Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,466,933 times

Advertisements

Concord Naval Redevelopment might be revived after developer dropped out early this year. City is searching for a new developer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...l-station.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Yeah, it's just nothing but ugly track housing. Should have just been preserved as ranchlands.

It will be interesting to see the impact of remote work, whether these types of developments increase due to demand from workers relocating from the core of Silicon Valley or less demand from workers leaving the region altogether. It's too early to tell.

I do get the impression that White tech workers are more likely to leave the region than those with ties to specific immigrant communities.

Is East Dublin broadly South Asian or a specific enclave such as Tamil?

This type of extreme insular-ness seems more common with tech enclaves. My impression from the Central Valley Punjabi community is that they're not as insular than in the Tri-Valley.
References, please...

Old 12-02-2020, 04:59 PM

We won't get official data until the census is out but speculation on articles with interviews I've read about personal profiles of the Bay Area exodus and the fact that immigrants are more likely to have existing enclaves.

Typically White Millennial leaving with Boomers staying put.

On the other hand Texas is changing significantly demographically too with a large Indian community in Dallas, and a lot of tech companies are recollecting there.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,308 times
Quote:
We won't get official data until the census is out but speculation on articles with interviews I've read about personal profiles of the Bay Area exodus and the fact that immigrants are more likely to have existing enclaves.

Typically White Millennial leaving with Boomers staying put.

On the other hand Texas is changing significantly demographically too with a large Indian community in Dallas, and a lot of tech companies are recollecting there.

Quite a few in that group are collecting in the Central Valley (Lodi, Tracy, Lathrop) and Sacramento. Some are coming down this way to the So Cal suburbs. Some are moving to Las Vegas, Phoenix and Florida, too. Move to Texas and you get paid Texas wages. That, and much higher property taxes to make up for the lack of income tax.

The White Anglo-dominant theory of "rugged individualism" has taken a nasty toll on younger whites. It has left them without safety nets and close-knit families, it has made their living environments unaffordable and left many of them to flounder. Yet, instead of breaking this cycle, following the lead of immigrants and establishing enclaves like the Italians, Germans and Irish of yesteryear had in the past, they are --again -- choosing rugged individualism and perpetuating the same destructive cycle once more, voting in the same people and thinking things are going to get better...

It's sad to watch.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Quite a few in that group are collecting in the Central Valley (Lodi, Tracy, Lathrop) and Sacramento. Some are coming down this way to the So Cal suburbs. Some are moving to Las Vegas, Phoenix and Florida, too. Move to Texas and you get paid Texas wages. That, and much higher property taxes to make up for the lack of income tax.

The White Anglo-dominant theory of "rugged individualism" has taken a nasty toll on younger whites. It has left them without safety nets and close-knit families, it has made their living environments unaffordable and left many of them to flounder. Yet, instead of breaking this cycle, following the lead of immigrants and establishing enclaves like the Italians, Germans and Irish of yesteryear had in the past, they are --again -- choosing rugged individualism and perpetuating the same destructive cycle once more, voting in the same people and thinking things are going to get better...

It's sad to watch.
Texas wages have grown though so this isn't 1995. For example, the Feds have to pay some of the highest salaries to their employees in Houston because when adjusted for COL, the companies in Houston have high salaries. Same in Austin and Dallas increasingly. And if you're making salary after moving from a high cost state, the property taxes are nothing to worry about because everything else is cheaper. Right now you can fill up your car on $20 in Texas but double that cost in California. Things add up for people especially if you have a family.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Texas wages have grown though so this isn't 1995. For example, the Feds have to pay some of the highest salaries to their employees in Houston because when adjusted for COL, the companies in Houston have high salaries. Same in Austin and Dallas increasingly. And if you're making salary after moving from a high cost state, the property taxes are nothing to worry about because everything else is cheaper. Right now you can fill up your car on $20 in Texas but double that cost in California. Things add up for people especially if you have a family.
Gazing at your posting history gave me a little more insight...

-- All hail Emporer-for-Life Donald J. Trump
-- Covid-19 isn't a serious threat
-- Masks are unnecessary
-- Biden isn't the actual president-elect
-- Texas is heaven on earth
-- California is hell on earth
-- Corporate treatment of workers in America is awesome

Fascinating

Thank you for, at least, maintaining your civility, unlike most of the rest of your QAnon brethren.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Gazing at your posting history gave me a little more insight...

-- All hail Emporer-for-Life Donald J. Trump
-- Covid-19 isn't a serious threat
-- Masks are unnecessary
-- Biden isn't the actual president-elect
-- Texas is heaven on earth
-- California is hell on earth
-- Corporate treatment of workers in America is awesome

Fascinating

Thank you for, at least, maintaining your civility, unlike most of the rest of your QAnon brethren.
While you continue creeping through my post history, go to the ones where I called QAnon a government psyop that was meant to distract. I never believed in that garbage so I have no idea where you get that from. I bet if I go through yours, I can find ones where you praise MSNBC as one of the most trusted news source, and the government really does care about us which is why they subsidize fast food in the ghetto.

Have you stalked a few people in your lifetime? Fascinating that rather than refute any point in my posts, you take the time to read my post history then lie about it.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:

It's sad to watch.
I agree 100% that radical individualism, find your way in the world on your own mentality, has been cancerous, especially for those from Middle Class White backgrounds.

Long term Multi-culturalism is inventible with all groups acting in their group interest.

Are you talking about trends from the current remote work exodus?

My impression is that the Central Valley's Indian community is more working class and Punjabi and insular from the Bay Area's techies who tend to be higher caste Hindus from Southern India.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
While you continue creeping through my post history, go to the ones where I called QAnon a government psyop that was meant to distract. I never believed in that garbage so I have no idea where you get that from. I bet if I go through yours, I can find ones where you praise MSNBC as one of the most trusted news source, and the government really does care about us which is why they subsidize fast food in the ghetto.

Have you stalked a few people in your lifetime? Fascinating that rather than refute any point in my posts, you take the time to read my post history then lie about it.
QNON are whack jobs. Trump lost because he reverted to 2010s Tea Party Conservativism and failed Reaganomics and abandoned any real populism.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 PM

17 posts, read 15,460 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's just nothing but ugly track housing. Should have just been preserved as ranchlands.

It will be interesting to see the impact of remote work, whether these types of developments increase due to demand from workers relocating from the core of Silicon Valley or less demand from workers leaving the region altogether. It's too early to tell.

I do get the impression that White tech workers are more likely to leave the region than those with ties to specific immigrant communities.

Is East Dublin broadly South Asian or a specific enclave such as Tamil?

This type of extreme insular-ness seems more common with tech enclaves. My impression from the Central Valley Punjabi community is that they're not as insular than in the Tri-Valley.
East Dublin is broadly South Asian - mostly punjabis who only converse with punjabis or south indians/tamilians/telugus who only converse with their own kind. This insular-ness and invard-ness could be common with tech enclaves, but its especially more common with Indians due to the caste and creed system they operate on in india.

On a side note, this insular cultural bias is also the reason that historically india has been conquered and ruled so many times because the people themselves create division among themselves over caste, color, religion and fight with each other over these differences rather than uniting against a common foe!

If you see the politics of india currently most indians have become even more casteist and racist since modi was elected, even the indians in east dublin became more radicalized and fundamentalist since then. They had zero tolerance for anyone different from themselves. East Dublin is dominated by indian community and the indians there had this attitude that east dublin belongs to them and people of any other race or religion they made damn sure to make them feel unwelcome. Me and my family left that pathetic dump of a place long back and have never looked back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland