Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times

Advertisements

there definitely aren't as many blondes in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My experience is that most east coasters either:

- hate it but stay 2 years because the only thing they liked was the weather
- love it at first, 6 months later realize they hate it, and then stay 2 years before realizing the only thing they liked was the weather
- love it and stay forever, but secretly, deep down, realize the the only thing they like is the weather
LOL!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:28 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My experience is that most east coasters either:

- hate it but stay 2 years because the only thing they liked was the weather
- love it at first, 6 months later realize they hate it, and then stay 2 years before realizing the only thing they liked was the weather
- love it and stay forever, but secretly, deep down, realize the the only thing they like is the weather
well,i was born and raised in/around boston,all of my family is from MA/boston.
I have lived in SD for 8 years now and SFO for two years,plus a few years each in the rocky mountain states.

I will say that it is comparing apples and oranges,and I love CA for many things. [including the weather.] Although,I already knew from the beginning that all I really loved about SD was the weather. Spouse was from here and family and job kept us here.

But northern CA in a heartbeat,would be my home [sonoma/marin] over boston [which i also love].
I think it's silly when people compare two completely different cities/locations. why???

Boston is very steeped in tradition,which is why many people love it or hate it.
Many people from the area remain in the area,which adds to it's regional flavor.
Again,why some people love it or hate it.

I find SD infinitely friendlier than boston,though. NE'ers are much more reserved.

However,to OP: I have found that as SD has grown,in the last several years especially,it is just that much more urban and not as friendly,compared to how it used to be.

and yes,you will find a 'rim' culture out here-and we also have an intersting cholla demographic that you dont readily find in boston in the same regard.

I met my husband in SD,and we are raising our children here for now. My kids love boston and going back east,but also love san diego and call this home. It's possible to love two very different places equally,but for different reasons.(:
I just love kids' perspectives on things,don't you?

My husband works with an entire dept of MA transplants,and yes,most go home w/in a couple of years-after coming out to party and live the so cal life for awhile...it's cool. different strokes.

Well,if you were in PB,then aargh. No bueno.
Gotta check out other areas of the city...but it is a city,and people are not falling over themselves to talk to a tourist who is here fo ra week-people are living their lives-same as they would be in boston.
Unless you go to a tourist spot in boston,noone pays you any mind,really.

So,I'm not sure how you can compare,as you have never been a tourist in boston,right?

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
I am from Boston I've been here for 2.5 years and think it's pretty cool.

But I started to get really sick of a lot of things in Boston and am happy I left. I don't know how long I'll stay in San Diego, but being able to go outside during the winter is pretty amazing. It's not better or worse, just different.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
No offense, but what is up with so many people moving to SD from Boston? Why not LA or other parts of Cal?

I think what many East Coasters need to understand is that California is nothing like the Eastern sea board. One has to realize that the cities over there are much older, much more developed (urban) than here and people are more embedded in there communities on the East Coast compared to the CA. That's why nobody takes California so seriously because so many people come to this state from from somewhere else, suck up the lifestyle and sunshine for a time being, then leave to go back home eventually because they complain that SD is not like home (or they can't afford it anymore), well don't expect it to be. I think sometimes that CA should be it's own country, because it is so different from anywhere else in the US. We have all the natural beauty that anyone could ask for.

When people say that SD does not have history, I can't agree to that statement. SD has a lot of history, it's just so scattered around, you have to find it. Balboa Park is only one area of many places that make up SD historic presence. Boston is very historic in an "American History Way". San Diego is historic in a "Spanish" and "Mexican" history way. Both are 2 very different perspectives in terms of culture and how the land was founded.

Even though SD has a lot of Spanish influence, it doesn't have a whole lot of Mexican influence though which is strange since Mexico is so close.

The city itself was heavily populated and developed by White people in the early days, and not by the Spaniards. The Missions are one example of what the Spaniards left behind, but you would think they would of done more considering they basically founded San Diego as well Cabrillo.

So SD has history, but I think because it's in the state of California, on the West Coast sorta of being known as the state that's not as American, not being part of the original 13 colonies is a huge factor on why history here has always been overlooked if not forgotten.

I'm sure Boston has richer history, but give SD some credit too. If your coming to SD from somewhere else in the US and not the East Coast, you'll probably think differently of San Diego. You might feel that this city is the coolest place on earth with a lot things to do. Sadly it's not, as a native San Diegan, I can tell you right now that LA is so much better than SD is almost every way. From the food, to it's culture, things to do, to the mass size of both cities, LA hands down is the coolest city in California even with it's multitude of problems.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
I think part of the "attitude" is the city gets a lot of tourists so people just kind of get numb to that sort of stuff over time. Once people know you live here and are a local then they really open up to you though a lot of the people here are originally from some where else and they do bring some of their cultural traits here (both good and bad).

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLLL View Post
i will say that PB area made me wanna kill people. kids are ****ing retarded.
See, there is your problem. You can't hang out with drunk and high college kids and think that's what the whole place is about. Each neighborhood/area in the region has its own particular feel and culture ranging from Yuppyville, to hick, to prep schoolish, to college party, to suburban soccer momville, to working class. The neighborhood or area is absolutely key to finding the atmosphere you want.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLLL View Post
WOW. different world. the people, city, everything. i went to SD for a job interview and was pretty confident i was going to make the move if i got the job. what a surprise.

i've never felt like such an outcast in my life. from comments about my accent to people thinking it was the coolest thing it the world that i was from boston, people hating me based on only the fact that i was from boston, and the differences in... everything.

i couldnt help but notice that the majority of people in SD seemed so materialistic. it was rare that a vehicle didnt have wheels on it. now, i understand that the weather is nice all year and in Boston.... hah. but seriously? what is with that ****. i'd see minivans driving around on wheels that could have cost more than the damn car they're on.

i also expected the people to be a bit more friendly. this was not the case. and yes, i'm a very laid back person who will initiate conversation with most people. i was often told to 'slow down' or 'chill out' while waiting in line. i know CA is known for more of a laid back/slower paced crowd and i thought i'd love this. in reality it just made me angry. i imagine this is something i'd adjust to overtime, though.

after 1 week of SD i was ready to go home and eat some chowdah while watching the wicked awesome sawx. i did end up receiving an offer from Wells Fargo and turned it down without hesitation. Boston, you're my home.

I think you experienced some of what I have experienced on the West Coast. It is the West Coast whether its SD or up here in Portland. Its a different vibe out here some good some not so good. Its just different I won't say its better or worse its just different than what you and I are use to back in Mass.

Im proud of you to know what your likes and dislikes are. Your insticts told you SD was not your kind of place and even though your got the job you turned it down. Good for you. You could have made the move and then regretted it and couldn't just move back home. I did make the move to the West Coast and I don't care for Portland. I found one cannot just pick up and leave in this type of day and age we have now, so Im here for awhile. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego