Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM

108 posts, read 305,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
An uneducated guess about my husband. To presume you know anything about the personal life of someone on a message board is ignorant to say the least. I don't think I've ever once posted that I'm unhappy here. I think I've posted that the people suck (but I suppose it's just my imagination that when I greet my neighbor he grunts at me, or that when I smile at random people in the mall they sneer. I must be delusional). Your argument might be valid if I were the only person to express having the types of experiences that I've had, but if you've read the Seattle Freeze thread, you'll know that I'm not.

Did you ever think maybe I vent on a message board, so I don't have to vent to my husband? Did you ever possibly consider that maybe this is an outlet, and that I don't spend every moment of every day complaining about living in Seattle? No, of course not, because everyone on the internet is exactly the same as they are in real life.

Oh, and my husband and I are so unhappy that we're expecting our second child, and just happily celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary. We're miserable.
I hear ya. I lived in San Diego for many years and I can concur with what you're saying. Being a midwesterner by birth, I noticed that many people there are so "into themselves" that it's nauseating. I learned NOT to strike up converstions with strangers because that in itself could lead to a fistfight or missunderstood feelings. You are NOT wrong, and you are NOT unhappy, you're just calling it for what it is,and anyone who thinks you're "unhappy" is deluional. SOME POEPLE JUST DON'T LIKE THE TRUTH!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 18,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
I hear ya. I lived in San Diego for many years and I can concur with what you're saying. Being a midwesterner by birth, I noticed that many people there are so "into themselves" that it's nauseating. I learned NOT to strike up converstions with strangers because that in itself could lead to a fistfight or missunderstood feelings. You are NOT wrong, and you are NOT unhappy, you're just calling it for what it is,and anyone who thinks you're "unhappy" is deluional. SOME POEPLE JUST DON'T LIKE THE TRUTH!
Are you talking about Seattle or San Diego?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM

327 posts, read 963,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You pretty much exemplify what people are talking about. You wonder about the "myth" of the "Seattle Freeze" yet admit you are introverted people that only stick to your small circle. You mention you are "elitist" and "picky". How does this not exemplify the "Seattle Freeze" theory??

So basically it seems that unless you are liberal and share the same exact values and opinions as other liberals then you won't be accepted or liked. WOW, what "diversity" you seem to crave and how "open minded" and "tolerant" you are....... I'm not conservative but man that is a pretty hypocritical and JUDGMENTAL mentality there.

I don't really have a negative or positive view of people in Seattle, but your post sure did give me the negative aspect of the people there.
Hey, I'm simply being honest and telling you how it is. Seattle is full of smart and liberal people. Driving around in a Hummer with Bush/Cheney stick isn't going to earn you brownie points up here. But, we're polite enough to tolerate anybody and not lean on our car horns. Just don't expect us to be your BFF. What's so terrible about being picky about your circle of friends? After all, it's something we all do. "Birds of a feather flock together...." as the saying goes.

I'm not saying the Seattle Freeze doesn't exist. I think the whole point of my post was to explain why the people in Seattle are picky and standoffish. The whole confusion behind the Seattle Freeze is people appear to be very friendly, but it's hard to break through our shells and get close to people up here. It can be tough for some newcomers. However, I have to admit that if you're more liberal and laid back, it will be easier for you to connect with people up here. If you don't fit the mold, don't worry. There's enough people in this city that you'll find plenty of people who think the way you do. If this makes Seattle biased, then we're guilty as charged.

However, Californians can take their insinuating fingers and point them right back at themselves, because you're just as bad if not worse. How many times have people from LA, OC, and north county SD been labeled as plastic, ethnocentric, image conscious people trying to keep up with the Joneses?

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I feel it's my obligation to also point out that Seattle is a very diverse city. The city core is thriving with diversity and culture, which is something that SD and LA cannot claim. It's a wonderful city to spend a day in. It is common knowledge that Seattle is the birthplace of Grunge music: that quasi-angry-depressing rock derivative of the 90s. Once you understand Seattle, it's easy to see why that kind of music started off here. Depressing weather + liberal thinkers + frustrated youth = Grunge music.

I'm not trying to defend Seattle here. We're actually planning on leaving soon. Just can't stand the weather anymore. Seattle is a great city with really interesting and genuine people. If the weather was better, I would stay. But, this whole Seattle Freeze wingeing is just ridiculous, because the people here are generally really cool. I can name many metro areas where people suck MUCH worse.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
Hey, I'm simply being honest and telling you how it is. Seattle is full of smart and liberal people. Driving around in a Hummer with Bush/Cheney stick isn't going to earn you brownie points up here. But, we're polite enough to tolerate anybody and not lean on our car horns. Just don't expect us to be your BFF. What's so terrible about being picky about your circle of friends? After all, it's something we all do. "Birds of a feather flock together...." as the saying goes.
Well it's really judgmental and close minded to begin with. What does it matter what someone political leanings are as long as they are a good person? I have friends that are both liberal and ones that are conservative, but they all have the same thing in common: they are good people and good friends.

And part of the reason why i think it's stupid and close minded to just be around only those that like you is that it leads to ignorance and arrogance. Sitting around and just agreeing with one another causes people to get some false sense they are right and everyone else who doesn't agree or see it their way is wrong. The same type of situation that leads to ignorance and close mindedness on the right is the same thing that can occur on the left. Same difference basically....

Quote:
I'm not saying the Seattle Freeze doesn't exist. I think the whole point of my post was to explain why the people in Seattle are picky and standoffish. The whole confusion behind the Seattle Freeze is people appear to be very friendly, but it's hard to break through our shells and get close to people up here. It can be tough for some newcomers. However, I have to admit that if you're more liberal and laid back, it will be easier for you to connect with people up here. If you don't fit the mold, don't worry. There's enough people in this city that you'll find plenty of people who think the way you do. If this makes Seattle biased, then we're guilty as charged.
And "picky" and "standoffish" is what the whole "Seattle Freeze" thing is about. You basically explained the reasoning for it but didn't want to admit it exists. Either way, you are admitting there is such a thing called the "Seattle Freeze". Doesn't really matter WHY it exists but the fact that it does exists is the problem here.

Quote:
However, Californians can take their insinuating fingers and point them right back at themselves, because you're just as bad if not worse. How many times have people from LA, OC, and north county SD been labeled as plastic, ethnocentric, image conscious people trying to keep up with the Joneses?
This is true, that is the stereotype of Southern CA. But the difference is that I have never seen someone come on here and defend being that way and explain the reasoning for be so.

Quote:
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I feel it's my obligation to also point out that Seattle is a very diverse city. The city core is thriving with diversity and culture, which is something that SD and LA cannot claim. It's a wonderful city to spend a day in.
Okay, i'll give you San Diego but LA??? You got to be kidding me! More people live in the city of LA than the entire Seattle metro area. Los Angeles is by far one of the most diverse cities in America and has tons of culture on par with many other world class cities. Los Angeles is a world class city with so much culture and diversity, way more than Seattle or all of Washington State. I wouldn't even bother trying to compare Seattle to LA in this respect b/c it's apples and oranges here. Comparing it to SD makes more sense and in that regard Seattle beats SD, but not LA.

Quote:
It is common knowledge that Seattle is the birthplace of Grunge music: that quasi-angry-depressing rock derivative of the 90s. Once you understand Seattle, it's easy to see why that kind of music started off here. Depressing weather + liberal thinkers + frustrated youth = Grunge music.
okay......not sure what the point of this was.

Quote:
I'm not trying to defend Seattle here. We're actually planning on leaving soon. Just can't stand the weather anymore. Seattle is a great city with really interesting and genuine people. If the weather was better, I would stay. But, this whole Seattle Freeze wingeing is just ridiculous, because the people here are generally really cool. I can name many metro areas where people suck MUCH worse.
So does telling yourself that the people suck in Place A or B make you feel better about yourself or people in Seattle? Good and bad exists everywhere and I don't see how the people of a whole metropolitan area could all be that bad no matter where you go. Yeah there may be a different vibe or scene from place to place, but people are people no matter where you go. And if you are truly open minded, non judgmental person who knows how to appreciate what a place has to offer rather than complain then you should be happy pretty much in any metro area. I'm sure people in Seattle are pretty cool overall, didn't strike me as anything different from my visits but I was just pointing out what you said was kind of an example of where that Seattle Freeze theory or idea might come from.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
Hey, I'm simply being honest and telling you how it is. Seattle is full of smart and liberal people.
I just love the pompousness of Seattle folks. I guess that's what happens every nerdy high school valedictorian packs up and moves to one place. You end with a bunch of geniuses who lack common social skills and personalities.

I'm sorry, but if you think Seattle is more diverse than SD, then you are wrong. SD has a larger percentage of both Hispanics and Asians than Seattle, which means a more diverse population. With that comes a larger variety of ethnic restaurants to choose from. And please don't embarrass yourself by trying to compare Seattle's diversity to that of LA, it's not even close.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM

202 posts, read 872,884 times
Hmm...one thing I have noticed is that the more educated I become the more humbled I become. I do this because I realize how much there is to know and understand about the world and in doing so, I realize how little I currently understand.

Another thing I have realized is that many times it's the ignorant people who think they know everything about everything, as they say: "ignorance is bliss". It's easy to know everything when you know very little because your world of knowledge is very limited. In order to keep it that way, one must purposely limit their learning and ignore the facts.

Personally I have found that smarter people make life easier, analogous to a smarter rat getting through a maze faster and more efficiently than a rat of lower intelligence. It's harder to be the dumber rat because he is not as efficient at life.

Smartest city in the U.S.? It’s Seattle - Seattle - MSNBC.com

Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,856,157 times
I love how the Seattlites assume that since I'm from CA, I'm

a) Stupid
b) a Republican (how on earth does CA=Republican anyway?)
c) drive a hummer or an SUV
d) I've never lived anywhere else, so I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about

First off, I was in college at 15, and I now work as a software applications developer for a large defense contractor (I must be a real idiot, who couldn't possibly enjoy intellectual conversations or pursuits, since I'm from CA).

I have always voted democrat, and am one of the most liberal people I know (but I lived in San Diego, so I must have a Bush/Cheney sticker on my car, even though I see tons of them on cars in Seattle, I must just be imagining them).

I drive neither a Hummer or an SUV, though I see plenty of them on the roads up here (gee it must be all the transplants because people in Seattle would only ever drive hybrids)

I've lived in Orange County, LA County, San Diego County, and in the Bay Area of CA, I've lived in Indianapolis, IN, and Clifton, NJ (while working in Manhattan), but obviously I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to comparing different cities.

The problem with the people up here, is they're all so busy in their self-masturbatory, "I'm so much smarter than everyone else" euphoria, they don't realize what jackasses they are.

Really, the best thing about the Seattlites is that they tend to make my point for me about the attitudes of the people here.

Last edited by VeronikaW; 05-28-2008 at 12:40 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,319 times
Lol! I think there are alot more Seattle "egghead" types on their computers voicing their opinions (due to crappy weather and introverted personalities) whereas San Diegan's are out enjoying life.

Someone mentioned how below par the schools are in Washington state. This is true! My nephew went to school in Bonita then moved to Washington state, they were a whole year behind! My in-laws all send their kids to private schools up there because the schools are so crappy.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I love how the Seattlites assume that since I'm from CA, I'm

a) Stupid
b) a Republican (how on earth does CA=Republican anyway?)
c) drive a hummer or an SUV
d) I've never lived anywhere else, so I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about

First off, I was in college at 15, and I now work as a software applications developer for a large defense contractor (I must be a real idiot, who couldn't possibly enjoy intellectual conversations or pursuits, since I'm from CA).

I have always voted democrat, and am one of the most liberal people I know (but I lived in San Diego, so I must have a Bush/Cheney sticker on my car, even though I see tons of them on cars in Seattle, I must just be imagining them).

I drive neither a Hummer or an SUV, though I see plenty of them on the roads up here (gee it must be all the transplants because people in Seattle would only ever drive hybrids)

I've lived in Orange County, LA County, San Diego County, and in the Bay Area of CA, I've lived in Indianapolis, IN, and Clifton, NJ (while working in Manhattan), but obviously I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to comparing different cities.

The problem with the people up here, is they're all so busy in their self-masturbatory, "I'm so much smarter than everyone else" euphoria, they don't realize what jackasses they are.

Really, the best thing about the Seattlites is that they tend to make my point for me about the attitudes of the people here.
Lol Veronika, you said it! How arrogant and opinionated. My brother-in-law in Seattle is a super nerd engineer and one of those sneering better/smarter than everyone else types w/the worst social skills. What's odd is he really is nice most of the time but you get him in a debate, even about weather and he turns into one of those.

I loved your A-D assumptions! Lol! How ridiculous is that?!? I see plenty of big gas guzzling cars driven in Seattle, plenty of small minded types that have never lived anywhere else but YET they "know it all".

Old 05-28-2008, 01:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,295 times
Lol @ this thread.

I have lived in both SD and Seattle. And I'm chuckling to myself because while I don't think Seattle people are rude, at all, I can totally see why SD people think so. (And for the record, by Seattle, I mean Seattle. I don't mean Issaquah/Bellevue/Bremerton/etc...)

When I was in Seattle, for the most part, I found people very reserved but polite. If they don't have anything to say, then they don't say anything. Simple enough. They usually won't come up and talk to you, but when you go up and talk to them (as long as you have something moderately intelligent to say) they'll usually be willing, and even slightly happy, I think, to reply.

As opposed to San Diego, where IMO many people speak just because they like to hear themselves talk. I have experienced more vapid conversations here per capita than in anywhere else I've been. At first I just liked the idea of talking to people, but I will say it got old pretty quickly.

This may sound odd, but I even thought people in Seattle seemed relieved when I talked to them...as in they were too shy to start the conversation themselves. I've also found people are generally willing to keep awkward conversations going for as long as they can; I'm thinking either they yearn for conversation because someone else probably won't talk to them or they're too polite to cut you off. Also, they were always willing to help me when I got lost.

Seattleites are also easily the most directly passive aggressive people you'll meet. (Granted I'm kind of like that too. :-\) If they don't like you, they won't make excuses, they won't tell you, they just won't say anything. I.e. in Seattle it would go something like:
Person A: We should hang out!
Person B: (silence)
As opposed to in San Diego where it would either go:
Person B: Okay! (And then never call person A or never answer the phone when person A calls)
Or:
Person B: No way, you're a loser!

So I know how that the typical Seattle response, to a San Diego, can seen rude. But to be fair, it's too hard to take the hint. So I guess it sounds like your neighbor doesn't like you. Sorry. :-(

Yes, it is hard to break through the shells of Seattle people -- but to be honest I've found that to be exactly the case too in SD. It's just that the shells are way different. In Seattle, you have to break through people being melancholy and reserved & their general emo-ness, whereas in SD I have found that you have to break through layers and layers of nonsense before you finally get to know someone. (And all too often I've found, frustratingly, that many people have nothing under their layers of nonsense...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego