Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 20,862 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a general idea of what Fallbrook is like? We have two small children and are relocating from Rhode Island. Also curious to know how that area compares to Carlsbad (cost of living, schools) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 09:08 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trholch View Post
Can anyone give me a general idea of what Fallbrook is like? We have two small children and are relocating from Rhode Island. Also curious to know how that area compares to Carlsbad (cost of living, schools) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Fallbrook is more generally more rural than Carlsbad. Many properties have large lots although there are smaller plots close to the town center. Most people think of acreage and custom homes, but there are some tracts as well as some older 50's & 60's era starters.

Home prices range from 400k for an unrenovated 1200sf 2/1 ranch on a quarter acre to 1M+ for a custom home on acreage. Most of the larger, nicer houses in Fallbrook seem to be in the high 5 to mid 600k range.

Compared to Carlsbad it would be a lot cheaper, bit hotter, a lot less dense, with a lot less condos and apartments, and pretty much zero amenities. Dinner at a nice restaurant is going to involve a 30-minute drive to coastal SD. Compared to Rhode Island.. it's going to seem like living on Mars. :-)

It is isolated from the west by Camp Pendleton and is only accessible from the 15 corridor, which means nightmarish traffic at nearly all times. It is well-known as a conservative stronghold, perhaps a little infamous because KKK leader Tom Metzger lived there for years. Beware of 'bored teenager syndrome', because there is literally nothing for young people to do, unless you are into horses or build a skateboard ramp on your property.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
Since you have school age kids, if I were you I'd stay in the following areas:

Coastal: Carlsbad (watch for the sketchy areas near the 78), La Costal, Carmel Valley - San Dieguito schools

Inland: Rancho Bernardo (Zips 92127 and 92128) - Poway schools

I'd definitely stay away from Fallbrook. Not a bad place by any means, but not nearly as nice as the others mentioned. Fallbrook is also an evil commute in the morning if you need to go south on the 15. Don't let the miles fool you when you google a map. That 35 or so miles to San Diego will easily take an hour (often more). The 15 South is a parking lot in the morning from 3 miles north of the 78 exit all the way down to Via Rancho in Escondido.

If you want to monitor this yourself, use this link:
http://www.sigalert.com/speeds.asp?R...oad=15%20South

Traffic starts backing up around 5:30am.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 AM

Smile About that commute

Thanks for the information -

My husband would be working in Oceanside. Is that any better in terms of a commute from Fallbrook?

Does anyone know anything about the charter school (The New School) in Fallbrook?

Sounds like Carlsbad is probably a good first place to look with a better commute and more amenities.

I appreciate the feedback - thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
Fallbrook is actually very doable if you work in Oceanside.

Honestly though, you may be better off just moving north on the 15 up to Temecula/Murietta (12 miles north?). Good schools, low crime, great shopping. Little bit longer commute.

But if you can afford it, you'll love Carlsbad and La Costa - just pricey.

Rancho Bernardo to Oceanside is also a decent commute. Many of my nieghbors are marines and work at the base in Oceanside.

If you want to live in Oceanside, there are a 'few' nice areas there.

Look on Realtor.com and find "Rancho De Oro" and "Fire Mountain" properties in your price range......when I worked in Orange County, I had researched this area as a option because Oceanside is so centrally located between San Diego and Orange County. "Rancho De Oro" and "Fire Mountain" are the best areas in OC in my opinion. Rancho De Oro actually borders Fallbrook on the 74.

You might might to look at Shadowridge in Vista as well.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
I have lived in the San Diego county area for 31 years-my mom and dad graduated from Fallbrook- not a bad place but the 15 is a commute if you are heading to Oceanside. I also lived in Carlsbad-very nice but also very expensive. I will say San Marcos is nice and if you like the country then Ramona is also very nice. Stay away from Oceanside-as far as to live. Good luck

Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,318 times
Default In agreement w/Sassberto & Socketz

Carlsbad schools are better than Fallbrook. Lots of new homes in the "Bressi Ranch" and La Costa Greens/Oaks areas East of El Camino Real and South of Palomar Airport Rd. You may also want to look into Northeastern Oceanside, along and North of hwy 76 towards Bonsall. Lots of new subdivisions going in; changing from an agricultural area to housing. Oceanside is cleaning up its act; lots of redevelopment near the coast, with some $1 million price tags. Who thought we'd ever see that? I would not consider San Marcos myself; I work there, and the traffic is AWFUL! Even at 6:45 a.m. it can be bumper to bumper on the 78 and on San Marcos Blvd. Be careful in Vista as well; gang problems in areas. Hope that helps. I live on the I-15 corridor and would not recommend it for someone working in Oceanside, unless a 45 minute commute doesn't make you cranky!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Carlsbad housing options

Hi,
Just got back from a quick trip to SD to check out the area. Shocked at how developed it all is - had trouble finding options to the new house on the postage stamp lot. I liked Carlsbad but wanted to try and find an older neighborhood - maybe an older ranch that has been updated?? Stumbled upon a small area called Spinnaker Hill that was more along the lines of what would fit with us. Any ideas of similar neighborhoods? I know it is expensive and we just aren't going to get the land in SD that we have now, and I am okay with that. I just want something with a little older feel.
Also wondering about Encinitas - I liked that area a lot. Any suggestions as to neighborhoods that aren't cookie cutter there?
The weather was gorgeous and from my experience, the people a lot more friendly than I've experienced in the Northeast, so I think it would be a good move it's just a matter of finding the right area. Any suggestions would be great - especially about how Carlsbad and Encinitas differ.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:36 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trholch View Post
I just want something with a little older feel.
Also wondering about Encinitas - I liked that area a lot. Any suggestions as to neighborhoods that aren't cookie cutter there?
Ahh a man after my own heart. I'm an east coaster too and the whole big-box-house thing is not my taste.

Anyway, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar and La Jolla has many great older homes, probably even some pre-war cottages, but they will be uber-pricey, potentially in the million+ for a small house. Encinitas is a great place - a real California Beach City.

Most of the 40's-60's california ranchers are located within city limits (from Clairemont south all the way to Chula Vista and East to the mountains) or near the coast. In coastal north county many have been torn down and replaced with big-ass modern monstrosities. In the Inland North county suburb zone you have pretty much unbroken gated tract-home zones from Oceanside to Poway to RB to Escondido to Scripps Ranch. There are pockets of older houses, Socketz can probably help you find out exactly where they are.

General rule of thumb is that development is more recent as you move north and inland and older as you move south and towards the coast.

My dream house is a 1920's spanish revival in Mission Hills, but I had to settle for a 1946 starter ranch, so is life!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Thanks

Sassberto,

Thanks for the information - it has really helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego