Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Meets the standard of articles that you often provide as proof. Your last verbal vomit got modded though...
I posted an article with clearing rates for 2009, 2010, and 2011 for both Oakland and San Francisco which showed that Oakland clearly solves LESS homicide cases than S.F, data released by each respective department.

How is 3 years of department collected data comparable to one unsolved death?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I posted an article with clearing rates for 2009, 2010, and 2011 for both Oakland and San Francisco which showed that Oakland clearly solves LESS homicide cases than S.F, data released by each respective department.

How is 3 years of department collected data comparable to one unsolved death?
I refer to the huge post about you know what about which topic we can't discuss in your tinfoil hate verbally vomited diatribe on Rebellion. That long post and attached copywrighted materials and whatever else you tossed in that I didn't read.

Didn't even scan, either...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Are you going to try to prove that S.F stats are distorted or not?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Doc, is you forgetting your own posts?

We got right down to your Rebellion description and calling in the national guard and that all got modded out.

Why would I want to try to prove that SF's stats are distorted? I ain't pressing that issue really. Just pointed you to another posters argument.

This is my main point, Doc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Now then. Crime is high in Oakland and we all know this. But as I have pointed out there are safe and fine places to live. And I will continue to point that out. Thank you and do come again.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM

119 posts, read 184,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daisy View Post
Why are you recommending me go out of my way to visit slum area's of SF to prove that SF is like Oakland? Obviously it's not. Tourist want to go to SF not Oakland. I used to own a home in Marin, I'm well aware of SF's higher crime area's. They are NOTHING like Oakland.

I'd also like to add, Oakland is majority lower income and run down. SF has tiny pockets you have to go out of your way to get to. Oakland has huge large flat area's of impoverished crime filled area's. With pockets of decent ones, it's the opposite of SF in that regard.
I have to agree Oakland is worse. I have heard Highland hospital treats way more gun shot wounds than SF General.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
One of the biggest differences in Oakland and SF is how things are spread out in terms of income levels. In SF, you can easily go from wealthy to porr in a block or two (places like PAc Heights come to mind). In Oakland, wealthy areas are surrounded by other wealthy areas, and as you head towoard s the poorer areas, the income gradually declines. There isn't an abrupt shift in income levels block by block, it is a pretty gradual shift in affluence. So wealthier people are more "sheltered" as their neighbors are of similar affluence, or not too far behind in level of affluence.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of the biggest differences in Oakland and SF is how things are spread out in terms of income levels. In SF, you can easily go from wealthy to porr in a block or two (places like PAc Heights come to mind). In Oakland, wealthy areas are surrounded by other wealthy areas, and as you head towoard s the poorer areas, the income gradually declines. There isn't an abrupt shift in income levels block by block, it is a pretty gradual shift in affluence. So wealthier people are more "sheltered" as their neighbors are of similar affluence, or not too far behind in level of affluence.
jade is correct oakland does not have areas
like nob hill next to the tenderloin junkies and dealers
noe valley next to the surenos and nortenos in the mission
or hayes valley next to the gangs and projects in the western addition

furthermore areas like forrestland are so far from areas like east oakland they are not effected by high crime areas

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times
i don't make excuses for oaklands high crime rate i point out that most of the violent crime is localized to specific areas of the city
the overwelming majority of homicide victims in oakland are black and latino youth standing on street corners in east and west oakland after dark. a signifigant percentage of homicide victims are also parolees/probationeers

the low risk of violence to people who do not go to those parts of east oakland or fit that demographic profile is why national and international media rave about oaklands entertainment and dining scene
the globe and mail,cnn/ money magazine,forbes,the huffingtonpost,new york times,food & wine magazine ,boston globe,la times ,washington post,new york magazine,travel +leisure,sunset magazine,7x7 sf,smartertravel,sacremento bee,tastingtable,diablo magazine,conde nast traveler,businessweek,outside magazine,the city traveler,bon appetit magazine wall street journal and the independent UK all are encouraging about oaklands scene.

as the list of media sources continues to grow in praising oakland the people bashing oakland begin to look more and more off.

seriously, when the british press starts talking about oakland's scene i think the denial is getting pathalogical

Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM

119 posts, read 184,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That probably is why the schools seem to be less racially diverse. When I compare my daughters school to the schools of my friends in the East Bay it sounds like some of the schools their kids are attending are very white. My daughters school feels very diverse. There are kids with parents from all over the world. My daughter is caucasian, her father in from England. One of her best friends has parents from El Salvador and her other best friend is half Chinese and half Japanese. It's pretty neat.
I must add that I don't know that to be 100% true of schools in the East Bay because I haven't lived there so you East bay residence know better than I do.I am just going by what I've heard. I did grow up in SF and my daughter is now attending public school here as well. I feel like my knowledge of the SF school system is pretty good.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

seriously, when the british press starts talking about oakland's scene i think the denial is getting pathalogical
Oh, so when local news from Oakland, S.F, Contra Costa County, etc report all the crime problems in Oakland, it's "media distorting" things about Oakland.

But when a British media outlet 7,000 miles away publishes an advertisement piece paid for by the Oakand City Council, it's legitimate press.

Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland