Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 09:43 PM

38 posts, read 29,101 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Walnut Creek. I do a lot of photography, and I'd go into the city for photo ops and my escape from suburbia. I miss the sea lions and having clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, also the museum of modern art. Music and film festivals, restaurants, and the bay are all strong pros, but chilly weather, the homeless, and wind are cons. I also miss Canvas and Cabernet in Walnut Creek, shopping and the Bedford Gallery. Now that I am thinking about it maybe I miss it more than I realized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
Speaking of food, tonight we had food delivered from The Homeroom to go on 40th and Webster in Oakland.

It's a mac and cheese place that is worth the sit ups I'll be doing tonight after I put the kids to bed.

I had the smoky bacon mac'n cheese. #heavenonafork

http://www.homeroom510.com

Old 05-02-2019, 10:26 AM

8,737 posts, read 3,908,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieB1980 View Post
I used to live in Walnut Creek. I do a lot of photography, and I'd go into the city for photo ops and my escape from suburbia. I miss the sea lions and having clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, also the museum of modern art. Music and film festivals, restaurants, and the bay are all strong pros, but chilly weather, the homeless, and wind are cons. I also miss Canvas and Cabernet in Walnut Creek, shopping and the Bedford Gallery. Now that I am thinking about it maybe I miss it more than I realized.
I don’t blame you for missing it - Pier 39 is loved by most and, along with the GG, gives SF its ‘iconic’ image.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,641,921 times
I love living in San Francisco. I am aware that I am very fortunate in being high earner, which enables me to enjoy everything that is offered here, but a lot of my friends aren’t and they still love living in the area. The things I love most actually are pretty cheap and affordable.

There are so many things to love. I love how unique every house and neighborhood is. When I go to other places and see the cookie cutter architecture, it makes me realize how beautiful and quirky SF is. Overall, US architecture pales in comparison to Europe or South America, but San Francisco is definitely one of the most unique places in the US. I love doing urban hikes or riding my bike in different neighborhoods.

I love all the parks and green areas in the city. Golden Gate park’s vastness is stunning. I am still finding random nooks and cranes there after so many years. I have barely tapped all the things in the Presidio and McClaren Park. Mt. Davidson is one of my favorite places.

I love how walkable this city is. And how many things can be explored on foot. All the different restaurants and shops along Geary, Ocean, Clement, 24th, Tarval, Judah etc.

The food is obviously amazing. No need to elaborate much more on this, but every global cuisine is represented and varies from very affordable to expensive – something for everyone in 7x7 area.

I love the vast majority of things that are so easily accessible from SF. Silicon Valley, Marin, Napa, Tahoe, Sacramento etc. I really wish I could explore the East Bay more, but Bay Bridge traffic is truly horrific.

Speaking of traffic, getting around the city is super easy. Yes traffic in and out can be as bad as any major city, but once you are in SF proper, it is actually really easy. Just avoid the highway ramps and you are literally never in traffic.

So many other things – sunsets on Baker Beach, barbecue on Ocean Beach, walks on Land’s End, dive bars in North Beach, dive bars in the Richmond, going to Daly City for Burmese Food, quick hike up San Bruno Mountain, Vietnamese in South SF, all the books in SFPL, all the smart and driven people you come across, walking my pup in the Presidio, I can just keep going and going.

I absolutely love it here. I will be sad if I ever have to leave it, but I will be so grateful for the many years I will have spent here.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
There are so many things to love. I love how unique every house and neighborhood is. When I go to other places and see the cookie cutter architecture, it makes me realize how beautiful and quirky SF is. Overall, US architecture pales in comparison to Europe or South America, but San Francisco is definitely one of the most unique places in the US. I love doing urban hikes or riding my bike in different neighborhoods.
I agree about bike-rides (for physical exercise), but I skip the ‘urban’ hikes/riding in different neighborhoods in favor of taking the GG and the bayside route from Mill Valley to Sausalito. I’d much rather take advantage of the multi-use path and experience the unique natural beauty (up close and personal) of the Area along the way.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-02-2019 at 02:42 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM

653 posts, read 465,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t blame you for missing it - Pier 39 is loved by most and, along with the GG, gives SF its ‘iconic’ image.
Actually, I haven't heard of many people in SF who like (much less, love) Pier 39. I wander down to it once or twice a year just to watch the tourists, but there's very little there of any real interest to people who live here.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
Actually, I haven't heard of many people in SF who like (much less, love) Pier 39. I wander down to it once or twice a year just to watch the tourists, but there's very little there of any real interest to people who live here.
I completely disagree (and I live here). I’m not referring to the shops or eateries - but the vibe (and live music/holiday celebrations and quirkiness which is often a part of the whole area/FW). I also meant ‘loved’ in an ‘iconic image’ way. And, as a previous poster mentioned, who hasn’t idly sat on a lazy weekend morning to watch sea lions (or life pass by) and enjoy some sun. Tourists, yes - but contrary to ‘perceptions’, I personally find the atmosphere, views and feel of it energizing in its own way (and tourism brings a lot of money here). That said, I’m not stating it’s somewhere I go regularly - but I don’t avoid it, either. It has a feel that is unique (and quirky) to SF which you simply can’t experience in any other city in the same way, good or bad - so in that sense, it’s an integral part of living here.

The entire Bay Area is filled with tourists (not just Pier 39 and Fisherman’s Wharf) for that matter; it doesn’t take away from the City’s vibe, uniqueness, the Bay, or the natural beauty. In fact, tourism is a part of that ‘vibe’. Like it or not, Pier 39 and the GG are definitely ‘iconic’ images of the City.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-02-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 07:33 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,438,994 times
Walkable?
I hope you enjoy walking and carrying your grocery. Parking is next to impossible in most of the desirable areas in SF, not to mention shopping districts. Or perhaps you live outside of SF, then it's easier, but it is not SF.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Walkable?
I hope you enjoy walking and carrying your grocery. Parking is next to impossible in most of the desirable areas in SF, not to mention shopping districts. Or perhaps you live outside of SF, then it's easier, but it is not SF.
Carrying groceries (and walking) is a fact of a life in any big city. I’ve seen people use baskets on bikes - as well as ‘carts’. That said, most local stores/grocers will deliver as well. Some residential buildings have shopping/grocery items on-site, too.

SF is very walkable - especially in Union Square/downtown, Chinatown, Presidio, the Tenderloin (be alert after dark), etc.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,438,994 times
Sure, those areas you mentioned in SF are very walkable, so are many areas in many other cities.
Many shopping malls in the country are super walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland