Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If worse comes to worse, check out the employment opportunities at the R. J. Donovan State Prison in San Diego.
Those are State of California jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM

142 posts, read 442,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieandFrank View Post
Hey gals/guys
We have visited SD in June many times and it is pretty cloudy....well then I read June is SD cloudy month!! Is it like that the whole month of June? Is there much of a difference in the 1st 2 weeks of July? As much as we would like to go in July, we might end up having to go the last week of June. We love to hang out at Mission Beach with our kids but at times it got pretty chilly... Any info would be great!!!
Connie and Frank

Yes, June Gloom is for real....in both May and June coastal So.Calif. gets fogged in quite often where clouds will linger until late afternoon and sometimes the sun will NEVER break through.

The WORST time of year in my opnion.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM

142 posts, read 442,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
[SIZE=3]Honestly, I was expecting a Mediterranean climate before I moved to SD. It is actually cooler than I expected. Coming for the Southeast, I had no clue how cold the water (Pacific) is. When I visited SD in the past, I noticed how green and plush the area around Balboa park was. But now that I live in Sorrento Valley, I know much of the area is either beach or desert.

It's not that I'm complaining, but I believe I can make a blanket statement that most outsiders think that SoCal is a tropical paradise and a bit warmer, justifing the price of housing. When people ask me about the climate, I say it is more akin to a cool autumn day with ocean breezes, perfect convertible weather.

Since I have only lived in the area for 4 months, honestly this is my first impression and subject to change
Yes, as a native So.Calif., I agree with you.

The Beach Boys and the Chamber of Commerce have perpetuated a fantasy in people's heads that So.Calif. is akin to Hawaii.

I will even state that the So.Calif. coastal climate is the most OVERRATED and OVERHYPED climate in the nation.

Too much fog on the coast...the ocean water is for polar bears...and even in the middle of summer you'll get days when the beach is too cool.

I'd take Hawaii's climate anyday over San Diego.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Yes, as a native So.Calif., I agree with you.

The Beach Boys and the Chamber of Commerce have perpetuated a fantasy in people's heads that So.Calif. is akin to Hawaii.

I will even state that the So.Calif. coastal climate is the most OVERRATED and OVERHYPED climate in the nation.

Too much fog on the coast...the ocean water is for polar bears...and even in the middle of summer you'll get days when the beach is too cool.

I'd take Hawaii's climate anyday over San Diego.
I agree with most of what you said here. It is overrated and although I gripe about the weather here a lot (for different reasons lol), I'd take SD's weather over Hawaii's any day.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with most of what you said here. It is overrated and although I gripe about the weather here a lot (for different reasons lol), I'd take SD's weather over Hawaii's any day.
I second the Hawaii weather opinion. Hawaii is a fun place to vacation but I just couldn't live there. Too hot and too humid.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Something I encountered when I visited San Diego a few years back in August: a few hours of intense mugginess between about 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. every day. I didn't expect that AT ALL, but it was very uncomfortable during that time of day for the week I was there. Now, it was August, which is typically the month for most extreme weather for anywhere in the U.S., but I was drenched in sweat and wondering where that "perfect" climate went. That said, the weather was heavenly the rest of the time (especially at night).

Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Something I encountered when I visited San Diego a few years back in August: a few hours of intense mugginess between about 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. every day. I didn't expect that AT ALL, but it was very uncomfortable during that time of day for the week I was there. Now, it was August, which is typically the month for most extreme weather for anywhere in the U.S., but I was drenched in sweat and wondering where that "perfect" climate went. That said, the weather was heavenly the rest of the time (especially at night).
Yeah it gets humid here and that takes many by surprise. You will be drenched in sweat but the actual temperature may not be all that high. Usually high 70's or in August perhaps low 80's. Some years it's far worse than others.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
The thing is, when it gets unbearably warm and/or humid in July or August (and it does for a few weeks during that time), most San Diegans can just drive to the beach and swim in 69 degree water. And it's free. You can't do that in 99% of the rest of the nation, which is one thing that makes San Diego really nice, IMO.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
The thing is, when it gets unbearably warm and/or humid in July or August (and it does for a few weeks during that time), most San Diegans can just drive to the beach and swim in 69 degree water. And it's free. You can't do that in 99% of the rest of the nation, which is one thing that makes San Diego really nice, IMO.
That's true and in the humid areas that do have water nearby, that water isn't much cooler than the air.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
R J Donovan is frequently hiring health professionals. You go to the State Personnel Board website www.spb.ca.gov and click on jobs, then VPOS (vacancies) Do a geo search clicking on San Diego county and you will find the health related positions at R.J. Donovan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego