Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Of which, we could suspect about 35 or so would be along the lines of "Are you serious?", or "Are you high?"
You would hope...good lord, people must like throwing money away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:27 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x7er View Post
clongirl, Its odd, you admit to being part of the middle-class group that is getting squeezed out of San Francisco, yet you criticize those that move here and suggest that perhaps we try to change the place to prevent that exact thing from happening. No one is trying to change anything that makes the City great. They (or I) are just suggesting we re-examine some of these silly policies that contribute to the extreme income inequality in San Francisco.

And no, I don't think I'm unique. I'm not special. That's my point. There's a ton of people just like me - middle class folks that might balance the city out a bit. People that could move here with families and contribute to the character and productivity of the city. But as it stands now, the middle class is fleeing, and the gates for middle class families from other areas to enter the city are effectively closed.

And what I hear from all the natives is, "The City was better back in the [insert decade here] when there were more families and a strong middle class." So again, what's so wrong with moving here and hoping things might change for the benefit of everybody?

"We" should try to change the "extreme income inequality"? You are very naive and silly to think that it's just a San Francisco phenomenon. This is a national problem. You're saying "we" but what you mean is someone, somewhere should do something to make life better for YOU because YOU aren't thriving in one of the most expensive housing markets in the US and are in a shi**y situation with a crappy roommate but deserve to be here because you've always had this dream to be here. You move where you can afford to. If you can't afford champagne, then you buy beer if you can't afford beer, then you drink water.

I don't know what your point about the natives is...yes, those days are over--pointless to focus on what used to be (I was only telling you that it's been this way for over twenty years now). It's not ever going to be "affordable" or attract the working class people anymore (the housing bubble certainly proved this). I'm nut begrudging people that can afford or want to live here. If they can afford it or be at peace with all the stressors of urban life, then that's okay by me.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x7er View Post
Ohh, and let me get this straight: You regularly browse a forum that specifically targets people looking to relocate, willingly click on a thread entitled "SF Rental Market is Insane," read through 5 pages of it, reply, then complain that you are tired of reading about people complaining about the rental market. Huh? That would like me telling my friends "I'm so damn sick of reading hundreds of pages of War and Peace for no reason whatsoever."

If every time you walked down the street, someone stopped you and forcibly held you down so they could relay their 20-minute rental market sob story, then yes, that'd be tiresome. But stop pretending like you're "so tired" of reading something that no one is forcing you to read.

The problem isn't the 99% of the threads where someone lists their wants and needs, realizes their budget won't work here and comes to a compromise.

It's the 1% that stomp their feet and say "It's so UNFAIR that I can't have everything I want. In Podunkville, IA my $70,000 salary would have me living like a king!". Tough.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM

411 posts, read 720,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You would hope...good lord, people must like throwing money away.
In other news, I just lost out on a 2.5k/month...room share

Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
In other news, I just lost out on a 2.5k/month...room share

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. I've been trying to find somewhere to live for over a year now. Pretty much given up and am resigned to live above my work, I guess forever.

I refuse to go to any more open houses to try to win people over just to rent a room in their apartment. It's ridiculous and demoralizing. Btw, I make over 200k and can't find a place to live, so I feel your pain. I pretty much will be forced to have to buy a place if I want to find somewhere to live. Of course, my 2 million in debt to pay for my business will keep that from happening. So...ive gone from where you are now to just flat out giving up in a year.

Good luck! Keep trying. You'll get something.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
If you are willing to look outside of San Francisco limits I think you will find something. There's still competition in other areas (we ended up in the East Bay), but it's still nothing like what you find in the city right now.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 AM

9 posts, read 57,196 times
At least San Francisco, and Manhattan for that matter, are big cities. San Mateo and Santa Clara county rents are insane now from all the savvy deadbeats duping their mortgage and the property infestors propping up the market. Imagine having to pay $1,500 for a one bedroom and yet still having to drive 10+ miles to work and 5+ miles for decent groceries.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 AM

312 posts, read 798,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Most of America doesn't offer same or better employment opportunities, nor do they provide the same culture, universities, dining etc, I live 6 months of the year in Phoenix, and I know it doesn't offer any of those. Neither does it have Michelin rated restaurants, nor does it have the diversity of jobs. It also doesn't have jobs offering 200k+, or opportunities with some of fastest growing and on-demand companies of the world. Neither does it have comparable universities to Stanford and UC Berkeley. Nor does it have a comparable wine region to Napa/Sonoma. Not to mention weather, beaches, urban amenities etc. I haven't lived in many of the places you mention but I can guess that very few of those places offer ALL the amenities that the Bay Area does.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you about Phoenix. I lived there 2004-2010. I'm sorry you don't see the same things I saw. The Phoenix I lived in and loved had everything I needed.

I do have to concede to your point on the employment market, there are maybe not the "fastest growing and on-demand companies of the world", but entrepreneurs are even attempting a "startup" culture there, so there ARE opportunities.

I live in Houston now (a city which is absolutely booming right now and arguably can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the Bay Area as far as amenities) but would return to Phoenix if the situation is right for me. I enjoyed it and I miss it.

Culture: Phoenix has a symphony orchestra, major art museum (largest in the Southwest), opera company and this is just downtown, I'm not counting Scottsdale or Tempe.

"Neither does it have Michelin rated restaurants": Michelin does not rate restaurants in Arizona as far as I recall, so that's irrelevant. If you can afford to eat at Michelin rated restaurants (I certainly cannot), you and I are on two different levels anyway. Zagat rates plenty of establishments all over the Valley. Me, I enjoy burgers at Wendy's and the occasional Boston Market meal.

"comparable universities to Stanford and UC Berkeley": Arizona State is certainly no Stanford or Cal, but the University of Arizona is two hours down the road, and arguably a great public university. I should know, I'm an alum. And a huge portion of the UA alumni base is in the Valley.

"Nor does it have a comparable wine region to Napa/Sonoma": I'm not a wine guy but Cochise, Santa Cruz and Yavapai counties comprise some of the fastest growing emerging wine regions in the nation. (Do some research on Texas wines as well.)

Weather, beaches, urban amenities: How anyone could NOT love Arizona weather truly baffles me. Yes it gets hot in the summer. Stay indoors during the 110º times. Beaches? Drive to San Diego or into Mexico. Urban amenities? What exactly do you mean by that? That could mean anything.

For most people in middle-class and higher-end blue collar professions (like me), it makes utterly and absolutely no sense to live in San Francisco or the Bay Area when so many other places around the nation offer everything the average middle-income person would ever want or need. For a LOT LESS MONEY.

PS: There's a REASON so many people are literally pouring into Texas each day. Cities in Texas are among the fastest growing in the nation, and there ARE jobs here.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
Weather, beaches, urban amenities: How anyone could NOT love Arizona weather truly baffles me. Yes it gets hot in the summer. Stay indoors during the 110º times. Beaches? Drive to San Diego or into Mexico. Urban amenities? What exactly do you mean by that? That could mean anything.

I despise the oven that is the southwest, absolutely hate it. We drove through Arizona, NM and Texas in May. May! and it was hotter than hell. If for some reason, I had to move there, I'd probably commit suicide.

Also, isn't a drive to San Diego or Mexico kind of a trek?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Most of America doesn't offer same or better employment opportunities, nor do they provide the same culture, universities, dining etc, I live 6 months of the year in Phoenix, and I know it doesn't offer any of those. Neither does it have Michelin rated restaurants, nor does it have the diversity of jobs. It also doesn't have jobs offering 200k+, or opportunities with some of fastest growing and on-demand companies of the world. Neither does it have comparable universities to Stanford and UC Berkeley. Nor does it have a comparable wine region to Napa/Sonoma. Not to mention weather, beaches, urban amenities etc. I haven't lived in many of the places you mention but I can guess that very few of those places offer ALL the amenities that the Bay Area does.
the bay area does offer lots of ammenities that other areas do not have
such as world class restaurants ,symphony,theatre,opera,great sailing ,skiing but with a MEDIAN family income of $85,000 and increasing rents how many of san francisco residents are going to Coi,boulevard,la follie ,michael minna and the like?
on the median family income you are going on a lot of ski weeks in tahoe or going to the meritage in Napa and french laundry.

what's the point in living in a city with world class ammenities if you can't afford to enjoy them you might as well live in fresno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland