Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,489 times

Advertisements

SF looks great but is really a lousy city in terms of social interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:13 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Why do people keep trying to figure out why people love SF? Millions of people every year from around the world go to SF and continue to visit years later. If you think it's overrated , overrated to who? The millions who love to visit every year? How can something be overrated when people enjoy it for their own personal reasons? WTF
I think the people in SF are very "clickish" at times and kinda always stay in their own little world. Their definately not as outgoing as compared to to NY/NJ people.Thats the only thing i'm not feelin about SF though. SOME of The liberals here are like "Oh we dont mind Blacks and Latinos, as long as their not hanging out in OUR social group". You cant deny that, I have seen it here before. Other than the fact that SF people can be very hypocritical sometimes, most people outside of SF(Greater Bay Area) are pretty cool and down to earth.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
I think the people in SF are very "clickish" at times and kinda always stay in their own little world. Their definately not as outgoing as compared to to NY/NJ people.Thats the only thing i'm not feelin about SF though. SOME of The liberals here are like "Oh we dont mind Blacks and Latinos, as long as their not hanging out in OUR social group". You cant deny that, I have seen it here before. Other than the fact that SF people can be very hypocritical sometimes, most people outside of SF(Greater Bay Area) are pretty cool and down to earth.
Eh, I don't know. Most people living in SF are not from SF, so it's not the city making them that way, they were that way before transplanting there. I don't find people in NY an NJ anymore outgoing. They are more rude and obnoxious and it takes getting used to if you're not from there or never been. People in NY complain about not meeting people also. That's just how cities are, Clickish, no matter which city you live in. Small towns are for nice friendly neighbor stuff.

Sf has changed because of the transplants the SF natives who were born and raised in the city many Black have left. In the 60's and 70's my father told me how different SF was and how it had a thriving Black community of almost 20% most not in poverty unlike now.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Naw bro,no offense but I think your way off. My mom is from Bronx, NY and my pops is from the Mission SF. I been going to both cities since I was a youngster. the people in NYC/NJ are WAY more easier to hang out with and get to know. IT must have alot to do with the fact that NYC/NJ has way more dense neighberhoods than the Bay, Im sure thats a factor.as well as the SF and the Bay Area are very workaholic cities. My friend from Oakland said the same thing when I brought him there like 4 months ago. He was like "Damn I didn't know that Blacks and Latinos were this tight on the East Coast". As well as other races too. Also the East Coast got huge numbers of Puertoricans,Dominicans,and South Americans. And our culture is very outgoing and warm, so we show alot of love to our friends and people we know. In 29 yrs, i just dont see that out in SF. Much more reserved and colder attitude. But I'm not arguing, its just what me and alot of people do notice though.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Naw bro,no offense but I think your way off. My mom is from Bronx, NY and my pops is from the Mission SF. I been going to both cities since I was a youngster. the people in NYC/NJ are WAY more easier to hang out with and get to know. IT must have alot to do with the fact that NYC/NJ has way more dense neighberhoods than the Bay, Im sure thats a factor.as well as the SF and the Bay Area are very workaholic cities. My friend from Oakland said the same thing when I brought him there like 4 months ago. He was like "Damn I didn't know that Blacks and Latinos were this tight on the East Coast". As well as other races too. Also the East Coast got huge numbers of Puertoricans,Dominicans,and South Americans. And our culture is very outgoing and warm, so we show alot of love to our friends and people we know. In 29 yrs, i just dont see that out in SF. Much more reserved and colder attitude. But I'm not arguing, its just what me and alot of people do notice though.
Hey it's all good. Our opinions just differ. I lived out there so I seen how it is, my moms side all stay in Camden, NJ and Harlem. I lived in Queens for a while. It's easier to make friends when you're younger, meaning High School and below. As an adult out there it can be just as cold. I'm not talking about dates, just friends.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM

It's cool man. I hear you on that. Alot of it has to do with who your trying to network with as well. Career,Activity,Business,Friendship wise. etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Eh, I don't know. Most people living in SF are not from SF, so it's not the city making them that way, they were that way before transplanting there. I don't find people in NY an NJ anymore outgoing. They are more rude and obnoxious and it takes getting used to if you're not from there or never been. People in NY complain about not meeting people also. That's just how cities are, Clickish, no matter which city you live in. Small towns are for nice friendly neighbor stuff.

Sf has changed because of the transplants the SF natives who were born and raised in the city many Black have left. In the 60's and 70's my father told me how different SF was and how it had a thriving Black community of almost 20% most not in poverty unlike now.
I totally agree with you.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Most people living in SF are not from SF, so it's not the city making them that way, they were that way before transplanting there.
This should be stickied on the first page.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM

96 posts, read 180,284 times
Quote:
In 29 yrs, i just dont see that out in SF. Much more reserved and colder attitude. But I'm not arguing, its just what me and alot of people do notice though.
Agreed. For such a naturally stunning landscape, you would kind of expect friendlier, less cold people. For some reason that's not the case.

I'm from Chicago and always felt at home in NY in terms of people, social interaction, etc. But here it's another thing altogether.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM

736 posts, read 485,322 times
Quote:
That's probably true to some extent. I've traveled all over the world, and one thing I can you tell is this: New Yorkers, rude or not, are very inclusive. Everyone just talks to everyone. That's just not the case in cities like SF. New Yorkerd just seems to accept everyone on the surface. It's truly just a real mixture of people all coming together. Rich, poor, black, white, Catholic, Jewish...it's all good...or so it seems. LOL.

San Francisco is ironically the city of tolerance, but it's anything but, in my opinon. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but...

Quote:
, Im sure thats a factor.as well as the SF and the Bay Area are very workaholic cities. .
I've heard that from quite a few people. Very interesting observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland