Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times

Advertisements

Gov Tom MCcall was known for the slogan "Dont Californicate Oregon".I took it to mean,dont come here and expect California or try to change it ,(though he would turn in his grave to see the growth)There is a certain stereo type for most regions N-S-E-W that is universally disliked. There are many Californians that fit the description of the stereo-typical Californian(plastic -materiel,yadayada)..and many who do not.I would never care to hang with someone who would judge an entire state and its people with one swoop.That sort of narrow minded, closed thinking would bore me to tears. I also wouldnt be interested if I met one of those stereo types---bottom line is in America they can live and think any way they choose,and I can choose to ignore these people........live and let live

Old 03-09-2007, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,492 times
Default Californians > Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post

One of the 3 native San Diegans still left...but hopefully not for long.
Anyone wanna buy my house?

Kimmer...Sandpoint, Idaho, is just the place for you...beautiful lake, ski mountain (Schweitzer), forests...and damn cold winters. The political leanings are all over the map...just like your family.

Wanna swap your house for mine?

Kap

Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 PM

24 posts, read 105,006 times
I grew up in a small town in AZ and we often heard the adults complaining about "the Californians" moving in, driving up the prices, being bad drivers, etc. That mentality didn't seem to stick with my generation though (just turned 30). I have lived in Draper, UT for the past two years and it's a great place for families. I haven't heard ANYONE be negative about people from California. Be warned though. It takes a while to acclimate when you move from a warm location. From my experience, Arizona or Utah would fit what you're looking for.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
I am a California native, but I can honestly say that the hatred for Caifornians is well deserved. The stereotypical Californian, plastic, materialistic, shallow etc. is VERY accurate for most people from Southern California. People down here really do play into that stereotype, they get indocrinated into it and don't see it in themselves because the whole aea is so inundated with that vibe. They think it's normal to be like that, but to the outsider they are acting very inconsiderate and pompous.

Southern Californians all put on lame conformist uniforms. Like the skater flatbill hat look, or the good ol' inconsiderate luxery car driving California yuppie, or the glamorous made-up women who act like they're god's gift to man and the world, just because they have a facelift, fake breasts and a stylish blouse. Or the Hollister wearing, hair gelled surfer/playboy guys who are possibly the biggest tools on the Earth. There's lots of different masks and uniforms people wear around here. It's truely rare to find anyone who isn't wearing a mask. And if you aren't conforming to one of these little styles and acting fake, you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Northern Californians tend to be a lot cooler though, many of them are more similar to Oregonians since the climate and lifestyle is much more similar. In Northern California, individuality and originality is appreciated more, similar to Oregon. But in So-Cal it's all about conformity and competition.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM

181 posts, read 892,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonewithCali View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. We are actually the most non-Californians out here it seems. We are Republican, we aren't wealthy AT ALL, not flashy, and my husband is a blue-collar NRA type guy. We are conservative. Still, I want a place with good schools for my kids. I believe a good education is key to opening doors of choices when one grows up.....We are leaving Cali because of the liberalism, overcrowding, poors schools, etc........
your family sounds a lot like mine. And actually I think there are a lot of people like us in SD, if you know where to look. As for moving to another state...my parents moved us to washington state for the same reasons you want to move. We ended up moving back to SD in less than 3 years. Some people were a little hostile because we were californians, but it wasn't that bad. But you know, the people there had other kinds of "issues" I guess you would call it. They were not very open to new things, not because they went against any principle but simply because they were new. At that time many were not very educationally minded either, but that may be diff. now.

My sis in Idaho says people are just not very open-minded to things they aren't familiar with.

My cousin lives in AZ, she moved away from LA for the same reasons also. Now she doesnt really like it, and says they have just as many problems. They are thinking about moving again.

I have many relatives in Utah, and it seems like in many parts of Utah you are looked down upon, not because you are poorer, or conservative or what not but because you dont have at least a masters degree and your kids cant play 3 musical instruments and speak a second language. lol.

When I lived in Hawaii, many people didnt like mainlanders or "Haulies", (cant spell)

ok my point here is not to bash on other states. Or on people that are different, but to simply show that wherever you go you are going to encounter problems. If it isnt one thing...it is something else. You need to be prepared to give and take. No place is perfect but I hope you find what you are looking for. (hey if you do find a perfect place, let us know!) Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 AM

4 posts, read 12,008 times
Default I agree with Malibu

I am a native Californian. I grew up in northern CA, Marin County. I went to school in Chico, CA. I lived in Sacramento, and now I live in San Diego. Been here for 15 years. I guess it is a conservative area, but I never feel it. I am a gay somewhat Libertarian myself, but most people do not care. Plus, I never feel that whole NorCal/Soc/Cal dispute. It never happens. Who cares? If you asked any of my Nor Cal friends, or So/Cal friends, they would look at you like what the hell ya talking about? Maybe Political wonks, but not us normal folk.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM

154 posts, read 910,311 times
I am born and raised in CA, and when I lived in the midwest (Iowa) I felt anything but welcomed. They made rude comments about "you California people..." and made me feel horrible about myself. It was kind of funny because most of the people who had such strong negative opinions about CA, had never even been there! So what exactly were their opinions based upon? I don't know if it's society that made them that way, or the small town they came from, who knows. I felt so uncomfortable that I had to move back to northern California! I guess I took their advice, "If you don't like it here, why don't you leave." Ok, I will. And to add to the story, my husband who is from Iowa, is living in northern CA with me, and NO ONE here has made any comments about where he is from. They say, "That's cool, were you near Chicago, I've always liked Chicago..." It's such a different atmosphere here, people are not judgemental and territorial!!

Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
I am born and raised in CA, and when I lived in the midwest (Iowa) I felt anything but welcomed. They made rude comments about "you California people..." and made me feel horrible about myself. It was kind of funny because most of the people who had such strong negative opinions about CA, had never even been there! So what exactly were their opinions based upon? I don't know if it's society that made them that way, or the small town they came from, who knows. I felt so uncomfortable that I had to move back to northern California! I guess I took their advice, "If you don't like it here, why don't you leave." Ok, I will. And to add to the story, my husband who is from Iowa, is living in northern CA with me, and NO ONE here has made any comments about where he is from. They say, "That's cool, were you near Chicago, I've always liked Chicago..." It's such a different atmosphere here, people are not judgemental and territorial!!
I think people who've never been to California base their opinions of it solely on what they see in the movies and on TV.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, though, when people here find out I'm from Texas I get asked "aren't you glad you left there? it's so hot and dusty!" I've even had people ask me if I had a horse! WTF?! I left because I wanted to try something new and different, not because I hated it! Also, while some parts of Texas are hot and dusty, the ENTIRE state isn't a dust bowl, for heaven's sake! Also, I lived in San Antonio, not some ranch or farm. Where the f*ck am I going to keep a horse? Of course, the people who make these remarks, much as your Iowans, have NEVER set foot in Texas! They get their perception from old Western movies. *lol* Ignorance runs rampant throughout the U.S., California included.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
I LOVE Californians......they bring soooo much money to Las Vegas and they never ask to take any home......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego