Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Oh, so when local news from Oakland, S.F, Contra Costa County, etc report all the crime problems in Oakland, it's "media distorting" things about Oakland.

But when a British media outlet 7,000 miles away publishes an advertisement piece paid for by the Oakand City Council, it's legitimate press.

Interesting.
site the sourse that the article in the indpendent was "paid for by the Oakand City Council"

do you also think the oakland city council paid the NEW YORK TIMES to vote oakland #5 on it's places to visit list ?

the reality is there is signifigant gentrification and a growing entertainment scene in oakland. the people who deny it are starting to look kind of deranged in my opinion.

from sf business weekly
"Oakland’s burgeoning restaurant scene is no longer up-and-coming — it has arrived. And the city has the numbers to prove it."
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...d-oakland.html

Last edited by ssmaster; 03-18-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times
sfpd has a well documented history of underreporting criime

"San Francisco’s 2010 arrest numbers are severely underreported due to technical glitches with the system, which has yet to be corrected. According to the Bay Citizen article, the data collection system SFPD was installed in 1972. These figures have been inaccurately reported since data collection was implemented in San Francisco, yet must be relied upon by local, statewide, and national agencies. "

San Francisco data collection needs upgrade | Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
site the sourse that the article in the indpendent was "paid for by the Oakand City Council"

do you also think the oakland city council paid the NEW YORK TIMES to vote oakland #5 on it's places to visit list ?

the reality is there is signifigant gentrification and a growing entertainment scene in oakland. the people who deny it are starting to look kind of deranged in my opinion.

from sf business weekly
"Oakland’s burgeoning restaurant scene is no longer up-and-coming — it has arrived. And the city has the numbers to prove it."
City becoming a destination - San Francisco Business Times
So why would you believe those articles published by news outlets which are thousands of miles away, but totally disregard local media in the area of Oakland?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcatgirl View Post
That probably is why the schools seem to be less racially diverse. When I compare my daughters school to the schools of my friends in the East Bay it sounds like some of the schools their kids are attending are very white. My daughters school feels very diverse. There are kids with parents from all over the world. My daughter is caucasian, her father in from England. One of her best friends has parents from El Salvador and her other best friend is half Chinese and half Japanese. It's pretty neat.
I must add that I don't know that to be 100% true of schools in the East Bay because I haven't lived there so you East bay residence know better than I do.I am just going by what I've heard. I did grow up in SF and my daughter is now attending public school here as well. I feel like my knowledge of the SF school system is pretty good.
Not quite. Neighborhoods are pretty diverse all over Oakland. (Even the affluent ones). But after about middle school or age 12 or so, more affluent and middle class parents leave the Oakland public schools. Either go private or move somewhere else. Elementary schools are really diverse, as are a good portion of neighborhoods.

You don't want to lump the "east bay" into one big category. There are many types of cities and neighborhoods with varying levels of diversity. What is true of Oakland, is not the same as Hayward or Pleasanton or Dublin or Castro Valley or Alameda. All of these places are very different in all aspects.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
I have to agree Oakland is worse. I have heard Highland hospital treats way more gun shot wounds than SF General.
That doesn't mean anything -- Highland is the major trauma center for the county -- pretty much ALL GSWs get treated there...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM

119 posts, read 184,856 times
I don't know. I have a feeling gun related crime is higher in Oakland.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:15 PM

I don't have anything that compares it to San Francisco. I looked online for info but couldn't find anything. I did find this wiki page. It has a few stats.
Crime in Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM

I don't now what part of Oakland you live in. But the majority of my friends that were priced out of San Francisco have moved to West Oakland. They describe it as pretty dangerous, but they love that the rent is low and they have a lot of space. For instance one of my friends is able to grow his own vegetables and keep chickens. Another is able to have a music studio in his home because he has a lot of space. But I know they have both had multiple shootings in their neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
I don't now what part of Oakland you live in. But the majority of my friends that were priced out of San Francisco have moved to West Oakland. They describe it as pretty dangerous, but they love that the rent is low and they have a lot of space. For instance one of my friends is able to grow his own vegetables and keep chickens. Another is able to have a music studio in his home because he has a lot of space. But I know they have both had multiple shootings in their neighborhoods.
Many parts of West Oakland are way cheaper for a reason. And there are many other types of areas in Oakland that fewer issues with crime.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Go visit the Tenderloin or Bayview/Hunter's Point and come back and tell us what you think. Crime in SF is on the local news all the time...home invasions, homicides, violent armed robberies, extreme rioting in the streets after the Giants won the World Series...etc.

I'm not trying to call you out, but I just think you're coming across as somebody who isn't familiar with the city at all and don't really know what you're talking about. Tourism is a major part of SF's economy, so SF wants to maintain a certain image. Locals know different though. It's actually easier to avoid the ghetto in Oakland than it can be in SF. SF's blocks vary greatly and somebody unfamiliar with the city could easily end up in a bad part of town by mistake. It's much easier to avoid Oakland's bad areas.

You probably won't find these images on any San Francisco travel website...

Sunnydale

Tenderloin
Actually a lot of tourists do wind up in parts of the tenderloin since it's near downtown. I visit the downtown library and the playground outside of it with my seven year old sometimes and it's basically in the tenderloin. So is the Civic Center farmers market. There are many reasons the average person might find themselves in the tenderloin at one time or another. Same with the Mission.

Sunnydale is a little different because it's a project on the edge of the city. I've been past there only a couple of times. But there are projects in the middle of the city on pretty good property like the Valencia gardens and the housing projects in the Western addition / Hayes valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland