Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Lol @ this thread.

Seattleites are also easily the most directly passive aggressive people you'll meet. So I know how that the typical Seattle response, to a San Diego, can seen rude. But to be fair, it's too hard to take the hint. So I guess it sounds like your neighbor doesn't like you. Sorry. :-(

Yes, it is hard to break through the shells of Seattle people -- but to be honest I've found that to be exactly the case too in SD. It's just that the shells are way different. In Seattle, you have to break through people being melancholy and reserved & their general emo-ness, whereas in SD I have found that you have to break through layers and layers of nonsense before you finally get to know someone. (And all too often I've found, frustratingly, that many people have nothing under their layers of nonsense...)
Isn't it possible that Veronika's neighbor is just an a** and wouldn't like anyone? I still think silence and being passive aggressive is rude. I've found many in Seattle to be uptight and awkward, having zero personality. We've met several whom we call "the church lady" like the old SNL skits. You can find interesting, cultured people in San Diego too but don't go looking for them in bars or at the beach. Join a wine and dinner group, travel group, or other interest such as cycling.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Lol @ this thread.

I have lived in both SD and Seattle. And I'm chuckling to myself because while I don't think Seattle people are rude, at all, I can totally see why SD people think so. (And for the record, by Seattle, I mean Seattle. I don't mean Issaquah/Bellevue/Bremerton/etc...)

When I was in Seattle, for the most part, I found people very reserved but polite. If they don't have anything to say, then they don't say anything. Simple enough. They usually won't come up and talk to you, but when you go up and talk to them (as long as you have something moderately intelligent to say) they'll usually be willing, and even slightly happy, I think, to reply.

As opposed to San Diego, where IMO many people speak just because they like to hear themselves talk. I have experienced more vapid conversations here per capita than in anywhere else I've been. At first I just liked the idea of talking to people, but I will say it got old pretty quickly.

This may sound odd, but I even thought people in Seattle seemed relieved when I talked to them...as in they were too shy to start the conversation themselves. I've also found people are generally willing to keep awkward conversations going for as long as they can; I'm thinking either they yearn for conversation because someone else probably won't talk to them or they're too polite to cut you off. Also, they were always willing to help me when I got lost.

Seattleites are also easily the most directly passive aggressive people you'll meet. (Granted I'm kind of like that too. :-\) If they don't like you, they won't make excuses, they won't tell you, they just won't say anything. I.e. in Seattle it would go something like:
Person A: We should hang out!
Person B: (silence)
As opposed to in San Diego where it would either go:
Person B: Okay! (And then never call person A or never answer the phone when person A calls)
Or:
Person B: No way, you're a loser!

So I know how that the typical Seattle response, to a San Diego, can seen rude. But to be fair, it's too hard to take the hint. So I guess it sounds like your neighbor doesn't like you. Sorry. :-(

Yes, it is hard to break through the shells of Seattle people -- but to be honest I've found that to be exactly the case too in SD. It's just that the shells are way different. In Seattle, you have to break through people being melancholy and reserved & their general emo-ness, whereas in SD I have found that you have to break through layers and layers of nonsense before you finally get to know someone. (And all too often I've found, frustratingly, that many people have nothing under their layers of nonsense...)
That is a pretty good assessment of things in both cities. You got a rep from me!

I can definitely relate to the SD scenario of "Yeah, we should hook up sometime" and never hearing from them again. I do know that it's a 2-way street, though. I guess it's why they call us "flaky".

Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I love how the Seattlites assume that since I'm from CA, I'm

a) Stupid
b) a Republican (how on earth does CA=Republican anyway?)
c) drive a hummer or an SUV
d) I've never lived anywhere else, so I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about

First off, I was in college at 15, and I now work as a software applications developer for a large defense contractor (I must be a real idiot, who couldn't possibly enjoy intellectual conversations or pursuits, since I'm from CA).

I have always voted democrat, and am one of the most liberal people I know (but I lived in San Diego, so I must have a Bush/Cheney sticker on my car, even though I see tons of them on cars in Seattle, I must just be imagining them).

I drive neither a Hummer or an SUV, though I see plenty of them on the roads up here (gee it must be all the transplants because people in Seattle would only ever drive hybrids)

I've lived in Orange County, LA County, San Diego County, and in the Bay Area of CA, I've lived in Indianapolis, IN, and Clifton, NJ (while working in Manhattan), but obviously I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to comparing different cities.

The problem with the people up here, is they're all so busy in their self-masturbatory, "I'm so much smarter than everyone else" euphoria, they don't realize what jackasses they are.

Really, the best thing about the Seattlites is that they tend to make my point for me about the attitudes of the people here.
You go on with your bad self!!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There are always good places to go and fun things to do in Seattle proper, things that just aren't available in San Diego - all you can do down there is go shopping, go drinking, or go to a crowded ethnic restaurant that is usually some variation of Mexican.

In Seattle, one might scamper around Downtown barking at strange people ..... or dwell moldering in a Capitol Hill kaffeehaus with an espresso drink strong enough to stand a spoon up, watching wrinkles form on the back of your hand and the hair at your temples gradually turning a distinguished-looking grey .... or handfeed the seagulls at Ivars until your fingers turn into a bloody pulp ..... or feed the feral bums in Chinatown ..... ride the escalator in the Downtown Library sticking your tongue out at the faces .... or poke a stick into the racoon lairs at Discovery Park until they growl in a thoroughly outraged way .... or stand shivering at Alki Beach checking out the cute chicks standing shivering bundled into their layers of purple Polartech with an outer shell of black-and-yellow REI Goretex.

Or jazz. There is always good jazz.

Try doing any of THAT in San Diego.
okay, this is just weird and I don't get how any of this is unique to Seattle and you can't do any where else. Also it seems like you would be doing this alone, by yourself rather than interacting with other people.

Plenty of weirdos in Downtown San Diego if you feel like "barking" at them.

Plenty of coffee houses to get some strong espressos.

pretty sure watching the wrinkles on the back of your hand or your hair turn gray can be done anywhere.

Plenty of Seagulls in San Diego to feed as well as "feral" homeless people.

You can ride up the escalator at Horton Plaza and stick you tongue out if that's your thing.

Not sure where that are raccoon lairs that you can harass but I see some coming out of the gutter on my street every now and then if you want to poke some sticks down there.

We can stand on a beach but won't be shivering and the cute girl will be in a bikini instead of her fat rolls all hid up in some huge jacket, so at least you know what you're getting and there won't be any "surprises".

Oh and there is always good jazz in pretty much most major metro areas; including a recent Jazz fest downtown.

Try going to a warm beach or try something called a "sunny" WINTER day in Seattle.

You didn't name one thing that is unique to Seattle that you can't do here or anywhere else.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM

490 posts, read 1,556,316 times
Now kids, it's supper time, so pick up your toys & come on home now. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego