1500 or less. So part of the problem is small rental houses in cities period. The further inland you go, the more choices you'd find, but that takes you away from the lively social opportunities that aren't primarily family based.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Wow... so much for trying to present you with options realistic for your budget that still meet many of your criteria.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
if you are looking for "mild" weather you can look all over the coast of ca and up into Oregon and Washington. It depends what you consider mild. I'm from Chicago and I can tell you that anything from SD to Seattle would be mild to you (though SD a little warm, Seattle a little cold, neither that extreme).

If I were you I'd look in other parts of CA like San Luis Obispo, or other small towns along the coast...and up into Oregon or maybe some parts of inland northern CA...depends how urban you want to be.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Wow... so much for trying to present you with options realistic for your budget that still meet many of your criteria.
it is a bit shocking and takes some getting used to ... in terms of how far your money goes in terms of housing around here. People from the east or midwest can't see how some of these older, smaller places might actually be quite nice inside...the stock here is just older, smaller and more expensive.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
So you look for a place without bars on the windows, it's not a big deal, and not every place has them. Besides, nobody said that you have to live there. My rent is half of your rental budget, and I don't have bars on my windows, nor do any other places where I live.

Maybe San Diego isn't the place for you.

Last edited by moved; 07-01-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogler View Post
I'd like to rent a nice, small house in a good, safe, walkable neighborhood, with tree lined streets.
I can pay about 12-1500 a month plus utilities. I have a small dog. I know that makes it more of a challenge, but I know it can be done if I find the right landlord.
Sorry im late to the Thread!
Not Going To Happen on that budget unless you go in with a roommate.
If you lower your goal to a nice Apartment complex. Some times you can lucky with a one bedroom condo/townhouse.
Good Luck with your search

Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
If you want tree lined streets, try Sacramento, all the streets there are tree lined. Rents are also lower there.

Here's a picture of the dumpy cottage that I lived in for 5 1/2 years. The dumpy cottage with the bars on the windows that you would never consider living in would look really nice if someone moved in and fixed up the outside. Bars on the windows and steel doors don't necessarily mean that the neighborhood is bad.

I don't think San Diego is for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh opinions / info about San Diego neighborhoods please-rsz_1cottage_photo.jpg  

Last edited by moved; 07-01-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you want tree lined streets, try Sacramento, all the streets there are tree lined. Rents are also lower there.

Here's a picture of the dumpy cottage that I lived in for 5 1/2 years. The dumpy cottage with the bars on the windows that you would never consider living in would look really nice if someone moved in and fixed up the outside. Bars on the windows and steel doors don't necessarily mean that the neighborhood is bad.

I don't think San Diego is for you.
Why are you being so nasty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego