Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 35,297 times

Advertisements

I keep reading that the cost of living is high in SD. Im in the process of negotiating a salary. What would be a good salary for a single, young professional renting a condo/house/apartment solo. Also the job is in Rancho Santa Fe, where do you recommend to live? How is the lifestyle in SD, a lot to do for young professionals?? Compared to NYC or Miami, is there much to do and experience? I love cultural events (festivals, fairs, conferences, etc) is there much of that? How about exploring nature? Are there a lot of things to do outdoors??

Thanks Everyone in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times
I am making just a bit more than 60k and it's my wife and myself and we are living confortably in a 2 bedroom/ 1bath condo in mission valley. So I would think a single person getting 60k would definately be enough to live confortably in SD.

We also go out often, but like most people we do watch our spending, but only because we are saving to purchase a home. We actually do save quite a bit each month but we do something fun every weekend (eating out, live theater, movies etc. Plus tons of fun free stuff to do too)

What I have found in my short time in SD is that you can live pretty much any type of lfestyle in SD. If you are on the go go go, or just laid back or a clubber or enjoy a night at the opera, there is something for absolutely everyone in this city. There are tons of thingsto do and lots of cultural events going on ... all you have to do is google "Things to do in San Diego" and you'll see tons of things.

We hike every weekend both within the city and outside the city (the area around Julian is great for hiking and being one with nature).

One good resource we have found to find out different things happening around town from festivals, events, city profiles and outdoor activities is a magazine called The Reader. You can pick up a new copy every Wednesday and their website is:

San Diego Reader | San Diego's Guide to local events, music, restaurants, news and more!

If you ignore the feature stories and comics and all the ads in the paper, you'll find very good information in there.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
$200K salary should be enough.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
I am making just a bit more than 60k and it's my wife and myself and we are living confortably in a 2 bedroom/ 1bath condo in mission valley. So I would think a single person getting 60k would definately be enough to live confortably in SD.

We also go out often, but like most people we do watch our spending, but only because we are saving to purchase a home. We actually do save quite a bit each month but we do something fun every weekend (eating out, live theater, movies etc. Plus tons of fun free stuff to do too)

What I have found in my short time in SD is that you can live pretty much any type of lfestyle in SD. If you are on the go go go, or just laid back or a clubber or enjoy a night at the opera, there is something for absolutely everyone in this city. There are tons of thingsto do and lots of cultural events going on ... all you have to do is google "Things to do in San Diego" and you'll see tons of things.

We hike every weekend both within the city and outside the city (the area around Julian is great for hiking and being one with nature).

One good resource we have found to find out different things happening around town from festivals, events, city profiles and outdoor activities is a magazine called The Reader. You can pick up a new copy every Wednesday and their website is:

San Diego Reader | San Diego's Guide to local events, music, restaurants, news and more!

If you ignore the feature stories and comics and all the ads in the paper, you'll find very good information in there.
I agree with this post.
Rancho SF is pricey, to be sure, but carmel valley is just next door; you can rent a one bedroom here for 1300-1400 and that would be the resort style amenities, and a few miles from the beach. And walking distance from health store, movies, etc.
Ditto (price range) for Solana Beach, Encinitas and Del Mar, all of which are coastal and close to RSF.

All are prob. 30 min from downtown and more urban artsy parts of central SD, for dining, etc. Though Encinitias, Del Mar and SB all have a fine selection of restaurants and shops. You can find anything you need there, really. And encinitas and SB have very active art communities, festivals, etc. Clubs are all downtown, for the most part, with a few in other places. SD is certainly not as hoppin' as Miami or NYC, by a long shot. It's a laid back so cal beach town, that has grown alot in recent years. It's still really laid back. But, you can drive to Tijuana in 30 min. from central SD, and party there or Rosarito. And LA is a mere 2 hrs. Both easy to do for a day or a weekend. And SFO is a short one hour flight from SD.

Nature's easy in SD. Carmel Valley is 3 miles from TP state reserve, with great hiking, including down the cliffs and onto the beach itself. Mission Gorge and Tecalote canyon are w/in SD city, as well. As mentioned, Julian is an hour, tops. And Alpine is half way to Julian. The desert (anza borrego state park is about 90 min.) and palomar mountain are about an hour away each. Plenty of other in town/county hiking options, as well...

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-26-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
I am making just a bit more than 60k...

You didn't mention if your wife was working or is your income the only one? I'd find it extremely hard to support myself and a wife, live in a nice condo in MV and save up for a home, while also going out on the weekends, on a salary of $60k. Either you have dual income, or you're really good with your budget.

Also, the best part of The Reader is the cover story!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 AM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
You didn't mention if your wife was working or is your income the only one? I'd find it extremely hard to support myself and a wife, live in a nice condo in MV and save up for a home, while also going out on the weekends, on a salary of $60k. Either you have dual income, or you're really good with your budget.

Also, the best part of The Reader is the cover story!
I am on a working visa here in the US, and as a result my wife is unable to work unless we get a greencard. So it is only my income that we are living on. Our rent is $1220/month for our 2bd condo which I think is a steal in MV .... and yes, I have to admit that I may be a bit better at budgeting my expenses then the average person. However, like I said, I don't sit at home and do nothing in my free time, I also enjoy life as much as possible considering I'm in a great city to enjoy life in.

What I have found though, is that if you are married, you will get certain tax credits which you will not get if you are single. I did the calculations and if I were single on my current salary, I would be making about $400 less a month in take home pay according to the income tax credits here in California and the US. So that does help out significantly.

As for the cover stories in the reader ... well .. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 35,297 times
Default taxes

Thank you for all your information.

This bring up another good point which I had not considered, TAXES! I didn't realize the tax difference after calculating them recently. Realisticallyl if I made $65,000/yr, how much with I be making after taxes in California for a single person with no dependents.

This should probably have been my original question. This will probably determine best how I need to negotiate my salary.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 37,439 times
paycheckcalculator on line is a great site to calculate your take home income. I'm moving there end of April from Cocoa Beach and will be making $62400 salary. But I still own a home in Florida so it will be tough for me. My rent is limited to $900 everything paid. I will be working Rancho Bernardo off Innovation drive for the Govt. Electronics Inspector. I found some good places in Oceanside that I will be looking at once I'm there. 1/2 hour drive to work so won't be too bad. Good Luck!!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Your drive from Oceanside to Rancho Bernardo won't be 1/2 hour. You will be locked up in the worst area for traffic in San Diego, the 78 East to 15 South corridor. Your commute is going to be closer to 1 hour.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 37,439 times
oooo gosh...thanks for that info......what about Bankers Hill area? Is that more realistic???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego