Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 01:53 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times

Advertisements

I know SF always had this problem, but it’s increased a lot. This isn’t an issue or as big of an issue in other parts of the country. The police don’t even do anything in SF. They say well you can come to the office and leave a report if you want. Where I’m at now, you have people leaving their cars unlocked with valuables in plain sight and the police go to your house or wherever it happened when you call to report and they end up sending a newsletter to people in the area asking for any video footage or anything that could help identify them. I think it’s no secret the police there don’t care about it whether it’s because they don’t have power or because they’re lazy, I don’t know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 02:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
I hope you stay away. You'll be happier and so will we.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:36 PM

830 posts, read 486,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. Wondering. Wondering how many smash and grab thieves smash and grab in front of police ... or even in front of someone recording the act with a cell phone even.
1) Park car in break-in hotspot
2) Monitor by police
3) Wait 10 minutes

The best answer I can give to your question about how many smash and grab thieves smash and grab in front of people recording the act with a cell phone is "some". I remember have brunch on the sidewalk at a crowded Mangolia's in the Haight one Sunday when a group of smash and grabbers made the rounds right in front of everyone, knowing the chances of any consequences was very low.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
1) Park car in break-in hotspot
2) Monitor by police
3) Wait 10 minutes

The best answer I can give to your question about how many smash and grab thieves smash and grab in front of people recording the act with a cell phone is "some". I remember have brunch on the sidewalk at a crowded Mangolia's in the Haight one Sunday when a group of smash and grabbers made the rounds right in front of everyone, knowing the chances of any consequences was very low.
Good idea. What makes you think it makes a good use of time and resources on an on-going basis relative to other demands?

By the way:
Quote:
SFPD arrests 12 in connection with string of car burglaries in Japantown

San Francisco police have arrested 12 men in connection with a string of car burglaries.

Most of the burglaries happened in the Japantown area, on Geary Street, between July 26 and last Wednesday.

The suspects range in age from 18 to 39-years-old.

The men were booked on a variety of charges including burglary, possession of stolen property, probation violations, resisting arrest, and more.

Police have been concentrating a lot of effort on catching car break-in thieves.

As of the end of June, auto burglaries were down 20 percent
https://www.kron4.com/news/sfpd-arre...-in-japantown/

Hey, but I bet you know more about policing and courts and resource management than the department. So get on down there with your plan. How could they turn you down in good conscience?

Old 08-29-2019, 03:04 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
You think Ocean beach is clean

That beach has never been the same since the oil spill. It's gross.
It actually has one of the best sewage treatment plans of any large US city. In addition to sewage being treated, SF treats wastewater runoff unlike most other US cities.

So yes it's not too bad.

I haven't seen any oil recently.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
??????

There are locations in SF where multiple cars are reliably broken into every evening and you're wondering how to catch someone committing the crime?!
If that's true I would imagine SFPD is using bait vehicles if not, you should call and ask them why they aren't

Old 08-29-2019, 03:46 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
However, your 2nd statement, that “San Francisco imports homeless people from all over the country, some come willingly and others are bussed here by other cities.” is (very) largely incorrect.
I wonder what months they compile their statistics? I got stuck in OB for a few weeks in October & the homeless were congregating off Newport shouting hellos & waving at their homies who had just got into town.

"Hey man; you just gettin in? How's Joe? He gonna make it out this year?"

Apparently; there actually is a very large & literally transient population that leave their home states before winter hits & head west.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 PM

830 posts, read 486,186 times
Quote:
What makes you think it makes a good use of time and resources on an on-going basis relative to other demands?
Show me where I said it does, and I'll answer your question.

Quote:
Hey, but I bet you know more about policing and courts and resource management than the department.
I appreciate the pretend comment. What triggered you?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:06 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
I don't understand why so many San Franciscans get triggered when any issue is brought to attention. It's like they truly believe, "if you ignore it, it doesn't exist." There is no place that is perfect. There is no place that doesn't have some list of issues. You can admit your city has X, Y, Z problems and still love your city. It reminds me of conservatives who defend every single action or word Trump states, even when they know deep down it's ridiculous. You can criticize him about something and still be a big supporter overall. You can do the same for your city, your state, your country, your species, etc lol.

-Homelessness
-Mental Illness
-Litter
-Car Break-ins

Are serious issues that should be addressed to make the city even better. Acknowledging these exist does not make you a traitor to San Francisco, it doesn't mean you hate it either. If your brother is addicted to crack, you can either ignore it or admit it and try to help him instead of making excuses like, "ohh it's impossible to help him, ohh there are other people addicted to crack, nothing to see here, etc."

Old 08-29-2019, 04:10 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't understand why so many San Franciscans get triggered when any issue is brought to attention. It's like they truly believe, "if you ignore it, it doesn't exist." There is no place that is perfect. There is no place that doesn't have some list of issues. You can admit your city has X, Y, Z problems and still love your city. It reminds me of conservatives who defend every single action or word Trump states, even when they know deep down it's ridiculous. You can criticize him about something and still be a big supporter overall. You can do the same for your city, your state, your country, your species, etc lol.

-Homelessness
-Mental Illness
-Litter
-Car Break-ins

Are serious issues that should be addressed to make the city even better. Acknowledging these exist does not make you a traitor to San Francisco, it doesn't mean you hate it.
That's easy to answer. Re-read the OP that got this thread started. I mean, the thread was over before it ever began. People who don't even visit here post things like that, and it's meant to be less of a jab at the city and more of a jab at liberal politics. These people aren't looking for honest discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland