Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Yeah. There are still middle class in Oakland.
A token amount.

Here's your graph just to show you just how bad the problem is in Oakland:

As you can see, for all low income categories, Oakland leads both California, and the U.S on average.

Then when you look at this graphic on poverty:

I'm not sure how you can come up with any other conclusion than Oakland has a huge problem with poverty.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM

119 posts, read 184,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I live in a scary area -- East Oakland flatlands. I learned, as sad as it is, I can't fix people.

I've done the hand wringing, the neighborhood get togethers, the taking back the nights, the let's all get together and sing Kumbayas.... but I stopped. I can't make people live better lives and raise better children. They have to want to change their paths, and have the strength to do so.

As someone who has watched someone fight addiction to alcohol and drugs and lose, over and over, and someone else who suffered from mental illness, and insisted every one else was to blame and SHE was fine.... there comes a time where you have to stop worrying about them and accept they are lost. If you don't, they will take down into their own circle of hell. In the bad parts of Oakland, that pretty much sums it up.

I know that makes me sound like an uncaring beast, but I need to take care of myself and my family and business, and the last time I checked I wasn't omnipotent.
I don't think you're an uncaring beast . This is getting OT I know. I have also seen my share of people dealing with addiction. I had two friends die of overdoses right out of high school. (Years later I still miss them and think of them when I walk passed certain landmarks). And I grew up poor and I know I'm not the only one on this board that did. But I have to say I have pretty strong empathy and have never become jaded. I really think there is always a way to help your neighborhood, community, and city. I don't think we just have to accept things as bad and throw your hands up in the air and say that's just the way it is .

I was watching this older woman the other day at the intersection of Church and Market near Safeway. She was walking with a limp and a cane, and she had a back pack full of sandwiches she'd made herself. She was seeking out the homeless people by Safeway and handing out sandwiches and bottles of water to each one. It was awesome! I'm not saying you should do the same BTW but it was an example of someone making a small difference. Because those people didn't go hungry that day.

I personally enjoy doing volunteer work when I can. I don't do as much as I should. But I've put in some time with the San Francisco AIDS foundation and the SFSPCA ( fostering ). My husband and I have delivered for meals on wheels a few times too.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's about the same as Los Angeles, Long Beach, Sacramento and Fresno.
GLAMA is about 50x bigger than Oakland. It's actually impressive that it's comparable to Oakland given the difference in size and economic diversity between the areas.

Long Beach is pretty much "SoCal Oakland".

Sacramento and Fresno are not Bay Area Cities, nor are they part of a powerful local economy like the Bay Area. Oakland is. That makes it even worse for Oakland that it has poverty rates comparable to "Fresno".

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
As you can see, the majority of Oakland (the flats) has problems with poverty; Maxwell Park, Fruitvale, all of West Oakland, all of East Oakland, etc.
The only thing your map proves is that Oakland has socio-economic diversity to a very high degree. You seem to have this strange notion that people should be segregated.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
A token amount.

Here's your graph just to show you just how bad the problem is in Oakland:

As you can see, for all low income categories, Oakland leads both California, and the U.S on average.

Then when you look at this graphic on poverty:

I'm not sure how you can come up with any other conclusion than Oakland has a huge problem with poverty.
Who said they don't have a problem with poverty? I didn't. But it's not much worse than elsewhere in CA.

And you are token something if you include up to 49,999 as low income. You are missing the mark by 5k or so according to the Fed definition.

Quote:
The only thing your map proves is that Oakland has socio-economic diversity to a very high degree. You seem to have this strange notion that people should be segregated.
Senno has detected that as well. But doesn't speak of it as calling Doc a racist might get Senno into trouble.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
The only thing your map proves is that Oakland has socio-economic diversity to a very high degree.
Let's be honest, that's "cover up" speak for lots of poor people.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
GLAMA is about 50x bigger than Oakland.
Size is irrelevant because you make no such concession for Oakland's crime rate being concentrated due to Oakland's small size, so it would be hypocritical of you to now claim that they are not comparable--Im only looking out for your credibility 'doc'. LMAO.

And since we're on the topic of LA:

What Los Angeles neighborhoods offer all of the following:

1. Excellent K-12 Public Schools

2. Low Crime

3. Very affordable

4. Predominantly Middle Class

Surely there must be many areas.

*yawns*

Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Who said they don't have a problem with poverty? I didn't. But it's not much worse than elsewhere in CA.
According to your graph, much worse than CA and the U.S on average.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Let's be honest, that's "cover up" speak for lots of poor people.
Poor people dont deserve to live in respectable neighborhoods?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
GLAMA is about 50x bigger than Oakland. It's actually impressive that it's comparable to Oakland given the difference in size and economic diversity between the areas.

Long Beach is pretty much "SoCal Oakland".

Sacramento and Fresno are not Bay Area Cities, nor are they part of a powerful local economy like the Bay Area. Oakland is. That makes it even worse for Oakland that it has poverty rates comparable to "Fresno".
Hey, Doc. You might be surprised that according to some measures Fresno compares economically to San Antonio and Bakersfield to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland