Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM

8,739 posts, read 3,911,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
To avoid tourists just don't go to the part of the city that is a tourist area.
Impossible. As I said, downtown is a place of employment for a quarter million people (that’s just the finance district alone), not counting those who live in/near downtown. Most of us can’t avoid it - and most of us thrive on ‘crowds’ and business, which is why we choose to work here.

Where do you work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM

3,250 posts, read 6,315,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
(Check out the bakery goods at the Cinderella Bakery, on Balboa above 6th.)

I was just at Cinderella Bakery today to get a loaf of their Russian rye bread! It was easy to park a block away on Balboa on this potentially rainy afternoon.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
How is Portola like Chinatown? Do tell.
Portola has recently transformed from a mixed marginal neighborhood to a kind of working class Chinatown. There are a lot of Cantonese speakers. New businesses have popped up in that neighborhood including three new dim sum takeout shops in the past 3 years. There is also a new hot pot restaurant. There are also Chinese grocery stores, Chinese barbeque restaurants, a Hong Kong style cafe and several Chinese herbal medicine shops.

The 港式椰撻 and 馬拉糕 at Ming Hui are just like what they used to have in the Chinese bakeries in the 1980's in SF.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Bingo! For many tourists, those areas are hard to get to and/or are more residential so there's not much as far as landmarks and such they'd be looking to see. Although I would remove Haight st from that list personally.
You are right about Haight St. It has a lot of issues. I just go there for the fabulous produce market.

Note: All of the above photos in this thread were taken with my cell phone camera.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
i was just at cinderella bakery today to get a loaf of their russian rye bread! It was easy to park a block away on balboa on this potentially rainy afternoon.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,601,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamay View Post
My ex has a home in Mill Valley with fabulous views you would see on a postcard. I would pick it over San Francisco. Best of both worlds.
There are *both* worlds! Sry about your ex tho....

Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
To avoid tourists just don't go to the part of the city that is a tourist area. Some very interesting areas with few tourists or crowds are Clement St, Geary St in Outer Richmond,Balboa St. west of 34th in Outer Richmond, Irving between 19th and 26th, Noriega between 30th -33rd, Noriega between 44th-47th, Taraval in the Parkside neighborhood, West Portal, Outer Mission around 30th and Ocean Ave just west of City College.
So what are the things you love about living in Sf? Avoiding people, crowds & tourists?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieB1980 View Post
I don't know if to feel more for you or the man lying there in your callous clip. I'm a photographer, I used to live in Walnut Creek. I would take pictures by the bay and throughout San Francisco all the time. I have captured many of the homeless. It's sick and insensitive for you to take this off the internet to display it like you did with your tag. That's a human being. One thing I like about San Francisco is the compassion.
Ita..... what kind of *sick* person posts something like that in a thread for saying what you love about Sf?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 PM

13,888 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieB1980 View Post
I don't know if to feel more for you or the man lying there in your callous clip. I'm a photographer, I used to live in Walnut Creek. I would take pictures by the bay and throughout San Francisco all the time. I have captured many of the homeless. It's sick and insensitive for you to take this off the internet to display it like you did with your tag. That's a human being. One thing I like about San Francisco is the compassion.

Actually, it's a photo I took myself. I was downtown walking along Turk street and couldn't believe what was going on. Saw two people smoking crack behind a parked car. Another guy pissing in the street. A man arguing with a shop owner who wanted him away from the entrance. The area is ground zero for such madness.

Actually, I blame city officials for this never-ending disaster. Compassion is one thing but enabling such behavior is another.

However, you're correct it doesn't belong on this thread. So let me add this positive... if you walk just one block down to Market street you can find trendy new shops and a few new office buildings. The city of SF is awash with tech money.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any city in the U.S. which is as mismanaged as SF.

God only knows where all the money is spent.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

Actually, I blame city officials for this never-ending disaster. Compassion is one thing but enabling such behavior is another.
The behavior for posting that man's photo with that label is on *you* & no one else. Why would you even take that photo?

& to add...we know his problem, what's yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland