Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
You have not demonstrated 1) a significant proportion of Oakland's educated population live in the flatlands
2)a significant proportion of Oakland's educated population are renters or transient
Yes I have. Just look at the graphs. Did you even look at them?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Doc, is you holding that a renter is transient by definition?

There are a lot of long-term renters out there I bet.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Doc, is you holding that a renter is transient by definition?

There are a lot of long-term renters out there I bet.
Renters are inherently more transient than owners. I have nearly three dozen cash flow positive rental properties around the Bay Area from Vacaville to Santa Clara County. The average stay of my prized tenants is 2-3 years. Most of them either find a job further away, buy a place, or move completely out of state. In places like Uptown and Temescal, you see 80-90% renters on the graphic I posted. That tells me there's a huge transient property to the population there.

Heck, the person who buys a home only sticks around on average 5-7 years themselves!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Renters are inherently more transient than owners. I have nearly two dozen cash flow positive rental properties around the Bay Area from Vacaville to Santa Clara County. The average stay of my prized tenants is 2-3 years. Most of them either find a job further away, buy a place, or move completely out of state. In places like Uptown and Temescal, you see 80-90% renters on the graphic I posted. That tells me there's a huge transient property to the population there.

Heck, the person who buys a home only sticks around on average 5-7 years themselves!
Doc, most people think transient are equivalent to homeless, not a typical person finding a better job elsewhere. /shrug

Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Doc, most people think transient are equivalent to homeless, not a typical person finding a better job elsewhere. /shrug
Well those people are partially right. Both groups are transient, it simply describes a person's ties to an area. Someone with a family, and a typical middle class home will stay around longer. Someone who is renting will stay around for much less time. That's the culture in the U.S.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Renters are inherently more transient than owners. I have nearly three dozen cash flow positive rental properties around the Bay Area from Vacaville to Santa Clara County. The average stay of my prized tenants is 2-3 years. Most of them either find a job further away, buy a place, or move completely out of state. In places like Uptown and Temescal, you see 80-90% renters on the graphic I posted. That tells me there's a huge transient property to the population there.

But you have not demonstrated that renters/transient people are more educated than the home-owning population. This point has been pointed out by others on this thread and you have simply ignored them (surprising...).

I'll help you out:

Quote:
...Oakland has always been a transient city because it's a cheaper alternative to more desirable cities. So many of the starving students artificially inflate the amount of "degrees" in the city. Once they leave, other poor students take their place...
Quote:
san francisco is 62% renters
los angelos is 66% renters
oakland is 55% renters
you have not demostrated that the renters are more educated than owners who live in oakland and these renters are responsible for oakland high rankings on educated cities lists...
once again please site a source that renters in oakland are more educated than home owners
Quote:
Actually you said Oakland's high rankings on educated cities lists
was a result of poor transient ph.d and post grad students and not property owners. This illogical so site your source
I'm not saying they are/aren't...it's probably the case that they are, but I'm not going to make any assumptions. It sounds like you're making plenty of assumptions, something you have claimed in the past in many other threads/topics to never do...

Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM

I never said they were "more educated", I simply said they boosted the overall numbers of degree holders in the city.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
I never said they were "more educated", I simply said they boosted the overall numbers of degree holders in the city.
Hahahahaa......that can be said of any major city, how is Oakland special?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Educated people who can afford it don't live in the Oakland flats.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Educated people who can afford it don't live in the Oakland flats.
Once again, how is that different from any other city? Educated people who can afford it, will move away from a neighborhood with higher crime and poor schools, regardless as to the city we're talking about.

Or is Skid Row in LA teeming with PhDs and wealthy socialites?

Double Standard Alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland