Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times

Advertisements

The difference though is Oakland PD regular DOESN'T solve crimes and S.F.P.D does.

Why Can't Oakland PD Lower The Crime Rate? Because They Can't Catch Criminals: SFist

Quote:
What sounds like a bad joke about Oakland's struggling police force is actually the headline to an investigative report by the East Bay Express this week. In the Express' cover story, reporter Ali Winston takes a hard look at the department's data and finds that Oakland's sky-high homicide rate, which has been over 100 for four of the past five years and has already hit 108 in 2012, won't get any lower until they actually start solving some crimes:

...perhaps the most telling statistic is OPD's solve rate — known in criminal justice circles as the clearance rate — for homicides. According to the department's Criminal Investigations Division's annual management report, OPD investigators solved and prosecuted just 32 of the 110 homicide cases of 2011, or a clearance rate of 29 percent.

The San Francisco Police, by comparison, cleared 52 percent of homicides in 2011 and 64 percent of the homicides to date this year...
There's a big difference in quality of work I'm afraid. If a murder is committed in Oakland, there's a HIGH chance it will go unsolved.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
I think his point is that SF pads it stats by declaring crimes as not crimes some...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I think his point is that SF pads it stats by declaring crimes as not crimes some...
yeah it's really easy to have a good clearance rate if you put homicides into the suicide category.
foriegn nationals are a good choice. like the french guy's family would not know if he is depressed because they haven't seen him often .lucky for him his local girlfriend raided a stink

Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I've seen hardcore veteran cops puke at some of the things I was forced to see as a young resident physician.
I'm talkin' fear for own safety, not squeemishness. Big difference. And here's a hint fer ya from an old cop, not all confrontations end in blood and gore. Blown my own cookies a time or two.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
yeah it's really easy to have a good clearance rate if you put homicides into the suicide category.
foriegn nationals are a good choice. like the french guy's family would not know if he is depressed because they haven't seen him often .lucky for him his local girlfriend raided a stink
Kinda like how SFPD doesn't have a classification for Asian or Latino in the crime metrics gathered at the time of the incident.

SFPD underreports Latino, Asian arrests - SFGate

Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I'd like proof of that. I've heard many times the following excuses for why Oakland has high crime:

- The local media demonizes Oakland to make money.
- SFPD doesn't report crimes to keep stats down.
- Danville has gangs that are just as violent as Oakland but their crimes are hidden by the police.

Those are some BOLD accusations, which if proven true, would literally turn the SFPD upside down, or destroy the credibility of many local media outlets.

Of course, no one has proven them to be true, so they remain tin foil conspiracies.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm talkin' fear for own safety, not squeemishness. Big difference. And here's a hint fer ya from an old cop, not all confrontations end in blood and gore. Blown my own cookies a time or two.
Like I said, you guys only get to see and report the result of the incident, we actually clean it up, and repair it.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'd like proof of that. I've heard many times the following excuses for why Oakland has high crime:

- The local media demonizes Oakland to make money.
- SFPD doesn't report crimes to keep stats down.
- Danville has gangs that are just as violent as Oakland but their crimes are hidden by the police.

Those are some BOLD accusations, which if proven true, would literally turn the SFPD upside down, or destroy the credibility of many local media outlets.

Of course, no one has proven them to be true, so they remain tin foil conspiracies.
Readeth the articleth that the poster provided.

Quote:
Like I said, you guys only get to see and report the result of the incident, we actually clean it up, and repair it.
Does it bug you that you have to ask me for authorization to do some procedures sometimes?

I have the checkbook...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Readeth the articleth that the poster provided.
One undetermined death of a French national with cloudy details from all the way back in 2007 is proof?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
One undetermined death of a French national with cloudy details from all the way back in 2007 is proof?
Meets the standard of articles that you often provide as proof. Your last verbal vomit got modded though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland