Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Florida to San Diego area, single male, looking for inexpensive, clean, safe home and neighborhood in beach community, areas to avoid and best areas to live

Old 02-18-2007, 02:24 AM

102 posts, read 236,617 times

Advertisements

Well, after taking the time to read some of the informative stuff on this board I'd thought I'd also take the time to chime in with a relocation thread of my own.

I'm currently in the process of relocating from South Florida, I know a long way from what use to be home. Anyway, after doing quite a bit of research I'm still unsure about a few things, so hopefully I can get some definitive answers from the members on this board.

As far as best places to live and what areas to avoid, I've heard the general consensus from people is to stay to the north and to the west and avoid the south and the east. So basically stay west of 805 and north of 94 and for the most part you should be ok with the exception of some dodgy parts of certain neighborhoods here and there. <- Is this for the most part true or am I way off? Also, are all parts to the east of 805 bad? What about areas like La Mesa? I've heard City Heights and El Cajon is really bad. Is it just that boulevard or the whole area known as El Cajon?

As far as what areas I'd like to relocate to, well I'd really like to stay in one of the beach communities or close by to one, preferably PB but my job will be in the Hillcrest area, Mercy Hospital to be exact. I've heard that there are some nice close surrounding neighborhoods in that area like Mission Hills, University Heights, Balboa Park, North Park and Normal Heights <-Although these last two I heard can be a bit doggy in certain areas. Which one of these areas would be my best bet as far as finding something clean, safe and inexpensive?

Like I mentioned before, I'd really like to live on the beach because that's the type of environment that I'm moving from but I won't have a car at first and I've heard public transport isn't that great in SD, especially out in the beach communities. I've heard a 15 minute drive from PB to Hillcrest by car can turn into an hour ride by bus. Is this true?

Background on myself that might be helpful, I'm a 29 single hetero male, so Hillcrest while close to my job might not be my best bet.

Anyways, any help or info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 04:38 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
What you've read is pretty much true about where to steer clear of and where to try to find a place to live.

El Cajon Blvd. runs from Hillcrest all the way east to El Cajon. People will often refer to areas as being "south of El Cajon Blvd", or north of it. Depending on which stretch you're talking about, it can make a difference in the quality &/or safety of an area.

Bus service is terrible here, and most people who can afford it avoid it like the plague. (Hence all the cars on the road!). The trolley might be a good option for you. I don't know exactly where the trolley stops are, but if you lived along or near the trolley line, you might be able to get to work that way. Maybe someone with more experience taking the trolley could expand on that.

You might check out Point Loma. I know I've whined about it in the past, but some people seem to love it there. It has the beach and the bay, and it's freeway close to Hillcrest. So, you'll still get hellish traffic but not too long of a commute : )

La Mesa is OK, too. No beach and possibly boring for a single guy, but it's probably cheaper than Point Loma.

Hillcrest isn't "all gays" if this is what you're worried about, and is very walkable. Good thing given the traffic through there. Lots to do and many entertaining people to see there. This really might be your best option at first if you can't get a car right away. Many places in San Diego are so spread out that you can't quickly or easily get groceries, for instance, unless you drive.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Looks like you've done your homework, Moondogger! Your assessments seem pretty accurate and Kimmer also provided some good stuff.

If you are going to work at Mercy, I'd forgo living in the beach area and choose to live near the hospital. Hillcrest, Banker's Hill, Mission Hills and downtown would work well for a single guy. As Kimmer said, Hillcrest isn't as exclusively gay as it use to be. Way more heteros are moving into the area.

Downtown is a straight shot by bus less than 3 miles away, via Banker's Hill and South Mission Hills. All of these areas are safe, except the eastern edge of downtown. The best thing is the ferry to Coronado that allows bikes so you can actually bike to the beach from your home. I do it a few times a year when I'm looking for some exercise.

Be aware that the water temps in SoCal much colder than they are in Florida.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Given that you won't have a car at first, I would suggest living along the bus lines that travel along El Cajon Blvd/Washington St. If you don't need to do a bus transfer to get where you're going the bus is fine. That's why the beach communities are not realistic for you until later. The trolley lines will never work for you as they don't run through the Midcity area near the hospital. Taking the bus, you'd probably have to walk a few blocks in the brutal San Diego weather to get to the hospital, but I think you'd survive.

Specifically, I'd like to recommend University Heights which is a nice little neighborhood that is tucked in north of Washington Street, and on either side of Park Blvd. It's much quieter than, and should be a smidge less expensive than living in Hillcrest itself. Hillcrest has two hospitals and lots of medical types in the area that jack up the rents, and create terrible parking problems. In University Heights, you can take the bus, or even walk/bike/skateboard/rollerskate to the hospital on days when you have the time. Later, when you get a car and really begin to know the neighborhoods you can relocate where the spirit moves you.

Oh, and when you get here and see the dodgy areas of North Park and Normal Heights, and compare them to Miami, you'll probably laugh and think we're all a bunch of wimps.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Oh, and when you get here and see the dodgy areas of North Park and Normal Heights, and compare them to Miami, you'll probably laugh and think we're all a bunch of wimps.
It's completly true... dodgy in San Diego means "don't be standing on the corner at 1AM with a shaved head and a Chargers jersey on". For about everyone else... it's fine.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 AM

Wow! I can't believe I forgot to thank you guys for all the advice. Well better late than never I suppose and as you can imagine I've been very busy relocating myself. So anyway, thanks to everyone who responded.

So, I've been here in SD for about 2 months now. Still pretty brand new but already willing to share my experiences and give any advice that I have.

One thing that I think everyone that's relocating should be aware of which honestly I wasn't really prepared for was the amount of competition that there is in the rental market down here. It makes obvious sense though, most people can't afford to buy so they rent. Be prepared to look at an apartment with like 5 other prospective tenants. This didn't happen to me all the time but it did happen often and this is supposed to be the off-season prior to summer so be forewarned.

Another thing to note is that over here all the rentals are controlled by property managers not real estate agents which is very different from South Florida. The real estate agents here don't touch rentals at all. These property managers are a real pain to deal with because unlike real estate agents they don't really work with you at all. They could care less whether you end up renting the place or not because again due to the large amount of people renting they know they will most likely be able to rent it out to someone else who comes along. Also, they only work 9-5 and no weekends. The key is obviously to find and deal with the owner directly but that's very hard to find around here, at least for me it was and believe me I looked. Another thing to keep in mind is the lack of negotiation again due to the competition. The prices here are pretty much set in stone. They will not back down from what's advertised by a single penny.

Btw, one property management company that you should try and avoid at all cost is Torrey Pines. They are horrible and the general consensus from most people here is that they are the worst when it comes to managing and maintaining properties, so again be forewarned.

Despite what some people might say, you can find affordable rents here, just like with everything you have to know where to look is all. Hopefully this advice might help someone in being a bit better prepared than I was. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:30 PM

59 posts, read 428,796 times
Where did you end up landing?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 PM

Like most people who newly relocate to the area I ended up in PB, at least for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego