Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Unless you live in S.F or N.Y, most Sheriff's departments provide extensive law enforcement service to unincorporated county regions and also to contract cities.
Yep. Down here in unincorporated Burbank, we have Sheriff's Dept. and Highway Patrol instead of SJPD. Kind of sucks - bunch of random rookies and roided-out-looking Biffs storming around the neighborhood, chasing the ghettobird's spotlight. Cops that people in the neighborhood actually know, and vice-versa, would be much preferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Yep. Down here in unincorporated Burbank, we have Sheriff's Dept. and Highway Patrol instead of SJPD. Kind of sucks - bunch of random rookies and roided-out-looking Biffs storming around the neighborhood, chasing the ghettobird's spotlight. Cops that people in the neighborhood actually know, and vice-versa, would be much preferred.
I've thought about how fun it would be to restore that old movie theatre, I had dreams of showing classic movies and having a 60's diner sort of integrated in somehow... Although, not sure if the demographics of the area would really go for a night of milk shakes and 60's movies.

I'm surprised S.J hasn't annexed the area...

Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Geez, Rush, did you not get your prescription order on time this month?
Ah yes, if I disagree with the manufactroversey of the month, I must be a hard core right-winger! Good game bro.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The Alameda County Sheriff contracts to provide security for the Transit System... it also maintains a huge presence at the county court house a few blocks away.

Oakland is the county seat for Alameda county.

BART police were also out in force... the BART headquarters is a few blocks away and BART police closed at least two BART stations.

The California Highway Patrol also takes on the duty of State Police... in other words the agency does more than patrol highways.

The reports said there were 13 agencies involved...

I would guess about half have some presence on a day to day basis and the rest responded under mutual aid.

Many of the outlying communities are more than willing to dispatch their officers to Oakland... they see it as containment... at least this is what one Walnut Creek Officer told me...
So WHO gave the order to start using Flash-Bangs, Rubber bullets, Bean Bags and Tear Gas on the crowd? This wasn't a Prison Riot, it was the public demonstrating. I recall an incident in Marin where a mans arm was ripped off by a Bean Bag fired at close range. Scott Olsen was shot directly in the head. The police wouldn't have been packing all that stuff if they weren't planning to use it.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So WHO gave the order to start using Flash-Bangs, Rubber bullets, Bean Bags and Tear Gas on the crowd? This wasn't a Prison Riot, it was the public demonstrating. I recall an incident in Marin where a mans arm was ripped off by a Bean Bag fired at close range. Scott Olsen was shot directly in the head. The police wouldn't have been packing all that stuff if they weren't planning to use it.
I honestly don't know other than what was reported...

OPD and the Mayor said OPD do not have any stock of rubber bullets or Flash Bang devices.

They do have tear gas and admitted to using it.

There were also independent reports of protesters or people other than the police setting off fire works/explosions

From the best available data I have OPD is fully responsible for the tear gas...

OPD is at an all time low in terms of sworn officers... this has to impact decisions from the top down.

The department came under very heavy criticism for not acting swift enough to prevent property damage and injuries during the BART police protests...

The "Others" no matter who they are are on video vandalizing unattended patrol cars...

It wasn't exactly a Gandhi or Kumbaya scene.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I honestly don't know other than what was reported...

OPD and the Mayor said OPD do not have any stock of rubber bullets or Flash Bang devices.

They do have tear gas and admitted to using it.

There were also independent reports of protesters or people other than the police setting off fire works/explosions

From the best available data I have OPD is fully responsible for the tear gas...

OPD is at an all time low in terms of sworn officers... this has to impact decisions from the top down.

The department came under very heavy criticism for not acting swift enough to prevent property damage and injuries during the BART police protests...

The "Others" no matter who they are are on video vandalizing unattended patrol cars...

It wasn't exactly a Gandhi or Kumbaya scene.
Who called in all of these agencies and why?
Who shot Scott Olsen point blank in the face with a Tear Gas round?
The scenes I saw looked llike a battlefield and the only people with weapons were the Police.
I am a retired Police Supervisor and I can only say I would have been fired if this happened under my supervision.
The First Amendment begins with "the Congress Shall Make NO LAW"
those people have a right to be there

Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
The scenes I saw looked llike a battlefield and the only people with weapons were the Police.
I am a retired Police Supervisor and I can only say I would have been fired if this happened under my supervision.
Allegedly, of course. Also, being a former police officer, I find it very difficult to believe you're unaware of the laws that made their presence there illegal. Also, you'd think a former police supervisor would know more about how law enforcement agencies like the Sheriff operate. Forgive me if I call shenanigans.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:

Old 10-29-2011, 12:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
1. My understanding is the campers were repeatedly notified of unlawful assembly and asked to leave... some left others said they would have to be dragged away kicking and screaming. So I would say some agencies were called in as support to those agencies already operating in the area... the OPD, BART Police, Alameda Sheriff Department and the Highway Patrol.

2. Most likely the shot was fired by OPD and this has been stated many times and the OPD doesn't deny this.

3. Yes, my city did look like a battlefield again... people are welcome to visit, but I draw the line when my city is being trashed. As far as weapons... how do you classify explosive devices like fireworks/M80's?

4. I doubt anyone will be fired... we just installed a new Chief of Police and the Mayor has publicly expressed her support of the protesters.

5. Interesting point of view... why is it I cannot camp overnight on the beach? Don't I have a right to be there? If these people are above the law then what is the point of having any law?

The real question for the residents of Oakland is why do we allow people to trash are park and impede the business of the people... the people of Oakland. Residents are avoiding the Downtown... shop keepers are impacted... don't we have rights?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Egyptians march from Tahrir Square to support Occupy Oakland protestors - Boing Boing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland