Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM

144 posts, read 935,531 times

Advertisements

There was an article a while back in the Union Tribune about San Diegans that leave for other states. Some couldn't handle it. They followed this one family who moved to Montana (!) and then after a year or so, moved back. They said their Escalade was getting damaged by their roads and the locals laughed in the ir face. SoCal really is a bubble.

SoCal gets a bad rep as a rampant drug using, ostentatious, un-educated, materalistic, fake, strange, and "Anti-American" society. Well, all of the above are true. Whenever Paris and her partner in crime Britney go out for another night of coked up, pill popping, stoned and drunk club hopping, SoCal's rep goes down another notch. Whenever I tell people that I'm from San Diego, they first say something on how nice it is, but their demanor changes. I've noticed it everywhere except "sister societies" (Palm Beach, Greenwich and other such enclaves)

Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM

76 posts, read 283,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonewithCali View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. We are actually the most non-Californians out here it seems. We are Republican, we aren't wealthy AT ALL, not flashy, and my husband is a blue-collar NRA type guy. We are conservative. Still, I want a place with good schools for my kids. I believe a good education is key to opening doors of choices when one grows up.....We are leaving Cali because of the liberalism, overcrowding, poors schools, etc........
Wow we are just like you!!! I thought we were the only ones lol We are planning to leave cali for the same exact reasons. We are looking at southern states --gee what are we thinking of ha lol

Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
Hi Donewithcali!
I am a Colorado native and have not heard a lot of badmouthing about californians- Littleton and fort collins are both great places, houses are extremely affordable compared to san diego and they are suburbs, so you can get to downtown denver in 25 mins from littleton, and an hour from fort collins. Fort collins was ranked #1 city in the country to live in money magazine recently, and I agree! The only problem with fort collins is that it is a family town meets college town, so if you do not want to live in a party neighborhood I would try to stay a few miles away from CSU. Also do not forget that it snows in colorado! Dress warm!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,681 times
I can think of one Californian I don't like, but I never thought of it as a geography issue, just that he's an idiot. LOL

Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
Malibu is right, who cares what people think of you being from CA. The mere fact this concerns people is alarming to me. I grew up in Washington D.C, then moved to SoCal for 15 years and am now in Texas.....talk about change.

I'm just a normal guy and in each place I've assimilated and made great life long friends and shared in experiences I'll cherish for the rest of my life. Sure, it sucks that my nice car gets beat up by the never ending road construction and harsh weather of TX, but if I complained to Texans about this, they say 'that sucks', the same way someone from CA would.....Texans have nice cars as well and they don't want to see their car get ruined. If they tease me about it, I laugh. I get teased for not owning a real coat - "boy, you better get you a coat". I laugh.

The whole idea that everyone views themselves as so open minded, yet are actually insular in in their thinking is almost tragically ironic.

Sure, if you change states, nobody is going to give you preferential treatment because your from CA, but most people aren't going to default to hating you unless you show up and start putting down everything about the place they call home - which in their defense is what alot of Californians tend to do when they move.

And if it bothers you that someone makes fun of you for eating sushi or putting sprouts/avocado on your sandwich, your way too sensitive and probably need to rethink moving, especially if you have children because this sense of insecurity will propagate to them as well.

Last edited by socketz; 01-13-2007 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
"SoCal gets a bad rep as a rampant drug using, ostentatious, un-educated, materialistic, fake, strange, and "Anti-American" society. Well, all of the above are true. Whenever Paris and her partner in crime Britney go out for another night of coked up, pill popping, stoned and drunk club hopping, SoCal's rep goes down another notch. "

This is not directed at you....

But California contributes 13% to the nations GDP, has some of the most agriculturally rich land on the planet, is home to more military bases than any other state and serves as the primary interface to the Pacific Rim, which is the leading manufacturing arm of the innovative biotech/communications products that get designed in the thousands of high-tech Californian companies. California is also somewhat balanced politically with the southern portion being more conservative and the northern portion being more liberal.

If anyone equates Hollywood to CA, they perhaps are uneducated themselves.

People in CA make fun of Hollywood.

Part of being educated is knowing how to view the world as a large system of complex interactions. I believe some folks think academic = educated, but since their view of the overall system are so isolated, they never get beyond 'booksmart', which leads to these tarnished stereotypes.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,280 times
we moved to Monument,CO and love it. Been here almost 3 years and never regreted moving out San Marcos.
Paul

Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,135 times
Default I don't.

I once read this essay called "Notes from a Native Daughter" by Joan Didion. She has such a rep as an "Eastern Establishment" writer that a lot of people take her for an easterner. Actually, she's from Sacramento.

It points out that you haven't really visited California if you have only been to SF, LA, or San Diego. I've spent a bunch of time in the Valley towns, like Modesto, and Bakersfield, and I met some of the nicest, most down to earth people I ever have in my life.

I'm a little less enthused by old money San Franciscans who think their ____
smells like vanilla ice cream, cause they're (drum roll) SAN FRANCISCANS.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Alot of people think that people in California are a bunch of selfish spiteful vindictive individuals. At least i do.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Yeah, but cottonwood .... a lot of people say the same sort of things about Mormons. Stereotypes, huh? I guess it's just human nature to come up with stereotypes, some of them are fairly accurate and some of them are really stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego