Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM

159 posts, read 558,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
A "new town" just does not fit there. The whole thing has been an immense mistake.
The "new town" was designed to fit-in with Phase I, which was the Jefferson (now Archstone) at Bay Meadows apartment complex, plus the condos and the trendy little commercial strip with Whole Foods Market, etc. I lived right there during much of the 2000s & my goal was to buy a house in that new, mixed-use development that was going to be built where the horse track was.

Phase I was built atop the old Bay Meadows practice track/field.

Anyway, I paid a lot of attention to the original plans, and it did look (on paper...) to be great. But of course, despite it being private property, San Mateo got all involved on exactly how it'd be redeveloped, and required a certain amount of park space, section-8/"Below Market Rate" housing, etc.

I moved-out in 2008 (because my rent for the 2 bedroom, one bathroom apartment was going up from 2400/month to $2700/month, and the quality of the Archstone San Mateo management & tenants were going down) & it doesn't seem like anything has taken place at the Bay Meadows track site since about 2009, despite all the promises from the developers. I hope they're all losing money, but it's too bad that the city of San Mateo, which extorted all sorts of promises from the developers in terms of the design of Phase II/III, is now apparently not doing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Something I had not realized until very recently (and, conveniently, buried by the main stream media back during the critical decision points in the mid 00's) is the fact that San Mateo has a special tax district to "help" out this debacle. Seed money for the infrastructure, and, assuming they are ever built, the buildings for the now scaled back commercial enclave, is courtesy of John and Jane Q. Taxpayer, not the capital markets or private investors. Yeah ... that's the way to do it! NOT!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM

159 posts, read 558,777 times
Quote:
Something I had not realized until very recently (and, conveniently, buried by the main stream media back during the critical decision points in the mid 00's) is the fact that San Mateo has a special tax district to "help" out this debacle. Seed money for the infrastructure, and, assuming they are ever built, the buildings for the now scaled back commercial enclave, is courtesy of John and Jane Q. Taxpayer, not the capital markets or private investors. Yeah ... that's the way to do it! NOT!

San Mateo (& I assume most other California, or at least Bay Area cities) gets involved with everything, because they want to implore/coerce/force private enterprises creating commercial/residential developments to have a percentage available at 'below market rates' instead of the usual capitalist approach of letting the market decide value & people's own finances deciding where they can afford to live.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Finally some news about this one:

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-county/ci_18831571

Translation - they are doing the bare minimum to avoid the site being declared "blighted."

Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Finally some news about this one:

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-county/ci_18831571

Translation - they are doing the bare minimum to avoid the site being declared "blighted."
Just out of curiosity, what do YOU think should be happening at this site? What is your vision?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do YOU think should be happening at this site? What is your vision?
Don't try to rush the end of the racing (water under the bridge at this point), let the market determine it without any artificial meddling by government.

Let developers' plans and zoning determine usage, don't have a specific "TOD" goal in mind.

Don't even think about relocating the location of the Hillsdale station.

Don't give developers a 17 year option on a parcel of land.

Etc, etc, etc.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Fake out San Mateo and put a pro football stadium in there when nobody's looking.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Fake out San Mateo and put a pro football stadium in there when nobody's looking.
Now you're onto something here!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM

I am not at all surprised about this:

Bay Meadows development facing 2013 deadline | Katie Worth | Local | San Francisco Examiner

The whole TOD / Green thing is so 1990s. So characteristic of decadent boom times.

Now, during hard times, utopian schemes start to tarnish.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM

Sort of interesting, vis a vis this topic and the S'vale Town Center / Town and Country site debacle:

The Post Sustainability Institute - Our Mission

I find this site to be a bit less Black Helicopterish than others I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland